You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Woman In The Wheelchair

Real Ghost Stories

The Woman In The Wheelchair

 

November 2nd or Day of the Dead

I was a child at the time but I don't recall how old I was exactly. We had gathered at my grandmother's apartment to pay our respects. Well I was there to play but the adults meant business. There may have been a ceremony held but I've witnessed so many that I can't remember.

I was running around with some other kids (Their identities are a bit fuzzy) causing some major raucous. We were running in and out of the apartment, leaping from the stairs, yelling to our hearts content, laughing without a care in the world. Keep in mind these are all things you refrain from doing on that day (According to what my family believes).

I remember running back inside for the last time and my grandmother saying to me, "Kenny! Today is a day you MUST show respect. You're going to anger the dead and cause them to show themselves to you!" I was a kid... What did I know, right? It was in one ear and out the other.

I ran back out into the hallway with my entourage and ran up the stairs, held onto the railing and jumped down. That's when I noticed an elderly woman in a wheelchair! There was a woman with her, either behind her or beside her (I can't remember where she stood exactly), she didn't move a muscle and didn't look at us, she just kept her head down.

The woman in the wheelchair just sat there staring at me and suddenly it was as if it were just us in the hallway. I was completely focused on her. She was pale, chalk white, with white hair and faded pupils. No teeth if I recall correctly. What she did next sent me into a panic, she began to peel the skin off her face (I kid you not!) and let it fall beside her. My eyes crawled to the other woman but there was no reaction from her. She continued to stare at the floor. There was no meat or tissue where the skin had been but these brown spots.

I snapped out of the trance and ran inside the apartment followed by the rest of the pack. I must have been talking at 80 mph. I described what I saw and my aunt (The youngest of five kids and a scaredy cat) dismissed it, as did my mom but my grandma had this look on her face that said I know you saw her and I told you so. (Sometimes I think she had a very strong gift).

Wasting no time I grabbed my mom by the hand and pulled her out into the hallway. To my surprise everyone tagged along except for my grandma. The two women were gone. I ran downstairs thinking I'd catch them easing their way down but there was no one going down the stairs. I ran outside immediately and looked down the street. No luck either. The others went upstairs but no elderly woman, wheelchair, or companion in sight. I went back upstairs defeated.

I spent the rest of the night curled up next to my mom. To this day I show my respects for the day of the dead.

Here are some things that baffle me still:

- My grandmother lived on the third floor; the two women appeared in the landing between the second and third floor. There was no way to go downstairs and vanish in less than a minute. That's roughly how long it took to run in and come back out.

- No one was coming up the stairs as I passed by to go up to the landing between the third and fourth floor.

- They appeared as solid as you or I. They looked like they were alive so I wasn't scared until the skin came off. I thought it was some sort of trick but my grandma assured me it wasn't.

- I spent my childhood in that building and I never saw that woman ever again and I don't want to.

- I knew all the tenants in the building and they knew me. They knew my family and my family knew them. My grandma raised her kids there.

- My grandma swore no one used a wheelchair at the time.

Anyone have any ideas? I've never heard of ghosts materializing as flesh and bones. Sadly my grandmother has passed so I can't get any real answers. If anyone knew, it was her.

Other hauntings by LucidDreamer

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LucidDreamer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
Oddly enough, the one I'm the most curious about is the companion. It sounds like she came with the elderly lady, but didn't do anything other than looking at the floor. Makes me wonder why she came along.
JBiebsbaby101 (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
Well, your grandma did tell you to not do that and I guess one of the dead just came because you weren't "respecting the dead" and your grandma must have been really special:) (If any of that was disrespectful, that was not my intention)
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Cosmogal926,

It was more like 5% bravery and 95% ignorance. As I mentioned before I thought it was one big trick to scare us. 😭

I'm just glad they didn't mean us any harm.

Chicken-nugget22,

I agree with you 100 percent. Sometimes I feel like going out looking for things will just attract them to you.
chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
I would not look into it either unless you ever see this lady agian.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
wow fantastic story liked this one a lot and what a way to learn to respect the departed freeky!
And javalina I thought you would know better lol
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Wow that was some seriously freaky straight up scary Shhhh... 😨 My creep-o-meter just exploded. You were brave to actually go out looking for them. I think I would have went catatonic for sure. The only thing that comes to mind is that the woman was demonstrating decomposure. When the body is embalmed and buried, the skin dries out and falls off. Ok going to stop there cause I'm grossing myself out.

Javelina, that is crazy! I can just picture you stopping short in mid-laugh to the sound of shattering glass. 😲 I think you can apply a Beatles song to just about any situation. LOL! ❤
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Oh my. That is so scary, I actually jumped out of my pants myself! She really peeled the skin off her face?! Just shows that we really should pay our respects to the dead, even if we are children!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Javelina,
I want to see the original post! Skeleton on a stick... Sounds yummy. Demons of the dirty dishes? Sounds like the Blue Hair State of AZ has some Granny Ghost Warriors to contend with.

Lou
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
LucidDreamer certainly sounds like they were seriously trying to say to you "Oi! Enough out of you lot! Show some respect!" 😊
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
LucidDreamer: My husband is bothered by seeing spirit like that (how they died) and he doesn't like to see spirit like that.
I would hate seeing spirit like this as well 😨
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
LucidDreamer,
Definetly don't go messing around with the elderly or deceased, they will let you know about it, real quick too. It happened so fast, but it was for real.
Zzgranny, That's the song I was singing as I cleaned up the glass! Karma has always had a pretty fast turn around time when it comes to me, guess it wants to make sure I get the message.
Miracles, Even David had to admit it was pretty freaky, and Clair said the same thing you said, just a little more colorful language.
What's really weird is that it didn't just break, it was more like it came undone. As if it was tired of holding itself together, really wierd.
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
JustCurious,

Mission accomplished. I do believe they meant for me to show respect. Although I did question whether what I saw was real or not. I guess there's a part of me that wants to believe I'm off the rocker. It's a lot easier than admitting to what really happened.
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Wow Javelina! Your comment about not messing with the elderly really hit home. I have this one story made up of several incidents but it seems more of a mystery than anything supernatural. It concerns my grandma... When doesn't it? 😆 Sorry grandma. For now I'll ask you guys a question... Is it possible to have some sort of hold on a spirit? For all I know my grandma was summoning someone who was dressed up.

I asked my grandma and she just gave me a creepy smile. My mom doesn't know and neither does my aunt. I still have to ask my uncle who as it happens still lives there.
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Hey Peter and Rachel,

That gave me chills. I don't know if I could handle seeing them as they died. Are they not bothered by it any longer?

I almost went in my pants as a kid when someone showed up to a Halloween party dressed as a decapitated bride with an eye on her chest. I took off as if it were the Indy 500 except I wasn't in a car. Take a guess who had the pleasure of opening the door when they knocked? 😆
LucidDreamer (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Javelina,

See now I want to let a chuckle out but I don't need anything happening around here. It's about to be 1:00 AM and all the lights in the house are out. I already get the creepy feeling that something is hanging out downstairs.

That does creep me out though. Looks like they're keeping you in check.😨

It reminds me of a story my grandmother told me some years back. She would hear pots and pans banging around and falling to the floor. When she went into the kitchen everything was in place. By the way it was during the middle of the night and no sign of forced entry. My mom was awakened by the noise as well.

I also hate rocking chairs!😆 Most ghost stories in Santo Domingo revolve around rocking chairs. (Dominican Republic still gives me the creeps!)

Chicken-nugget22,

I'm not sure as well. I never looked into it for the following reasons: 1. It didn't happen on a regular basis 2. I was really young 3. It's not following me... GOD FORBID! Cruz y raya! I don't know how it works but if they're free to roam on that day maybe they weren't in anyway attached to the building.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
That's a really freaky story! Spirits can show themselves how they died (e.g. Limbs missing, headless, etc) like they do to my husband. This experience reminds me a lot of Hollywood movies where the spirit "transforms", like in your case.
Javelina:I agree that it was a warning sign from spirit. I will not make fun of any belief system (was about to write holiday, but that didn't seem right). Spirit has ways to tell you if they don't like something.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Javelina - gotta say Wow! Woman, I'm not sure if I'd have crapped my pants or just apologized. Probably both 😉 That has got to be one of the funniest lessons learned on here 😆
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Hello LucidDreamer,

Imagine seeing something dreadful like that! Brrr... It reminds me of a close friend of mine who told me how all of the ghosts he sees are showing them selfs to him the way they died. He said they would be bleeding or having horrible wounds etc.
Liked your sharing and javanila's too, chuckle.

Peter,
chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Wow! 😲 goog story and sorry I don't know what happen here unless an old lady died there...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Javelina: In the words of John Lennon, someone I have the deepest respect for: "INSTANT KARMA'S GONNA GET YOU!" 😆 😆 ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
LucidDreamer,
You know Grandma was right now, don't you? Man, don't mess with the elderly, running around crazy and loud like that. Especially on "D
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
I'm not sure what the beliefs are that go along with Day of the Dead because I haven't personally observed it but from the way it sounds maybe the spirits had shown up to attempt to get you to follow the beliefs and to show respect on that day. Cant really think of any other reason other then them wanting to let you know that they were there (maybe for other reasons then just to make you observe Day of the Dead) and it really sounds like your Grandma believed that you saw them since she didn't follow to try and see proof.

Peace
JustCurious

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: