You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Callum

Real Ghost Stories

Callum

 

All of you have read 'Mandy's Home' will know Spike was a good friend of mine. This story starts after Spike moved out of my flat.

Spike and his girlfriend Abbie had been going out together for about a year when they had their first son Callum. I don't mind admitting I got very broody when I saw how happy they were and I would spend a lot of time with them helping out where ever I could.

Now Abbie and spike were not well off they got by but where Callum was concerned only the best would do and Abbie's mum had brought them a brand new wooden crib that could be unlocked and would rock now I must add the locking system was at both ends of the crib attached to the frame and had to be pushed up and out from the crib to allow it to rock.

For the first few weeks all was well and quiet, one day Abbie asked me to go into town with her as the baby monitors had broken and she needed a new set. As soon as we returned to the house Abbie noticed the living room door the door at the bottom of the stairs and the bedroom door were all open Abbie kept all doors shut as she had a fear of house fires. Thinking spike must have come home while we were out as he only worked a mile away and would pop home at dinner time some days. She brushed it off and got on with a few chores while I sat with Callum in the living room and set up the baby monitors.

An hour or so later Abbie had fed Callum and put him down for an afternoon nap in his crib giving her chance to check the monitors worked she set of the mobile and locked off the crib (I know she did this as I was there with her) we went down stairs and quietly chatted with the monitor on full incase Callum woke up.

About half an hour went but when we both heard Callum whimper a bit like he would if he lost his dummy, but then we heard a shhh sound twice and then the crib start to rock (it would squeak a bit needed a bit sanding off) we both rushed up to the bed room and saw the crib slightly moving as if it had just been pushed and left to slow down.

Abbie was freaking out but trying to stay quiet as Callum was still asleep she re locked the crib and refused to leave the room until spike came home from work.

When spike finally returned Abbie asked him why he left all the doors open when he had came back at dinner time, spike said he had not come home that day and had no idea what she was going on about then we told him about the crib rocking and the shhh sound we had heard.

Spike told Abbie to sit down as he had something to tell her it turned out that he had seen the same thing a few days before but did not want to frighten Abbie by telling her, she went mad at him for keeping it from her they had a huge argument and spike ended up staying with me for 2 days.

A few weeks later Abbie called me sounding very upset asking me to come over as soon as possible, when I got there Abbie was stood on the front door step with Callum in his pram. She said she would not go back in the house alone, I asked her why and she told me that things had gotten very strange over the last few weeks.

Whenever she would check on Callum the crib would be unlocked and slowing down again from being rocked, if the heating came on in the house she would find the blankets in the crib turned down, the soft toys that were at the bottom of the crib would be moved onto her bed and the musical mobile that would need winding up to play would start on its own.

"today has been the worst day" she said to me, she had put Callum down for a nap and was in the bathroom cleaning when she heard the crib start rocking she tried to ignore it but suddenly heard a loud crash and ran into the bedroom, the crib base had some how fallen out of the frame on one side hitting the floor, the mattress was turned over under the crib. Screaming with fear for Callum's safety she rushed over to the crib lifting the mattress up and found nothing, Callum was not there.

As she stood up she saw him lying asleep between the pillows on the bed, she picked him up ran down the stairs and out of the house.

They left the house that day and moved back to Abbie's mums house for a month but eventually moved back as the house was a private renting and could not get out of the 3 and a half years contract they had taken on without paying the outstanding rent for breaking the contract (almost 5 thousand pounds)

Talking to the neighbors they found out that a woman used to own the house that had lost 3 babies to cot death in 5 years and had taken her own life through depression.

After they moved back things would go missing only to be found in strange places days later, keys and money would be found in the bath tub, the TV remote control would be put into the fridge and cups would break in the kitchen sink if left unwashed.

As Callum got older and started talking he would stand in the living room looking through to the kitchen and chatter away to nobody we could see and laugh hysterically as though he was being tickled.

This went on for 2 years until Abbie's parents paid off the contract and Abbie, spike and Callum moved into her parent's house.

After they left they stayed in touch with there old neighbors and were told the house had had 3 families there that only stayed a short while 5 months the longest, and the owner could not get any renters in people would go to look around but refuse to take it on he had to give the bank ownership of the house as he could not keep up the mortgage payments, and the bank could not sell it on, same story people would view it but only once, never taking a second viewing.

The house is still empty to this day Callum is now 11 years old.

Other hauntings by taz890

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, taz890, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Yet another beautiful read. It is a pity that the spirit was "misunderstood" but totally understandable that Abbie was freaked out! Thank you again grandma Taz for sharing.
Krys
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
where do I start? Ok firstly to you all thank you so much for the fab comments 😁
Quick up date I just had a week off and was visiting old friends who live 8 streets away from the house so I went to see if the old neighbours were still there and they were.
We got chatting and the house had been sold 3 months ago to a young family with baby twin boys, the spirit is there still and still looking out for the babys but the parents are happy she is there and have accepted her I have been invited over in 2 weeks by the neighbours for a party the young couple will be there so will be updateing this story soon.
[at] > miracles I intend to thank her on their behalf when I go back and yes it was a fault on the crib that made it colapse bolts worked loose that should have been covered to stop this.

Darkness to be honest I know we should have wondered but they were still quite young and even though spike had experiances before this was someting new to him.

Trix no one got to see her but this kind of thing had happened before with young babys so we went with the house history and as for her not moving on I do see your point but there must have been something holding her back like I said she is still there now.

Pestilentpixie thanks for adding to faves glad you liked it and hope you post your comment in a full story soon.
Javelina I have one more with spike in so keep watching for it and glad your enjoying these do agree with your comments on the suicide keeping her back
Ok guys will update you all soon

❤ 😁
Carl
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Wow, taz! What a great story! I almost missed it too, glad I didn't.

I'm a little conflicted on this one. If I knew a ghost was hovering around my child day and night, that would make me incredibly nervous and I can see why Abbie was so freaked out. On the other hand, this is very heartbreaking. Losing three children to the point of being driven to madness... Sounds tragic. I'm sure it was a great comfort for the spirit of the woman to look after a child again. Perhaps she felt it was her responsibility to make sure Abbie's baby didn't end up like hers had. It would be kind of comforting to know someone was watching over 'my' baby, even if it is unsettling that the someone is a ghost!

I wonder why no one has been able to move into the place since Spike and Abbie moved out? Maybe the woman that haunts it feels like she lost another child all over again... Sad and very heartbreaking. Thank you for posting this. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Hello again taz,
I am so happy to hear the continueing tales of Spike, especially now he's got a family. I do think he attracts spirits even though this spirit seems to bother most people it comes in contact with.
I believe the reason for not moving on, for some spirits anyway, is because of the suicide; it's not that they can't or that anything is stopping them from doing so. I believe they have a guilty conscience about taking their own life and feel they don't deserve to cross over or fear they would be rejected and sent elsewhere, from which there would be no escape. Just a theory...
I'm with Trix though about the crib. Here in the states we used to call it 'crib death', that in itself would make a person, who'd lost all her babies to it, a nervous wreck. So whenever Abbie left the room this woman would naturally hover over the child, protecting him. She probably thought she was keeping him alive. Anyone who's lost a child in this way would feel the same and she'd lost three. How does a person remain sane after that?
The crib itself was the enemy in her eyes and she was not going to let the same happen to this child. Who knows? Maybe he was approaching the same age her babies had been when they had passed and she thought she could prevent it from happening again. I doubt if she was seeking redemption from her act, that would just have been a side effect.
Thank you taz, for bringing this sad and tragic tale to this forum. You told it with the sensitivity it deserved and you may have offered her some small amount of redemption by doing so. I do believe she would benefit from an explanation of sorts, no matter how much time has passed.
😢 ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Hey Trix - you made some excellent points, but I just wanted to point this out. There are many recalls on cribs because of situations such as this. In some cases, babies are injured and some die do the cribs malfunctioning. I'm not saying your idea is wrong, I'm just pointing out another possibility.
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Thank you for sharing this story. Everyone is going to have a different opinion when it comes to this type of haunting, at least from what stories I've read on this site. My Dad said that when I was a baby (he was a single father) we lived on an Army base (he was a paratrooper) and the house the Army supplied was haunted by what he thought was an older woman. He said he would find my bassinet rocking when no one was near it and empty bottles would be found in the sink where he knew he hadn't placed them. This story is going into my favs. It strikes home. Thanks for sharing. 😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Hi taz890, another great story! I know everybody is going to disagree with me now, but this is how I see it in my own way at this moment.
It's strange that this ghost of the woman who committed suicide didn't move on to her 3 deceased babies, because from my point of view she wanted to die because of the lost them. Why do you think she is still there because if she committed suicide she knows she's dead. It's strange if you think about it. I hope she will come to rest one day. Did you actually see her or do you just assume it's her due to the history?

The crib that just broke like that triggers another question. You said that Abbie's mom brought them a brand new crib. For me it is strange that a brand new crib will break in such a way without the baby making a sound-unless she graphed him just in time. This is just my thoughts but a newborn baby weighs between 3kilos to about 4kilos. My point is that for a new crib to break like that with the kind of weight of a baby is almost impossible. I wonder if the ghost didn't break that crib after putting the baby to comfort on the bed and then broke the crib to avoid the baby sleeping in it. Thanks for sharing another great story.Trix.
gothgirl (32 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-22)
o my word yes scary but more sad... It didn't sound as if she wanted to hurt the baby, actualy it sounded like she would have made a xclnt guarding-angel...but yes I would have freaked out to if it was my kiddy
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-22)
Taz another great encounter, I am in agreement with the other comments. I find it sad that no one was able to help this poor woman move on, I understand how frightning this must have been at the time but did Abbi, Spike or yourself consider why this may be happening? You can almost guarantee the that the woman is still residing there, quite sad indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
gemzyd1988 (4 stories) (7 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
i understand why your friend would have been scared, I have a little one and would be horrified if I knew someone or something was paying her that much attention, but I can't help feeling sorry for the lady ghost she obviously just wanted to look after the little guy and was worried for his safety, hopefully after that many years she has been able to rest in peace so she can be with her 3 unborn babies 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
That is a sad and scary story. Maybe they should have tried to speak to the spirit, but I do agree that it would be scary if a spirit tried to take my baby.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
Taz - I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Part of me is so freaking sad for that ghost. My heart breaks for her 😭. All she was doing, as cosmogal said, was watching out for Callum. But it the process she scared the crap out of Abbie and apparently everyone else who rented there. I understand Abbie's feelings, of course. I mean, who wouldn't? It's terrifying to realize that someone unseen is picking up your baby.

I guess it also saddens me that maybe no one has tried talking to her and thanked her for watching over the baby, but explained to her that she was scaring them. I know, hindsight and all that. But sometimes "thank you" and acknowledgement goes along way.

When Dalton was about 1 1/2, I'd put him in his crib to take a nap. I was going to submit this as part of a story, but I'm going to put it here for now. Anyway, I'd put him in his crib, which was as low as it could go. He was short and could barely reach the top rail. Within minutes he was back in the living room. Don't know "who" got him out. I guess they were tired of hearing him yell because he was angry 😆. I know Jerrica and I were. We just looked at each other when he walked down the hallway with a big smile on his face. Shocked is pretty much the expression we both had. 😲
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
Hey taz, thanks for sharing another great story with us. I think the spirit of the woman must have known the crib was going to collapse and put the baby on the bed. I'm sure Abbie wanted to get out of there as soon as she could. That would have freaked me out too. 😨 I wonder if moving and taking Callum out of the house made the spirit of the woman angry and that's why they can't rent it anymore. The activity must have picked up a lot if the house has been vacant all these years.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: