You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Mirrors

Real Ghost Stories

Mirrors

 

Please refer to the Plaid Blanket and Mommy, you saw him too if you wish to be kept up to speed with my next story. The particular house was the scandal of gossip between our friends and family members while we lived there.

After Clint shipped out Hope and I resumed life as usual or as usual as could be expected. I had grown quite fond of finding the blanket in the tub every morning. It quickly became part of my morning routine. However something much different was happening in Hope's room. She was becoming reclusive. Every day she would spend more time sitting Indian style crossed legged with her back against her wall. She would giggle and talk to her imaginary baby doll. I tried to get her to come out of her room more often but she insisted on playing with her imaginary baby doll in her room and on the occasions where she would get out of her room she would hold a delicate invisible hand in hers and skip, dance, bounce and run with through the house and yard.

I would often be told not to sit on the couch or chair because Hope's imaginary baby was sitting there. The first couple of times this happened I really wasn't alarmed it was actually a bit cute but as Hope's fondness of her imaginary friend grew stronger I started becoming worried. I knew that the house was haunted and I was a little afraid for her safety and sanity. Then I got an idea that could win me the "Mom of the Year" award in my house. I would go get Hope her own television. I had always objected because I thought she was too young but in a last ditch effort to bring some sort of outside influence on her this flash of genius bolted through my mind.

Hope and I went to the local thrift store and there I let her pick out her own television. I wanted her to feel like this was a big deal. She giggled holding hands with her invisible friend and picked out a Sony 18 inch flat screened tube television. She seemed to be excited about her new television and for a few precious moments I was looking at my bright bubbly baby girl. When we got home I unloaded the television and placed it on the kitchen table because we were going to take on the craft of a lifetime. We were truly going to make this television hers I came up with the idea of decorating the television any way she wanted. Loads of sparkly stickers and squiggly lines of tee shirt puffed paint were placed and drawn on by her little hands. She had made the television hers. She had taken interest and it seemed that the imaginary baby doll had taken a backseat.

Several hours later when the glitter paint and glue had dried I placed the television in Hope's room on a shelf that was built into the wall. She was sitting there on her bed giggling and when I brought the VHS player from mine and Clint's room and hooked up to her television and I was so proud of myself when I popped her favourite tape into the player, The Power Puff Girls theme music streamed through the speakers and life danced along the screen. When I glanced down to Hope, expecting her big blue eyes gazing up at me I saw her smiling at the empty corner of her bed. And my ego took a huge wallop. My heart sank as she held the imaginary baby doll's hand then she glanced up to me and asked me to turn the television down. I did with a heavy hand and heart until there was no sound. She said, "Thank you Mommy."

Hope was happy with her television but it didn't give the effect I had hoped. But, anyone who knows about parenthood knows that with as much as you teach your children you learn from them. I learned that Hope wasn't easily distracted. And, she will come around when she is ready.

I would see the shadows dancing in the hall from time to time and I would still get the chest tightening frightened feelings from time to time but my worries about Hope. I would quickly pass the spine tingling muscles burning breath shortening blankets of awe and confusion from my thoughts. I was becoming just as obsessed with the imaginary baby doll as Hope had been.

Then a few days after Clint had gotten home I finally got to see what Hope had been seeing the whole time. Hope was by one of our friends' houses, I was scheduling a lot of play dates where she was forced to leave the house I thought it was best with her current behaviour.

Clint was being lazy just lying around in our room which was normal. He was off and needed time to rest, Hope was hopefully having a great time at Meredith's and I was doing my every day routine. I suddenly felt this over whelming feeling that I needed to turn around. As I've stated before in my other stories the house had an extension which made all of the windows on one whole side of the house to be boarded up. In mine and Clint's room where the side window would have been where they had boarded up the window to accommodate the extension they had placed a mirror to cover the boarded window. It was plain.

When I turned I saw Clint staring into the mirror. He had his arms folded and he was leaning over the little shelf. He was staring into the mirror with such fascination it sparked my interest. His eyes didn't leave the mirror but he motioned for me to come to him.

My hall was not long, short in fact but that was the longest trip down any hall I had ever been down in my life. My legs were heavy and my breath was quickened. I was scared before I got there but when I reached him and my eyes met the mirror I felt the floor fall from beneath my feet. The reflection in the mirror was not what it should have been. Where Clint was leaning, where his reflection should have been there was the face of a small girl. She had dark brown hair that fell in little ringlet curls around her face. Her clothing was faded it was a light blue dress that had a big bow on the right hip.

The room was not decorated in my room. The bed was on a different side of the room with different bedding. There was carpet where my room didn't have carpet. My room had yellow faded linoleum. The girl was smiling and pointing at Clint. I grabbed Clint's arm and watched as this little baby doll looking girl smiled and pointed at Clint.

"It's Hopes little girl," Clint stated with a shaky voice.

"I know," I replied.

What else could be said? Several breaths later, just the blink of an eye the room was back to normal. Clint stood up he grabbed me close and we hugged for what seemed like an eternity. We saw Hope's girl. We both saw Hope's imaginary baby doll. I quit obsessing over her new friend after I saw what she did. I don't believe that the little girl was the blanket ghost. I do believe it was Hope's imaginary friend because after Hope got home later that day we sat down and asked her what her friend looked like to her. She explained everything down to the colour of the little girls bow on her dress. There was a difference in her description compared to what I personally saw Hope said that the little girl always had a bloody nose when she saw her.

Other hauntings by PestilentPixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PestilentPixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
Great story, I think the way you handled these situations also adds to how it eventually turned out. I think if you had screamed and gotten scared and always lived with fear after you saw the girl and the other creature, your life in that house would have been much different. I think you did a great job of handling all of this. Especially Hope and her friend.

Look forward to more reading.
Amazinghost (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
They say that mirrors are a way into another dimension, into the past, or maybe the future, another world even, that's why some people have a phobia of mirrors, they claim they see themselves in another form, or other people, members of their family, and I hate to break it to you but even people that were killed or died in the house, they are trying to ask you for help, they need help to escape, if the ghost is not harming anyone do not be to concerned, but your daughter is experiencing this outside the mirror, perhaps the ghost was the same age/wants help from your daughter
zaphiod (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-25)
Sort of regretting reading that... Alone in the dark at 3am... Oh well sleep's overrated anyhow.
Great storys - creepy as hell tho!
Elaina28 (7 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-02)
You know once I heard of there could be a demon in the mirror I wouldn't look in mirrors 4 like a month! They are scary!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-31)
redphx made a great point... Perhaps this little girl didn't appeal to you and Clint sooner because she's afraid of adults. The bloody nose could either be a medical condition or, as Miracles suggested, abuse. What concerns me a bit is that she appeared to your daughter with the bloody nose, but not you. Whereas I agree that perhaps she didn't want to scare you, why would she think that your daughter would be any less frightened by it? Maybe she just couldn't hide it around your daughter, but...hm. Anyone else have thoughts?
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Thank you all for your wonderful insight. Your opinions and wisdom are well recieved.

Just--I personally never got uneased when I would feel this spirit. I didn't try to make contact with it regarding what it wanted or how I could help it nor did I make any attempts to "cleanse" my house of it. I didn't want to try to come between "her" and my daughter because the connection the two shared. I had thought it was in Hope's best interests to be compassionate.

Lou--Neither Clint nor I ever "saw" the little girl after that although I would "feel" her from time to time.

Devious--I was worried about Hope's social behavior and how her spending so much time with the little girl would affect her abilities to make viable friends so she was literally pulled into every age appropriate activity in the community that involved time away from the house. She never had a problem with making living friends and although she still sees people that I can not a big part of who she is is her gift. Her friendship with the little girl did cost her two living friends but as she has gotten older is has been able to find friends that understand her.

Miracles--Yes, poor Clint, LoL. Clint had "felt" things before meeting me and Hope but it wasn't until we became a family that he started to see things. The only time he saw things was in that particular house. Apart from our current home. Hope, along with all three of her sisters, have told me that when they see the spirits of the deceased they sometimes see injuries. I sincerly hope that the little girl died of natural causes but when Hope told me that she always had a bloody nose when Hope seen her it did alarm me.

Red--That is a very good theory. One I had never thought of. I've always thought children are more intuitive to things that aren't easily explained or often ignored. Maybe she appeared to Hope so often not because Hope wouldn't be afraid of her but because she was lonely and Hope is a very open minded little girl.

Cosmo--Hope had only ever called the girl her baby doll. I never thought to ask Hope of her name. Seeing her brought me peace of mind because I knew what Hope was seeing and I think the questionablity of who or what was answered.

Taz--I think you are right that the little girl didn't show me and Clint the bloody nose because I would have reacted much differently than I did IF I would have seen it.

We only lived in that house for seven months. As soon as we were able to move we did. Our time there was never meant to be permenant. So far I have only posted a few stories of our neutral "ghosts". We did have some that were more aggressive and I will be posting those stories as soon as I have the chance to write them down. This house was more than a place to call home, it was more than the place where Clint, Hope and I became a family, this house taught us about how to adapt and accept. Thanks again to everyone who have read and commented. 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
hi pixie again a fantastic post (I don't like to say story sounds made up).
Personaly I have to agree with devious on this one yes its fine that your daughter gets on with the little girl but she should spend time away from her too. Interacting with living people help with developing the skills needed to get on with others, you don't need your daughter being the quiet kid at school with not many friends.
Try having another chat with the little girl and try to get her to visit on a few days but not everyday. It is sweet your still accepting of her but she should accept there are times when she should "back off" a bit.
Also I think it was sweet of her to show her self to you and clint but not showing the bloody nose so you both did not freek out over it.
Please keep this up to date if anything changes (or not as the case may be)
Thanks for sharing
Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Hi Pixie, Amazing story! I can't even imagine what you both must have felt like at that moment. For her to show herself to both of you like that tells me she didn't want to leave any doubt of her existence. I am curious now too like Miracles. I am wondering how she died and if you ever found out her real name? Thanks, and take care 😊 ❤
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
wow. That was a very good story. I really enjoyed reading it. Poor little girl. I think she chose your daughter to appear to because another little girl is less scary to her. She may be fightened of adults.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Pixie - another great story. Poor Clint 😉. Quite a wakening, being married to you and Hope, huh? Thank God you found a man who could handle it and also, apparently, has the same ability as you and Hope.

As always with your stories, I'm left with questions and wanting more 😆. The bloody nose bothers me. A lot. I'm hoping it's just natural causes, but obviously thinking and worrying that she was abused, which makes me sick to my stomach.

Eagerly waiting for your next installment.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can only imagine how scared you must have been, especially because of how this girl affects your daughter's social behavior. It's probably best to get her away from the little girl sooner rather than later, or else I can imagine her bringing her imaginary friend with her to school, opening her up to bullying and a whole other level of social rejection. It's important that she make friends with the living, first.

Best of luck & light to you and yours.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Pixie,
Well done. Has the little girl embraced the entire family now, or does she remain exclusive to your daughter? Although there are no rules, my experiences in the past have been that when a spirit focuses on an individual, its appearance to others is more of a warning than anything. I am very glad this was not the case with your family.

Hope springs eternal,;)
Lou
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
That was a good story. Thanks for sharing it! I just was curious as to if the spirit feels evil, or if there was any way to tell what its intentions were. Try and keep an eye on it cause sometimes evil/sinister spirits will try and pass off as good spirits to make you more comfortable with them and then they'll start making their true intentions known.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything but just letting you know what can happen.

If you want the spirit to leave your daughter alone or to let her be less reclusive or spending time alone with the ghost, maybe you can try to ask the ghost/spirit to let your daughter spend more time doing things and hanging out with people other than the spirit. If the spirit is friendly then it should respect your demand and comply with it.

If you want the spirit to leave the house all together then you'll have to stand your ground and tell it firmly to leave and it should comply with your request if it is friendly. I have to advise though. Spirits can turn more violent when asked that so just be prepared.

Peace
JustCurious

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: