You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Shadow In My Room

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow In My Room

 

At the time my experience took place I was 15 years old. I was a very large skeptic before these events took place I might add. My mom and dad had just recently divorced and my mom had purchased her own house. It was an old house, built in the very early 1900's. I had also taken this chance to switch schools, and since my mom's house was closer to my school, I decided to live with her.

The inside of the house was very dated. The style your grandparent's house would look like. The house had a basement, 2 floors, and an attic. I explored each level of the house by myself. The first two floors were normal, nothing broken or weird. The attic was completely barren, except for a dusty, purple stuffed bear with one of its eyes missing; out of place and slightly eerie, but nothing unusual. I saved the basement for last.

The door leading to it was a heavy, paint splattered, and beat up. The staircase barely looked like it would support my weight (a whopping 120 at the time). The first step was longer than all the others, almost making you trip. The walls were nothing but cement, and it was sectioned into three different areas each blocked by a small fence made of discarded wood and chicken wire. Off in the corner was a crawl space, something I had no desire to ever look into (though I ended up having to crawl through it once when I was locked out).

The room furthest from the staircase was the room I did not like. One step into it gave me a chill, and not the musty "you're in a basement" chill. I inspected this room carefully. One of the brick walls were broken and filled very poorly with mortar. The ceiling was covered with different sized boards; one of them had a strange writing I was never able to decipher. Beginning to feel uncomfortable, I decided to take my leave.

Now I had lived in this house for 5 years, and these occurrences didn't start until about a year into my habitation. I hadn't made too many friends the first year so I spent a lot of my time at home alone. Which was no big deal; I had done it for quite some time before the move.

It was during my summer break, my mom was working and I had nothing to do but watch movies. I don't remember the film I was watching, but it's possible it could've been a horror movie, making me pass off the event as "just my imagination." I remember as I was watching, I saw out of my periphery a shadow move quickly from the basement into the kitchen. I didn't have time to register what had happened before I heard something in the kitchen fall over.

I might also add that we own two dogs and one cat. So I got up hoping there wasn't going to be a mess for me to clean up. Nothing was wrong, the trashcan was moving like it had been run into and so I figured it was one of the animals. Similar things as those kept happening and I continued to ignore them or justify it as being one of our pets. The date was November 13, 2005 when I no longer was able to deny the happenings.

I had just finished watching television when I decided to try and sleep. I always went to bed around 12:00am so this happened sometime after that. I remember feeling like I needed to wake up, as if I was going to be late for school. I opened my eyes and found myself looking at the wall. There's a feeling a got right before I turned over; that nag in your head saying "this isn't a good idea." The house is old and my room was always cold so I didn't feel a change in temperature.

As soon as I turned over there was a black face eye level to mine. The face had a very toothy and malicious grin. Its eyes were yellow and red; the pupils (if there were any) were dilated to the size of dimes. I froze, could not move, breathe, do anything. The thing stayed there for what felt like forever. No sooner had it left I was able to move again.

I never mentioned the event to anyone at the time. I thought I was just going a little crazy or something; perhaps a nightmare. But that was my first of many visits. He came at least once a month, each time a different place in my room just staring at me with that long grin of his. At first it was only at night, but eventually I started seeing him during the day. He never harmed me or anyone else, so I wasn't too concerned.

He just seemed to enjoy messing with things, knocking things over, misplacing our stuff. Wasn't awful, just something I had to deal with on occasion. I'm not sure if he presented himself to anyone else, I never told my family. I never believed in ghost before then, I'm not religious in any way, nor have I ever messed with an Ouija board or anything of the sort. I never understood why after a year of living there he decided to show up.

I am now 21 and have moved out of the house. My mom still lives there, and I am worried about that. He didn't hurt me, or anyone else, so I had no cause for alarm. I just want to know if there is a need to worry, or if I should let sleeping dogs lie.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wordoftheday, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wordoftheday (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-08)
Thank you for your help. I believe something tragic had happened in that house. I remember after we moved in, sheriffs would stop by looking for the last residents for an unknown reason. As for a description it looked like an male of average height, but the clothes were indistinguishable it looked like the outline of a suit though. I did speak to my mother about this thing though. She is similar to me and very realistic. She said that some "weird" things have happened but nothing she would consider supernatural. I explained my ordeal and is currently putting the house up for sale. Again thank you for all your help.
GeminiGoat (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
It does seem like a dark spirit if not a Demon. Something probably happened at the house you were living at and brought the spirit there. Maybe someone summond it or something tragic and evil took place at that house in the past. Usually when spirits dwell at a location they won't follow a person once they leave, but it does happen. Just ask your Mom if she feels something strange or like somethings not right in that house. If shes had any encounters or weird stuff happenning then hopefully she won't be scared to tell you. From all that you've explained in your story, I would say it definitly enjoyed scaring you. At first you didn't believe in anything spiritual and then this thing shows up right in your face smiling. It was probably laughing and thinking to itself, ha, I'm not your cat or dog, do you believe now little boy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of you because I would crap myself if I saw that thing, but spirits love to mock human beings, a lot of them look down on us. But if you are worried about your mom tell her what happened and if anything bad happens to her she'll probably move out and that'll be the end of it. Good luck & God bless.
Jonny (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Me and my friends always used to see the same thing in one of the bathrooms at my elementary school. It was a black shadow that would hover about 6 inches off the ground. It was also kind of short and had sharp, crooked teeth and the FREAKIEST eyes, similar to what you said. Unfortunately, we DID get the feeling that it wanted to hurt us, and I try to stay away from the school built in 1892.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
would you be able to give us a better description?
Was he young, or old? Was he small, like dwarfed, or large? Did he have any kind of hair/style, type of clothes? Was he always wearing the same clothes, etc.
just very curious about this creature.
JustinEckert (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
hi, from the sound of it I orignally thought it was a poltergeist but with the demonic face and the strange language sounds like devil worshipping. Just because the "Demon" didn't harm you as a teenager I would keep an eye on your mother if she begins to act strangely be prepared running away may not help and if that happens be ready even if your not religous you will need a priest to truly protect your family. I hope I helped you out. 😁
DearSydney (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
This sounds exactly like a book that I read called Maybird. She would see this strange man with a big toothy grin, she would only see him at night then started seeing him in the daytime. He never did anything serious either, pretty much the same things that were happening to you. But the reason he was there was because he needed May to help him. Maybe he just needed your help? Thanks for sharing this memory with us. (:
JimD (431 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Hi;

Dark shadows out of the corner of your eye and low level events are domonic infestation. The demonic face leaves absolutely no doubt it's a demon. I'm glad you're ok; hang in there. It sounds like you are.
If you're so disposed, I counsel saying "Jesus and Mary help me" should it appear again, which is entirely possible. Watch the reaction. Demons never have harmless intents; it's just that God won't permit them to proceed further at that point. I also counsel liberal use of Catholic Holy water on the beds and especially at night. Should mom experience anything, send me a email and I can help you further, if you like. God blesss you. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
In the basement, part of a wall was poorly built, and some boards overhead had strange markings. Sounds like a little devil worshipping went on down there maybe? Well, it sounds like it didn't freak you out too much, which is good. If it had, 'it' maybe woul've pick up on your fear, feed off of it, and the real terrorizing would've begun. Have you tried talking to your mother about... Certain things that went on in her house? Maybe now would be a good time. For all you know, she could've had experience stuff too. As for 'it', I agree with Redphx. Doesn't seem to be bothering anyone. Talk to your mother after awhile. See if anything strange has happen since you have left. If not, good. Maybe nothing will. If yes, maybe time for a looooong talk. Good luck.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
sounds demonic. He is obviously not hurting anyone and I think was very curious about you. I wouldn't bother him. I feel that if you tried to make him leave he could turn violent. A mad demon isn't a nice demon. He seems to just be watching. If he was going to hurt you or didn't want you in his home he would have let you know right away.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: