You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Madras Girl Possessed

Real Ghost Stories

Madras Girl Possessed

 

When I was very young, maybe 7 or 8 years old, a peculiar thing has happened in our neighbourhood. We were living in the heart of the city of Madras. If you can think of what Madras looked like about 35-36 years ago, from the present improved city, we would be surprised. One of the families living nearby my household was a joint family. My friend, Manoharan, also lived in that family. It was a big family of over 13 persons with cousins, aunts, uncles etc living under one single roof.

We used to have a lot of fun and the boys and girls of my age group used to play with each other. Elderly boys and girls would be among themselves. It was real fun to be with their family since our family was quite smaller in size. My friend Manoharan's cousin, Rajeswari, was 12 years elder to him and she also lived in the same family in our neighbourhood. They used to dine together, play together, celebrate together etc. Once, Rajeswari, went to a village to attend a marriage of her relative with some of the family members.

When she came back, there was a change in her attitude. She started behaving like a man quite often. Initially, we never got used to that. But, one day when I was in my friend's house and they were sitting together to have their lunch. Suddenly Rajeswari in a loud and manly voice said, "Hi, I am hungry and I am going to eat." I could not believe my eyes, she ate all the things that were kept in that hall and everyone was dumbfounded. We, children, were scared to the bones. When I asked my friend, Manoharan, he said that this was happening for the first time. After she took the food, she asked for a cigar. Manoharan's father gave her a cigar and after she smoked, she fell down. When she awoke, she was quite normal and said that she was feeling hungry. By that time, it was well over half an hour from what had happened and Manoharan's mother and his aunts, started cooking fresh food for the rest. To my dismay, when the food was cooked, she ate like everybody and was her usual normal self. I was told by Manoharan's father that this continued for 3-4 times after this first incident.

Later realizing that something must have happened to the girl, they called a priest to find out what had happened. The priest made elaborate arrangements and put kolam and asked Rajeswari to sit down in that kolam. We were seeing the ritual with all seriousness and fear. After some time, the priest started asking questions to Rajeswari. She did not answer well for the first 15 minutes or so and suddenly, we could feel that somebody or something in her body started talking to the priest. It said, "I am Muneeswaran. When she came to kattupakkam village, she was wearing a white half-saree, she was with her hair untied and I was in the tree and I wanted to enter her body because I was attracted towards her and I entered her body." Every one was shocked. But the priest continued and asked whether it would go away. To this it said, "Yes. I would. But you should give me a feast with non-vegetarian food, liquor and cigar. Then I would leave."

The priest immediately ordered Manoharan's father and Rajeswari's father to arrange for the feast. It was a grand feast with all non-vegetarian stuff, chicken, mutton with spiced items besides a bottle of local liquor and a pack of cigars. We were witnessing with awe and to our dismay, it finished off the entire feast single-handedly and started drinking the local liquor without any hesitation. It smoked 2 cigars and later told the priest that it was satisfied and bade good bye. Rajeswari fell down and was unconscious for over 3 years.

When she woke up, there was nothing unusual about her and she was her usual self. From that day on, her behavior was normal and without any aberrations. But, for those 15-20 days when she was under the control of Muneeswaran, we were literally scared to go near her. Even after all these rituals happened, it took more than 2 months for us to go near her and started interacting with her.

Recently, Manoharan, my friend and me, we went to Rajeswari's house. She is now quite old with grand children and we recollected the scary incidents in retrospect.

Other hauntings by sds

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sds, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
Hi, sds thanks for your reply... Our customs are really amazing and sometime meaningful. 😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
Hello Singha2014, Thank you very much for your compliments. Should we add spice to real experiences. I don't think so. And in real life situations especially in paranormal aspects, it is always matter of fact and 95% of the times, it won't even be dramatic like in movies.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Singha2014 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
Hi SDS,

I have read most of your stories, very good and genuine no artificial added to make it spicy. Original and Excellent.
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
I love learning other custom as it will enrich my knowledge and expand my perception toward others. Being young, your experience was scary enough to me sds. My borneo custom is slightly different from yours. We are not allowed to go out after noon especially barefoot as evil spirits can enter our body easily. We also cannot go around (circling) the house or shine any lights to distant objects. And every thursdays night was supposed to be the ghosts 'night out'. My grandmother who lives in remote village is very adhere to these customs. I live near the town anyway so I am only 'tied' to the rules when my family and I go to visit her. Some of my customs sound silly but I know I cannot just take it lightly.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
Hi Sheetal, thank you very much for your nice comments. What you said about ladies, especially unmarried girls going out at noon after having oil bath and with untied hair, is quite true and that custom still prevails in our villages.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
hi sds... You know in our villages it is said that if a girl go outside in noon with washed untied hair with any perfume ghost will attract to you and possessed you. So when we go village our elders never allow us to go outside in noon.

Coming to your story... I think our elders are right. 😁 I have also witnessed a fear from a possessed person in my hometown.

Thanks for sharing us... 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-01)
Dear curious_sami, in fact nobody was hurt when this happened. Except in my hurry to type out the story, I made a mistake of typing 3 years instead of 3 hours. Haha.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
curious_sami (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-01)
a dramatic story it is. It was a good one at that I do hope no one was hurt during those happenings...
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
Dear Yalisai, why should I take offence to your comments. It is your opinion. That is all. Nice to know that another Chennai person is also a contributor in YGS.

Coming to paranormal, especially in villages, there are plenty of beliefs but only a few could be directly connected to paranormal. But as far as Muni is concerned, I have seen many times, cigars and non-veg food are offered to satisfy.

In many villages even now, they make it as a regular yearly ritual to satisfy Muni.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
Hello SDS...

I completely believe in your story. Because I have heard a lady who got possessed asked for cigar in my village. It believed to be ghost of an old man who died few years back.

Between...I am your part of world... From Chennai!

So no offense... Nice sharing though!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
Hello Yalisai, it is true. But it happened years ago. But even now in villages, for Muneeswaran, cigar and non vegetarian food are offered. Muneeswaran is generally a demigod, who protects families and villages. Muni, as he is generally called in villages, also reminds people of their offerings, if they have not been doing it for quite sometime.

Yes, as you said, in villages sightings and possession by Muni are quite common.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
After she took the food, she asked for a cigar. Manoharan's father gave her a cigar and after she smoked, she fell down/// Umm...funny!

But I believe in your story as I have heard lot more similar stories happened in my village. Poor gal...
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
Rockangel3, I told in my comments that it was a typographical error. It is actually 3 hours.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
rockangel13 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
So this happened in Tamil Nadu? Well, I actually live in Chennai. Very interesting tale. But was she unconscious for 3 years?! Or three days? 😕

Take care
Rockangel13
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-31)
Hi javeline,

Yes there is cultural difference. Mostly in India I have seen the ghosts which possess don't usually tell lies if it promises to Go it'll go but this promise is done to not jsut ordinary person but to priests like that.
Usually even in my village I have seen mostly posses people ask for food and if its a female ghost she usually asks for flower (jasmine as this flower is adnorned by females in southern india) or they ask to see their favorite family member if they are around.

But mostly when asked to promise they will not do so easily but in the end when these ghosts promise they keep the promise (promising ghosts and I even joke that only human's tell lie ghosts or anything else they don't tell lie and they keep their promise lol)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
Hi Unexplained, it was 3 hours. I have mentioned in my subsequent comment that it was typographical error, which I failed to see at the time I forwarded it to the site.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Hi SDS, great story. Just one thing. Was the possessed girl unconscious for 3 years or was it a shorter period of time? I wasn't sure how she could survive for so long without being able to eat or drink.

U.
shobha (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
great story, as an Indian, I can identify with the stuff you have described
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
Nice story, very theatrical. I like to learn about how ghosts are dealt with in cultures different from my own. Possession is a scary thing. I'm glad she made it through. It was very interesting to me how the spirit left, with a feast and a cigar. I've never heard of a spirit who bargained like that. This was a good read. Does she remember what she was going through during the time that she was possessed?
She138 (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
That was a very intriguing tale! It is sad that your friends cousin had to go through that, but it will give her something interesting to tell her grandchildren!:)
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
That's interesting. I've also witnessed something along those lines.

My family practiced "Santeria" which is linked to the occult and let me tell you, it was some scary stuff (for lack of a better word). The invoked spirits would smoke cigars and chug down hard liquor straight out of the bottle, as if it were a glass of water. By the way, that wasn't the scary part. 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
sds,
Thank you for clearing that up. I wanted to wait before I posted to see what happened. That makes so much more sense now. *Whew!* 3 years is a bit long.
Anyway, this is a very interesting experience because to me it shows the differences in our cultures carries over into the spirit world. For instance, if you notice, some have thought it strange that a spirit would take over a persons body just to eat food, some did not. But in India it probably isn't questioned much. Plus the fact that the spirit said he would leave after the feast he ordered and then DID leave is something we wouldn't expect to happen. Here it seems that any possession is a life and death struggle for all involved. It just doesn't occur to us that maybe we can just strike a deal.
I find that very interesting.
Thanks again! 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
I am sorry. My mistake. It was actually three hours. I have read the story for over 4 times before submitting. But, I could not spot the mistake. I am really sorry about the same.
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Are you sure it was three years? Perhaps you ment something else?
-Hayz
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Wow that was certainly a nice bit of prose. If you worked on that story a bit more you might be able to sell it.

Cause I'm not buying it.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
i am certain that a spirit would enter a body for the sole purpose of gluttony. I can actually see that happening quite often as food is a physical pleasure. But as far as the story goes... Not so much.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Granny,
Got it... I should switch my mindset from Julie Barnes to Pinky Tuscadero?...I can live with that.

Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Lou: Yeah, just needed clarification on that point... Thanks for the congrats, and yes, I look just like Peggy Lipton, except for the hair, eyes, mouth, and body 😆...Mod Granny, in my pink spandex outfit, riding my pink scooter, carrying my super-soaker full of holy water!...Now, there's an image for ya' 😆 ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Zzsgranny,
I took it that the two months was after the three year nap... But the statement that it occurred after all the rituals were performed is confusing, to say the least.
Sds, I believe that you believe all that was told to you and all that you saw during this situation, but I am confused as to why a spirit would inhabit a human body just for the purpose of gluttony. I could understand a spirit needing a physical body to perform a physical task that a spirit form could not... But since when do spirits get hungry?

Ahhh...now I know why I can't stop eating ice cream!

Oh, and Granny, congrats on joining the Mod Squad, do you look like Peggy Lipton?

;) Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
sds: I'm a bit confused... You state in your story that this girl was unconscious for 3 years... Was she in a coma?...And if so, how were you able to interact with her 2 months after?...It's pretty hard to interact with someone in a coma...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: