You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Terror In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

Terror In The Night

 

This story occurred when I was very young, only 10 or 11. It was the summer of 2006. It was very hot in Big Spring, Texas and I was having trouble sleeping, as I always do in the heat. I managed to doze off, but not for long. The clock showed 2:46 when I fell asleep, but when I awoke, it showed 3:00. I was thirsty; my mouth was extremely dry, so I went to get up and get some water.

As I began to sit up I realized that I was moving very slowly. My muscles seemed not to want to move. When I finally was upright I saw that my closet door, which I always took great care to shut, was ajar. At that moment I smelled something acrid, like propane, and my eyes started burning. I tried to call out, to tell my mom we had a gas leak or something, but my voice caught in my throat.

A chill ran down my back as I glanced at the open closet. I caught a quick movement in the shadow, and though I may have imagined it, I heard a cold, clear, and deep voice cackle. I panicked and tried again to scream, but again no sound. I looked down the hallway and saw a shadowy haze flickering there.

I began crying from fear and silently called to God for assistance. As the haze began to move toward me it dissipated, as did the smell and the blockage in my throat. The burning in my eyes ceased as I looked again at the hallway. Our dog Buster walked into my room and looked up at me. He then lay facing the door as I lay back in bed and shivered despite the heat. A glance at the clock told me it was 3:33. I closed my eyes tightly and drifted off to sleep, clutching the blankets to my chest.

The next morning I awoke and he was still there, the closet was still open, and I was sure what had happened was real. I couldn't sleep right for a week because of fear, but my trusty dog still kept guard. I have never had such an experience since, but the fear of that incident remains with me still.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Screwedup12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Saurow (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
hmm Maybe you got to experience a ghosts final moments of emotions when he or she was still alive? (sry for any bad english)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
Got a question for you. Did you ever discuss this incident with your parents or anyone you trust?
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-06)
spirits are odd
Some are there to protect you like a guardian angel (for me its my nan)
Then there's spirits who scare you like the one in your encounter
I'd seek advice from a medium to see why this spirit chose you
Puppeteer13 (131 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
wow creepy encounter for a kid to go through, lucklily you had you trusty pup there to protect you their better at seeing across the veil then us so what ever it was he was determined to protect you. The symptoms you encountered during the haunting were interesting and unuseaual I enjoyed your story and hope such events have not plauged you in more current life

Your freind,
The Puppeteer
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
Oh man I would've started to cry! 😭 Has anything strange or weird even something little happened to you since? If so please do write back!
God Bless
❤ 😊
JarMan (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Sounds like it could have been a bad dream, especially if you just laid back down and slept. A lot of what you have said are indicators of dreaming to me, the inability to speak or to move properly. You can experience a lot of things in dreams, including smell, taste and emotions. I woke up crying once.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
That does sound scary. Spirits can be more active during the night time, as I think its when you try to relax/sleep, that you are more likely to communicate with you.
This spirit/thing does seem really evil. Trust your gut about these things. Sorry about you not having a good sleep 😢
I agree with looney85 and justcurious, you should pray constantly for protection from the Angels (Archangels or Guardian Angel) and have your house blessed.
I actually used a candle to keep the evil at bay.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
OH man! Now that's scary! You sure are brave. Is funny how your dog knew something was there for him to just lay down in front of your door, as to protect you from this negative spirit.
I, like petersspirit and justcurious... Agree on how you should have holy water or a blessed cross in your room to protect you! And don't forget to pray every night, ask your guardian angel to protect you from any harm.

Keep us posted if anything else comes up.

Looney 😊
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Screwedup12

Just wanted to add on to my previous comment, along with after seeing Petersspirit agreeing and going along with me on this one as if you experience anything like that again, stand your ground and tell it firmly to leave you alone or to leave the house if you don't want it around.

Be prepared however as this spirit may turn violent if it does not want to leave (however spirits have been known to comply with what people say and leave them alone).

Just be prepared though for if it doesn't want to leave.

Peace
JustCurious.
scary (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
my mom experiences these often. My mom says that it is an evil spirit which tries to attack us. Nothing to worry and pray before you sleep and keep some kind holy object such as a cross or something if you are too scared. 😐
😜
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Hi Screwdup12,

That sounded like a very scary experience! And I follow justcuious in this thinking that the spirit you saw might have bin of a troubled nature. Good of you to start praying!

Greetings,
Peter
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
It had to be so very overwhelming for you. I hope you never have to experience it again. It's easier to usually sit and type to stay calm and stay strong. But you did. As scared as you were, you survived. You kept your wits about you, I don't think I ever could, and used prayer as a defense. It shows how strong you are. Your dog is right there if you ever need a true friend. It shows even a week later. All I can say is, keeping praying.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
The smell you smelt and tried to explain, was it really close to smelling like propane? Or was it more of a sulfur smell?

Cause I have heard of times where people have smelt sulfure and associated it with a evil feeling spirit.

Peace
JustCurious
CSAofficer (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Something like that happened to me once. I was in my bed fixing to go to sleep, when I looked over at my door and I saw a shadow in my door way. I freaked out and hid under my bed sheets. When I looked again, he was gone, but I could feel the evil emiting from the hall way. I called my dad cause he was away that night. I told him there was a demon and he raced home. He took holy water and sprinked it around the house. He waited by my bed for me to fall asleep. That's the only time I ever saw the demon.

Your story is very creepy. I would have freaked out too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: