You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: I Will Never Forget The Day I Heard The Following

Real Ghost Stories

I Will Never Forget The Day I Heard The Following

 

It was a dark cold March night in 2005, when I traveled to participate in a paranormal investigation with an amateur group of ghost hunters from the Yorkshire region of the United Kingdom. It was before I had gone down the path of running my own ghost hunting company Simply Ghost Nights.

It was my fourth ghost hunt and the adrenalin was pumping through my veins as we descended the cobblestone road, treading very carefully as not to slip on the wet and slippy surface. We had parked our cars in the car park, however we then had a treacherous 1000 metres walk down the steep slope to our vigil area.

An old Abbey that had been destroyed by King Henry's VIII men under the Dissolution of Monasteries act in 1536. There was not much left of the abbey now, there are some pillars that are about 20 metres tall, masonry laying a strewn in various areas of the land. In particular there was a section with a roof that was kind of built into some caves, which hid us from the elements on this evening that had by coincidence a full moon.

As the wind grew ever more stronger during the proceedings, we had some spikes on the E.M.F meters and in a vigil we could see the most extraordinary lights from in and around some of the brickworks that was fenced up. The most sobering thought regarding the light phenomena was that we were the only people around, and we were 200 - 300 metres below the road, what caused these bizarre lights we could not guess.

The highlight of the night was when we were all in the sheltered section of the abbey, we began to call out for spirit communication whilst recording with a tape recorder, what happened next sent chills down everyone ones spine, and still does to this day it is still one of the most puzzling voice phenomena I have heard.

After calling out for a length of time we then played the tape recorder back, with total amazement we could hear our group calling out, however in the background we could hear unbelievably monks chanting in what can only be described as Latin in the background, with what seemed like wooden plates being placed on a wooden table. Even as I write this it still sends a chill down my back, unfortunately we deleted the recording to our dismay a few days later whilst trying to show some friends the evidence.

Even now Rosey (my wife), still debate whether it was residual energy trapped in the brickwork or was it a visitation, one things for sure we intend to visit again when the weather gets a little warmer.

Other hauntings by Simplyghostnights

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Simplyghostnights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-19)
Really enjoyed your story. I wonder what those lights were. I like darkcookie's suggestion of angels. Very interesting that you heard those monks chanting. Gives me chills to think about it.
darkcookie (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
It is said that angels let of much light. And in the meantime you can learn some Latin to know what they were saying.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
how exciting ghost hunting. For mother's day I am taking my mom out ghost hunting. It should be really fun and I am really nervous as hell.

To me the activity follows residual type behaviour but I can't be certain. Are any of use ever really certain?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-11)
Simply,
Thank you for sharing. It sounds residual to me, but I was not there. Can you describe the nature of the lights? Are we talking, free floating illumination, or were they a projection from some unknown source?

Thanks,
Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: