You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Seeing Great Grandma Before She Died

Real Ghost Stories

Seeing Great Grandma Before She Died

 

I was 13 at the time, and my great grandmother had been a part of my life off and on. A couple weeks before I saw her in my room I went to visit her. She had been diagnosed with Alzhimers disease for a very long time.

When I went to see her this time however she was basically living off life support at my great aunt Hazle's house. She was still conscious, and she looked at me. She couldn't speak, and I'm not sure if she knew who I was. She was in the final stages of Alzhimers disease. She was curled up in the fetal position. It was hard seeing her like this because the great grandma I knew was not this.

A week later I was at home asleep, and it was in the middle of the night. I remember waking up for no apparent reason, and I turned my head to the left, and looked at my window. There stood my great grandmother in her little dress, and her light blue polyester sweater. With those old lady orthopedic shoes on. Her hair was as I had always remembered it, and her glasses on her face. She turned away and peeked through the blind that hung over my window. (She used to do this at my grandparents house constantly when she came over to visit my grandpa). When I closed my eyes in disbelief and re-opened my eyes she was gone.

A week later when I came home from school my mother told me of how she had passed away the night before. But this was a week or so after I had seen her in my room. I'm confused because I thought the spirit of people couldn't be seen until the death of the person. Anyways, a few days after my mother told me that she died I had another experience. I woke up feeling very cold, but it was in the middle of summer, and there was no air conditioner in the upstairs of our house.

Anyways, I woke up really cold, and for some reason or another I looked at the foot of my bed. Standing right there was a man dressed in all black including what I call an old farmers hat. The hat was round on top and had a very broad rim. He was very tall, and he had on a blazer and dress pants, but they weren't anything special.

He was just standing there looking at me. I didn't know him, and I've only seen him once. I just thought it was weird how he appeared at the end of my bed dressed like he was. I couldn't see any eyes. It's like they were closed. A lot of things I've seen pertaining to this stuff are very vivid in my mind even though it's happened years ago. I quickly covered up my head, and when I uncovered my head to see if he had gone, he had.

A couple weeks after that the heavy door to our bathroom began to move freely at night. When I told (I thought this was a trick) my brother to stop moving the door it stopped. I lay back down, and then it started again but quicker. I told him to quit moving the door because it was creeping me out. Plus he was in my room so he needed to stop it, and leave my stuff alone. (Mind you my brother is VERY much a live). When I said that the door quit moving, but was still open a little. Then the door started to move very quickly, and I started to yell again at my brother and the door started going really fast. At that point I told my brother okay if you won't stop then I'm going to come in there and kick your butt. The door slammed closed.

This door did not have a handle on it of any sort inside the bathroom or out. No windows no wind. Anyways, I ran to the door put my finger in the hole of where the door knob should be, and opened the door. I looked in the shower and next to the toilet (this was how big the bathroom was), and to my amazement my brother wasn't in the bathroom at all. When I rushed out of the bathroom I ran to my brother's room where he was fast asleep. I freaked out, and woke him up.

I made him come downstairs with me, and I told my mother what happened. We slept down stairs that night in the sitting room. The sitting room was connected to the stair well, but had a door that closed the stairwell off. All night long I laid there listening to the sound of people running up and down the stairs. Of course my mother didn't believe me. But this did happen. I'm not sure why these events occurred, but things like these have happened pretty much my entire life. As I've gotten older the events occur less often, but the things that occurred in my past have really marked me. Has anyone else had these experiences? All input would help. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by kf2123

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kf2123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

GhostsScareMe (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
My dad's mom passed away when he was 11. He told me how he was asleep on the couch in the afternoon. He woke up and was cold. He told me he saw his mom sitting near on the arm of the couch. He said "Mom?" She was stroking his hair gently and was looking at him with a sad expression. She looked out the window and was gone. He got up to go get a blanket. Later when he woke up my uncles and aunts told him their mom had passed away that morning. So sad, she wanted to say bye to her baby boy (my dad is the baby of the family) 😢
EliteParanoid (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Something similar happened to me. I was about twelve when my great grandma died.
I was dreaming, and she was in my dream. She said to me that she was in heaven.
I woke up the next morning, and my mom told me my grandma died. I was really confused.
kf2123 (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Thank you Lilady4 and kec92 and Oceany. I thought maybe I was crazy when I saw my great-grandmother before she died standing in my room. It was touching, and frighting all at the same time. I see less things as I've gotten older, but the feelings of something being there is still very strong. The sensing part has gotten worse as I've gotten older, but you're right about the adult logic and so forth closing up my minds eye into seeing the spirits or intities. I'm not sure why it happens, but pretty much every where I've ever lived I've had things happen to me. Seen things, and felt things that were not of my self or anyone in my home. I've even had it go as far as each of my children being removed from my bed during the night to hearing weird churggling noises in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what's going on because I can't explain these things that keep happening to me. I've tried to do some research, but find no luck in explaining what I've been through. Not to mention it's like whatever it is I don't know follows me? I mean is that possible to be followed by spirits and demons? Is it a demon. I feel like a freak when I talk about stuff like this because these aren't the only things that happen to me. I mean I've dreampt of things that have happened with out knowing they happened only to later find out that they did indeed happen. I just don't get it, and I can't shut it off just block it out (the seeing part that is). But I still feel it, and dream about the things I feel even when I'm having a great day, and nothing bad or watched on television has had a chance to enter the "dream land". I have a question are some people just born this way? Are some people just born open to things like this, and unable to shut it off? Also is it genetic? Could I be the cause of these events? Can these events occur with my own children? I mean I've woken up in the middle of the night to find my children half way under the bed crying, and falling out of their bed with out hearing them move around, and the list goes on and on. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm worried for my children. I have a true concern that maybe I'm a paranormal magnet or something, and the last thing I want to do is bother my children. Also to add to my list of experiances. When I was 20 my daughter and I became very ill. We both ended up in the er to be treated, and I remember laying there half in and out of it. I closed my eyes just for a minute and when I opened them my daughter's father was laying there with us on the hospital bed, and he told me that we were going to be fine. I closed my eyes in disbelief and opened them again, and he was gone. My daughter's father took his life when she was 2 months old, and he wasn't involved in our lives since the conception. Nor was our relationship that of any great detail. We had what I thought was a connection, but I didn't fully know the man. So, anyways, why is it that I saw him during a time of sickness while in a public place? I read once that sometimes in peoples moments of weakness spirtiual or emotional that things like that can happen, but I'm not sure if that's what it was or not. Any ideas on that?
Oceany (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-31)
I dreamed of my mom a day before she passed away. We sat on a bench and she told me to buy pomelo leaves. This is a Chinese belief to soak pomelo leaves into the water to clean oneself. This cleansing purpose is to drive away bad luck, especially after you have attended a funeral.

My mom reiterated it and told me not to forget about buying pomelo leaves in my dream. She stood up and walked away after I promised her that I would do so.

Strangely, my mom died in the afternoon the next day. Therefore, I would agree with what Lilady4 had said that sometimes spirit/soul can leave the body and come to see their loved ones as if to let the person know that there is either something wrong or to say goodbye.
kec92 (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Well I must say that maybe your grandma was just saying goodbye. I can not explain the other things except maybe it was death or somethine else. Very interstin story though I loved it. Another theory is that maybe it was not your grandmother but the other ghost in you house sensiing that your grandma was going to go soon presenting themselves to you in the form of her. Since there are other things going on in your house. I do think it your grandma.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
kf213, yes, I have had similar experiences. But I do think that it is strange that your events have occurred less often now that you are older. But maybe it's something to do with you being a kid when these events occurred. You see, kids usually have a more open mind (not marred by adult thinking/beliefs/logic), and so it is easier for spirit to communicate or be seen by kids.
I think that is remarkable about your Great-Grandmother seeing you before she died. The Spirit/Soul can leave the body sometimes (called Out of Body Experiences, or Crisis Apparitions), sometimes just to let the person know that their is either something wrong or to say goodbye.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: