You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Possible Poltergeist Activity

Real Ghost Stories

Possible Poltergeist Activity

 

This story is very different to my previous submissions which have involved Sleep Paralysis episodes and Out of Body Experiences.

Although there are some strange things that do occasionally happen in my house - flickering lights, the kettle coming on for no reason and phantom footsteps at night/first thing in the morning. I just put these things down to rational explanations like faulty electrics or an over-active imagination on my part.

But what happened to me last week really freaked me out. Last Saturday we had been out all day (my mother, father and I). We came back quite late. It is only the three of us who live in the house. On returning home, I went into my bedroom to fetch a few things and was horrified by what I saw... My floor was covered in broken glass and bits of porcelain - a small glass bowl and a vase that had been on my window ledge had fallen onto the floor and smashed into smithereens all over the carpet. It actually looked like my room had been vandalized. The shock of the sight nearly made my heart stop!

I know some of you will be saying to yourself - the objects must have just fallen off the window ledge. I would have thought the same but here are some things to take into account:

1. The window was closed so there would have been no gusts of wind to blow over the objects and also no one could have broken into the house.

2. The objects had not been placed on the edge of the window ledge to be able to fall off.

3. The curtains had been closed. How could the objects fall through thick pulled curtains?

4. My bed is situated between the window ledge and the floor so surely they would have fallen here first and not smashed directly onto the floor. The bed would also have broken their fall and would not have been so badly damaged.

5. The objects were smashed so badly, they looked like they had been purposely thrown onto the floor. My whole bedroom (which is quite big) was covered in fragments of glass and porcelain. It took me ages to clear the mess up and I was scared of cutting myself.

As I had said before, there were definitely no other people in the house to be in my bedroom and we didn't have a break-in. This has been puzzling me ever since it happened. I have asked my parents again and again if they had been in my room before hand but as I said before, we had been out all day.

The only other explanation that crossed my mind was possible Poltergeist activity; the phenomenon when objects move on their own accord. Our house has never experienced this type of thing before. When I told a friend about my Sleep Paralysis experiences, she joked that maybe our house is haunted. I must admit that sometimes I do feel uncomfortable in the house for no reason as if there is some type of presence or just a feeling of not belonging. I also get a creepy feeling from time to time before going to bed but I just related this to my Sleep Paralysis. Apart from this, I have never witnessed any objects moving on their own.

Would any readers have any ideas about what could have caused the above to happen? Any views will be considered, either rational or paranormal.

Other hauntings by EMMA-M

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EMMA-M, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EMMA-M (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
Hi Javelina

Well, this was actually the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the damage in my room. I checked every possibility of a break-in. As I said in my story, the windows in my room and every other house were closed due to the cold weather. There were no other signs of a forged entry upstairs or downstairs- broken doors, tampered locks. No other rooms in the house were damaged and none of our belongings were missing. My parents have completely ruled out a break in. My Dad thinks I accidentally knocked the curtain which caused the objects to fall. But we had been out all day and this was the first time I had entered my room since our return. There are a few other objects sitting on my window sill and I can't understand why it was this vase and glass bowl (they weren't expensive items). I remember the vase had a sun and moon printed on it and the glass bowl looked like a crystal ball when turned upside down. These were not big objects but were completely smashed to bits. I am still finding fragments of debris in odd places not even near to where they fell from. Whatever caused these objects to fall had a great force. I even think if they had just fallen, they might have been just cracked or chipped. My window sill is not all that high. I am still puzzled myself about this event.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
Emma, Please explain how you know there wasn't a break in. I'm just trying to stow away any loose ends here, not casting doubts.
EMMA-M (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
Hi Guys! Thanks for your comments. I am still reeling from Tonto's story - Two Marines vs The Grim Reaper. My experiences have never been as extreme as his - getting electric shocks etc. Anyway I will answer you each in turn.
Jenheartsu - I didn't hear any of this activity. I had been out all day and it happened while we were absent from the house. If I had heard the smashing, I would have been too terrified to enter the room to see who/what was doing it.
SmokeyKnight - I live in Ireland where earthquakes don't happen. Any slightest tremble would make headline news here so I am ruling this out.
Darkness & Cosmogal926 - I was kind of thinking along these lines - that some sort of entity is trying to grab my attention. It certainly was successful on this occasion. My uncle died some years ago and he used to live with my Nanny. Just after his death, her kettle would come on without any one touching it and other members of the family thought it was his spirit living on in her house. We had to get rid of Nanny's house after her death. I was even thinking it could be him. Funny enough, just tonight some apples that were sitting on top of our fridge fell on top of my head and nearly knocked me out. They just came out of nowhere and I was shocked. My head still hurts - lol! I hope this wasn't the same thing that caused the wreckage in my room but then again that could have just been coincidence. I read from one of posts of my other stories that there could be negative vibes in the house. My Mum suffers from sleep paralysis like me but my Dad thinks we're both crazy. My Mum also thinks our house could be haunted. My Dad is the biggest sceptic and has yet to experience anything paranormal in our house. Apparently the woman who lived here before us had a relative commit suicide but it didn't happen in this house. My Mum thinks this could be the cause of it all. I will keep you all posted about what happens.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
I agree with Darkness. It does sound like something is progressing in it's activity. I am not sure if it is a poltergeist or just the spirit of someone who lived in the house or on the land before you. It doesn't seem like it wants to hurt you or your family and is probably just looking for attention. I would suggest doing a little research on the home if you can. Try to find out who lived there before you and what if any events took place there. You can also try leaving out a recorder over night and see if you catch any evp's. Thanks for sharing your story and keep us posted.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
EMMA-M: Has your parents ever experienced anything within the home? I honestly don't think it to be a poltergeist but if things continue like this it mite be the case. I think whatever may be there is after your attention it started with subtle things like the kettle, lights and footsteps and has now done something a bit more drastic. I think it would be wise to see if anything else happens in the next few weeks so we can get a better idea as to what is happening. Please keep us posted with this. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Any fault lines by your residence? I'm thinking if not paranormal activity, maybe an earthquake. Just a thought. All I could suggest outside of paranormal things for the moment.
jenheartsu (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Personally, I think it IS Poltergeist activity. But, wouldn't you hear it from the room you were in? I mean, even though it landed on carppet, you could still hear porcelain breaking...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: