You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Not Ready

Real Ghost Stories

Not Ready

 

This is my first story that I've posted on here so I thought I'd make it a pleasant one. However in order for there to even be a story at all it was unfortunately necessary for a bit of misfortune.

Exactly one week ago, after being out with friends the previous night, I was walking home at about 2:30am. I live about a minutes walk from the local pub on the corner. I was on the phone to my friend at the time (he always stays on the phone to me until I get home) and as I reached the corner I saw an animal lying on the edge of the path. My first thought was "Aw, it's been run over." As I got closer I realized that it was actually someone's cat. At that moment I really felt for the owner as I knew how I would feel if it had been mine.

When I was finally close enough to see the colors of the cat's fur, my blood ran cold and I completely fell apart. It was my cat. Through my tears I managed to tell my friend, he was nearly home himself by that time, which ran to me. To cut a long story short, we went and got my mum (who was in bed) and one of my brothers, went and brought the cat (who was still alive, barely) into the house where he took his final breaths.

Since then I have been hearing the bell from his collar in my room and scratching at the front door (he used to do this to be let in, didn't like going round the back like the other two). My bed is always freezing apart from the warm space at the end where he used to sit. And I keep seeing his tail as it goes past doorways and round corners, but maybe I'm simply imagining it?

I seem to be taking his passing harder than anyone else. When we first got him we were originally only supposed to be getting one cat, but when I saw him I knew he was meant to be mine. I was the one to find him to bring him into our lives and I was the one to find him before he was taken from our lives.

I truly believe that it is him still with us, and I feel it down to my bones. He's not ready to go anywhere.

Other hauntings by DarkRose

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DarkRose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DarkRose (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
SmokeyKnight - I think so too, not forgetting that for Ancient Egyptians cats were also the quardians of the Underworld.

I'm pretty certain that my other two cats can sense him. Even when its completely silen in the house they will suddenly look up and watch something.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
I had a Dog once at the age 7 I think and He got ran over after he ran from under the fence its so sad wake up and find from mom that she tell me to bad news. Now we have cat I wouldn't let her out of the house cause of flea and get hurt I love my cat. I know your cat is watch out for you to let you know he is there and loving you. We sure missed their felines but we will see it again when our times come.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
If you follow certain belief systems (I'm reminded of the movie Constantine), cats are half in this world and half in the next. So it wouldn't be too far fetched to believe your cat is still hanging out on our side. Cats always have been great guardians.

I gotta say, I never liked my cats going outside for fear of that exact thing. Fortunately, my 15 (ish) year old tabby likes looking outside when the door is open but wants absolutely NOTHING to do with the outside world.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
Oh hon, I'm so sorry for your loss. And I'd have to say that your cat has decided to stay for a while, It's just that way sometimes. I still have one of my dogs that has passed long ago hanging around. She's a comfort to us, and what's funny is that you can tell when she's around because the other two won't lay in her old spot at those times. It's sweet. ❤ 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
sorry for your loss but it does sound like your cat is happy to stay with you even in spirit.
It might feel strange now but you will get used to it.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I too have lost more than one of my beloved feline companions. Two of mine were hit by cars and a third died due to a terrible kidney infection. I truly believe that when our animal friends leave the living world, they continue to watch over us from the spirit world.
DarkRose (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I've always heard that animals were better able to communicate too 😁 It makes it better to know that he's okay ❤
secrets (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
okay this makes my comment seem worse my cousin rides my bus he live right next to train tracks while the bus driver was pulling up an amtrak train came on the track and ran over his cat and ripped it in two he just stood there shocked and got back in his moms car and went home crying hes a junior in highschool and I'm only 8th grade we hate eachother (our personel stuff we don't get along well and one day on the bus I got mad at him and nailed him in the face was a 5th grader he was a freshmen and evreyone hates him and I'm not exagerating) for the first time I felt bad for him because I have never seen him like that T_T well if it was your cat after it passed then your lucky (that it still wants to be around with you) god bless you and becareful
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
OMG I know how you feel. One of my cats got ran over too. I am so so sorry for your loss. It is hard to find them like that. My kitty didn't survive either. Now I'm crying. He is letting you know he is ok. It does get easier.
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
So sorry for your loss. It's been said that animals possess a greater ability to communicate than people once they've "passed on". I'm sure, as people told me too when I lost my dog, that it's him just letting you know he's ok. Hang in there...you'll always miss him but it does get easier.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: