You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mercury in the Water

Real Ghost Stories

Mercury in the Water

 

This occurred some time ago, but it is still very vivid in my mind of what happened that night. My fiance, our friend Ed and I were out joy riding around one night and it was pretty late. It was probably close to midnight. We were starting to get bored and my fiance James spoke up and said "well what do you guys want to do?". I couldn't think of anything and quite frankly I was getting a little tired and I wanted to go home. Our friend ED said "why don't we take her to that house off of highway 36?" I said "what house?" and James said "you'll see".

So he started driving in that direction and we came to this huge run down two story house. Immediately I felt uneasy and nausea. The house had no paint on it, the doors were gone and the windows were all busted out. There was a falling in barn on the far right of the house near the back yard and in the front yard there was a few trees, but one in particular was very big. In the back yard from what I could see there was just an old cellar. Also in the front yard, there was what looked like to be a falling in well.

I asked James what the story was on this house. He said that back in the 1900's there was a family that lived here, a husband and wife and their children (I can't remember how many children). I said "ok so why did you guys bring me out here?" and he said that when they lived here, somehow mercury got into their well water and caused them all to go insane. The man killed all of his children with an axe, hung his wife in the front yard on that really big tree I mentioned earlier and then shot himself in the front yard afterwards.

Now I do know that you can find this article in the newspaper in the library of my town so I know that there is truth to this. I said ok, I didn't really know what to expect at this point and then our truck died. Well, that didn't really scare me because vehicles do that sometimes when they set and idle for a few minutes. I was looking around and my eyes came to the side of the house near the back yard and I will swear to this. I saw a HUGE Dog, I know it was a dog because I could see the glint of reflected light on his eyes when he would turn his head and I could see his pink tongue moving in and out of his mouth as he panted. I could also see his ribcage as he was breathing. This dog was no ordinary dog. It was gigantic, I can't think of any breed of dog or animal that could be that big. I just stared and pointed, I was utterly speechless.

The guys looked at each other and looked at me and then the truck died again and would not start. Then from the corner of my eye, I saw movement, the guys saw it too because they turned their heads to look in the same direction I was looking in. There was someone walking through the house. And the weird part was that one minute this thing would be upstairs, where you could see it in the window, and the next minute it would be downstairs in the window.

I was very frightened by this point. I started feeling as if I couldn't breathe it was like pressure on my chest. I looked around the yard and thought I saw someone walking around, the guys saw it to but this was not a regular person, I do not think it was as if one moment it was a full figure and the next moment, you could almost see through him.

James was trying to start the truck and it finally did, we pulled out of the driveway and started for home. They won't admit it but they were just as scared as I was. When we got home, I started some bath water, I looked in the mirror and saw some thing on my chest there was a massive hand print! I called James in to look at it and said that he saw it too, I think that while we were at that house something was pushing on my chest that's why I couldn't breathe. I did see other things at that house that night but I do not know how to explain them.

I will however get a copy of that news paper article and post it up on this web site. But I need to know how I go about doing that. Whether or not what I saw that night was just all three of our imaginations or not the hand print was very real.

Other hauntings by carolynknowles

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, carolynknowles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Angelyn (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-16)
I am also very interested to see this article. I live in MO and I have never heard of anything happening like this. Of course, I have not heard about everything that has ever occurred in the history of MO, so the story could very well be true! I am very curious as to where in MO this happened...
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
carolynknowles, did you ever find those newspaper articles? I'd love to see them. Great story. Glad you shared it with us.
BaD (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-14)
I don't know, I was thinking about the dog, and you know there are some HUGE dogs out there. But I can't see what you saw. Too bad huh? That to me was the most interesting thing. But I don't know. Loved your story though!
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-14)
Hi abby we are still looking for it I will post it as soon as I can . Thanks carolyn
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-13)
Dear carolynknowles,

Did you ever get that copy of that newspaper article? I, and I am sure some other readers here on the site have been waiting to read it. Hope to hear from you soon and read the article.

True Blessings, Abby
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-04)
I wasn't upset or outraged lol. I was just saying... That's what I saw that night wether there was good lighting or not if you choose not to believe that then that's ok. Thnks Carolyn.
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-03)
Thank you Shane your great! :) I do not however think that this was what type of ghost it was, or what ever it was lol.
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-03)
sorry enchantee I went back and read my comment to you and saw that I missed a few words lol. What I meant to say was that this site was not to debunker stories, it is to share an experience with people. And if you are going to sit there and try and demeaner my story, then... What is the fun in that. Yes I'll admitt that you have some good pointsm, but that is what I saw. I do thank you for your comments though.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-03)
I think what cupcake is refering to is a residual haunting. But for one little mistake. Residual hauntings don't interact with the living. They are like a video tape being played over and over. I could be wrong and she could have a new description for a haunting I have never heard of.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-03)
the hand print didn't stain my shirt there was a hand print on my skin. What is a replay ghost cupcake10132 :)
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-03)
well first of all this site is to debunker stories it is to share an experience. The headlights were on. And this house was sitting just off the highway. So enchantee I am not a liar the way the drive way is on that house it sets almost in front off it so you can light up a pretty good space. So anyways thankyou for your comments.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-02)
Woah.If the hand print looked real and it stained your shirt, then you it might have been replay ghosts.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-06-01)
It seems you have a thing for seeing dead dogs, carolynknowles :P And yeah, it'd be really nice to have that newspaper article.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: