You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Woman Who Haunts Underwood Baptist Church

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Woman Who Haunts Underwood Baptist Church

 

There was an A.A. Meeting every Thursday night in a very old church not far from my home called Underwood Baptist Church. My dad would attend these meetings every week, so to support his recovery I would come in about an hour early to set up the room for the meetings every Thursday. I would prop the doors open, turn on all the lights, make the coffee, lay out pamphlets and self help books, and arrange the chairs in perfect circles.

I had always had an uneasy feeling being in the church by myself and it was only a matter of time before I experienced something paranormal. It is very old and has lots of historical background so it's bound to have some kind of entities still hanging around. The only thing that looked new was the hideous linoleum they used to cover up the concrete stairs for a more presentable look. In short, the place was creepy as hell.

So there I was, another Thursday night towards the end of autumn. I propped the doors open, turned on all the lights, made the coffee, laid out the pamphlets and self help books, and all I had left to do was arrange the chairs. I had been setting them up for about a minute when I heard footsteps like someone had arrived early for the meeting because this has happened many times before. I looked over and a white haired old lady had come into the room. She wore a white sweater with pink roses on it, glasses, and white pants to match. She started walking towards the coffee that I had just plugged in to be made and I said, "It isn't done yet. I just plugged it in." I turned to fix the chair I had been working on putting into place before, turned back around to see if she heard me, maybe 2 seconds later, but she was gone.

It was a big room and there's no way she could've disappeared that quickly without me hearing it or anything and knowing I was the only one in the entire church was very unsettling. I couldn't get out of there quick enough! It was about another half an hour until someone showed up for the meeting, but while I was sitting there I had been trying to make sense of what I had just experienced, but to this day I can't come up with any reason or explanation.

To my understanding, there was a woman who had recently died in the church so this may explain a little bit of what happened but it still caught me off guard and I still get a little creeped out whenever I think about it again.

I still have the key, but I won't ever go back alone. This was my first sighting of an actual ghost and even though I was scared at the time, I am still very interested in hearing other stories and knowing that other people believe in ghosts as well as me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ghost_Girl93, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hplove75 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
When I was very young I believe I may have seen an entity in out church in Ohio. I should write it out. Great creepy story and brought some memories back for me:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
[at] genji123,
That would be a wonderful story you could share with us, plus the picture would make it even better! Hope to read it as a story soon. 😊

[at] Ghost_Girl93,
It's hard to say if you experienced a residual or intelligent haunting at the church. But because there was no interaction between the two of you I'd go with residual until proven otherwise. Just a recorded imgage of a previous member being played back and you just happened to be there at the appointed time.
Nothing to be afraid of when dealing with residuals, as all they do is repeat their actions from a previous time with no real thought or purpose.
😊
genji123 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
ive seen one in a catholic church cause I'm catholic. I didn't get scared cause I'm in the real church catholic church is the only real church and I thought that was an angel or something can't be a demon its a church plus I'm not afraid! I also saw her today too I kind of freaked out it was one hour ago but I'm in mic donald now I got my ipad I got a pic of her too she prayed I herd her pray and that's when I took a pic then she diseapred!
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
I think in any significant place like a church there is always a feeling of difference. I'm not quite sure how we ever make sense of these feelings, especially when we're new to them and have not experienced much of energerial sorts before. The difference always seems much more distinct. I'm not religious and I don't do any A.A type events but I'm a blood donor and sometimes those are held in a Church and I know that I get strange feelings around there, and that's not just because of the twenty people bleeding in front of me. (Haha!)

I'm liking the idea of residual energy and I agree with those comments, I don't think I'm in a place to ever tell you that what you saw wasn't supernatural because I have no idea of what the room was like. Only you the witness could judge the distance. Some psychic transfer left over from recent events is in my view always going to be clearer showing a spirit to look very immediate if the death was recent.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope you don't run into anymore encounters alone in the church again in the near future.
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-26)
I've read a few of the comments - and like them - I agree. This woman meant you no harm - I doubt that you'll run into a bad spirit in a church - but I'm new to this - so what do I know 😆. However, its still a tad jarring to see a ghost - good or bad.

I do believe that you saw a ghost - if the woman was still alive - I think she would have said something to you and you would have heard her walk away.

sorry that I could not help - but this was a good story - thank you for sharing❤
Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Fact is that ghosts are everywhere, especially in places of worship!:) I'm sure the little lady meant no harm... Blessed be! ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Sounds like this woman was maybe a member of the church and maybe preformed the same functions yiu did, but for different events. This sounds like residual energy left-she probably did not even know you were there. I would have been scared spit less any how, Just hope she is able to find peace,

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Thank for sharing yourt story.

All chruches has a easy and uneasy feel to them regardless of the history.

Can I ask how did you come to the understanding that a woman died in the church?

I am a little unsure as to whether it is a ghost you saw. May be there was little old lady who did really come for a coffee. You setting out the chairs did not notice she had left.

Thanks anyway.
lulusghosts79 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Great story and what an encounter! Churches are such a place of comfort to some people in life it is not hard to believe it may have been an old member who has passed on. I can totally understand you feeling creeped out! I would too! Have you talked to anyone about it and heard if anyone else has experienced anything?
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Hello Ghost_girl93,

What a spooky and wonderful sharing this is! I have had some direct contacts seeing spirits myself, as many of us here, and each time it felt a bit scary. Going back to those places where the haungting happened, can indeed be difficult!
Greetings,
Peter 😉
longtimebeliever (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
It almost sounds as though she didn't even see you. She may be a lost spirit just going to the place she knows best.
erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
If I were you I wouldn't worry about this older lady doing anything to you because she didn't harm you in anyway the first time.

Best of luck

-erin19 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: