You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Sceptics Tale

Real Ghost Stories

Sceptics Tale

 

Being a former soldier, machinist, and mechanic... I can safely say I am one of the most pragmatic, non-spiritual guys around. If it can't be heated, welded, machined, or put into a 3D CAD file, it isn't worth thinking about.

With that in mind, I had just gone through an amicable divorce, and was visiting my nearly 4 year old daughter down the street, at her mother's house. I had played with a small remote control car, chasing myself with it, and getting rolls of laughter from my little girl. After a while, the fun died down, and we both lay down on the small bed facing upwards toward the ceiling.

My daughter was looking up, and I noticed she began to stare at the ceiling. Not just stare, but focus. She smiled and seemed to light up, and did the typical Japanese nod, and sound of understanding. This happened for about 5-6 seconds, and then without missing a beat... She said "Ok...ojiiisan...bye...bye..."."Ojiisan" being the term for grandpa in Japanese. Her grandfather had passed away from cancer about 2 years prior, and he had told us he wished he could see her grow up.

I laid there rather confused, and tried to focus as she was... And on the same spot, but came up with nothing. After this little incident was over, I attempted to get all the details from my daughter, but she was oddly unresponsive about it. She seemed to forget the whole thing just after it happened, and wouldn't talk any further on the subject.

My girl has never done anything like this before or since, and I am still at a loss as to what was going on. I don't believe in ghosts... (At least until I see or become one myself), but this had, and still has me thinking. Her granddad was an old school Japanese man. Mean as a pit bull, but with a heart to match. If anyone could make himself known after death, my Yen would be on him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Don-in-Japan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Thank you for sharing your story! I absolutely loved reading it and your daughter sounds like a wonderful little girl. I really do think he grandpa is watching over her and she may be able to communicate with him sometimes. I am quite a skeptic myself, though I've had some things happen that I couldn't easily discount, so my mind is a bit more open these days. I always think that out of all the Hollywood hype about ghosts and all the stories, movies, games, etc, there has to be some shred of truth behind it all.
Dudester (4 stories) (9 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Several years ago, I was in a bad spot in my life, a real bad spot. I was considering something desperate. In a dream state, my grandmother came to me and explained what I had to do. What is weird about this is that my grandmother was very kind in her explanation. In real life, my grandmother had been a self centered and unkind person. Your daughter is being watched over by her grandfather. He has found peace, and your daughter will never be alone, no matter what her circumstances are.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Don: I agree with 510mot, even if you're skeptical about the paranormal, your reaction to her experience will color her decision about whether she's comfortable talking about it or not... Even a child as young as 4 can feel their parents emotions, and react accordingly...

Most of us on this site have the belief that children have more paranormal experiences...It's my opinion that they do because "non-belief" is a learned response... A lot of children have "imaginary" friends, some of whom I don't think are imagined...

I'm going to give you advice that a few of our posters do, and that is to keep a journal of all of the wierd stuff... See if there's a pattern... Hopefully she'll be more open in the future...

Good luck, and thank you for posting... 😊
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Hello Don-in-Japan,

As you shared how your daughter sort of not wanted to respond to your enquiry and even behaved as if nothing had happened, as if she diden't remember it, I had to think of my nieces when I asked them about the girl ghost who is living at their house. This spirit has shown itself on several occations to all of us, yet it is as if the nieces are trying to keep her exsistence a secret with us... Much loved reading your story, thanks for posting it!

Greetings,
Peter
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
As a child, aged 4, I saw something I still can't explain. I could have spoke to the two adults about it at the time but I didn't. I think children have an inkling of what their parents will accept and support. I remember feeling that my mother would dismiss it. The only advice I can give you is to watch for more and to be conscious of your expressions and physical cues when she tells you something out of the ordinary. Children are masters of reading the unspoken word.
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
I think this story is very sweet. Thank you for sharing it. I know first hand that children can see things that sometimes are hard to explain, I used to see my grandfather when I was a child and my children have seen family members who have passed on. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: