You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Driver

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Driver

 

I was 16 and staying the night at my best friend Jill's house. I'm not using her real name since we've long since lost touch and I don't know what her memories may be of this particular night. Back then, Jill lived in Churchville on the one and only main street, which was and is Route 250 and it, runs right through the town and on into West Virginia and Ohio, ending at Lake Eerie. The middle of the night is quiet in this little town, with rarely a car on the road. I've had only a few unexplainably scary experiences in my life - this is one of them. Whether or not this was indeed a ghostly encounter is a mystery. I know for certain it was spooky and weird.

It was late at night in the summer, and Jill's family had all gone to bed. She and I lay across her bed, in the dark, with our faces close to the open window, looking out toward the main street - desolate, dark, but lit in regularly spaced spots by the streetlights. We were smoking cigarettes and blowing the smoke out the window to keep from getting caught.

From her room on the second floor, we could see a pretty long way up the street, toward the east. We noticed a car coming from that direction - again, an uncommon sight for the wee hours in Churchville. We watched it approach, commenting to each other that it seemed to be moving slower than the 35mph speed limit. It got closer and we could see that it was an older model car, like something from the 50s, light-maybe-white in colour with some darker colour panels on the side. Certainly it was nobody's car we'd ever seen around there before. Then, we couldn't believe it... As it got closer to Jill's house, the car slowed down even more and pulled over on her side of the street in front of the empty lot next door, right in full view of where we were looking down from the window. "Who the heck is that?" I remember already feeling nervous - even before the driver cut the motor and the lights and stepped out of the car.

He was a completely dark, black figure, backlit by the streetlight. The shape of his hair was kind of like a 50s slicked-back hairdo. He appeared to be wearing a short jacket, maybe black leather, and jeans, but I could really only tell from his outline. He stepped around to the front of the car, toward us. I got the feeling that he was focused on our window, like he knew we were there. I was thinking, "There's no way he can see us. We're in a dark room." He took a few more steps in our direction and he was standing in Jill's yard. He seemed to be looking up at us, although I still couldn't make out any real details of his face or clothing - he must've been just 25 or 30 feet away. Jill and I both held very still, shushing each other, and trying not to be seen. Then very quickly the guy raised an arm toward us... Pointing? "He's got a gun!" I scream and pulled us both below the window, with Jill smacking at me to shut up and let go (she was obviously braver than me). Eyes squeezed shut and breath held I waited for a bang. But I heard nothing.

Jill wrestled free and peeked over the window ledge. "Now he's gone!" And he was. The car too. Jill was a little ticked off at me for screaming. I didn't think scaring him off was such a bad idea, but she apparently wanted to see what would have happened next. After all these years, I wonder too.

We should have heard him start the car and pull off, but it didn't seem like he would've had time to do that. The bedroom window didn't allow us to see down the road, west, in the logical direction he would've gone. And neither of us wanted to run downstairs to get a better look. I don't think we slept much that night, fearing the stranger would return. But he never did. And we never knew if what we experienced was a real person or a ghost.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dampixon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-05)
This is a rare gem of a story. I really liked it. You expressed the details very well, so I could completely understand what you were talking about. What a crazy experience! At first, it sounded like a residual haunting; that probably isn't the case though, if he was looking and pointing at you. That would drive me nuts after all these years not knowing who or what that guy was and what he was doing.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
dampixon,
Great story! Had me gripped to the page! I think it sounds like a residual haunting simply for the quickness that it occurred and was gone.
Thanks for sharing!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
No telling what you might have been able to experience if you hadn't been so squeamish. Your friend is probably still a little peturbed about that if she still remembers it.
dampixon (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
THanks to all for reading and taking time to comment.

Cosmogal - lol, I guess I missed my chance with a Danny-Zuko-look-a-like ghost! I didn't see him or the car again. I'm sure my friend didn't either because she never mentioned it. She and her family moved out of state the next summer and we fell out of touch.

Spockie and guyinsane, that's an interesting theory about it being a warning to us for misbehaving. Maybe it worked because -- well it's been 20+ years ago -- but I don't recall ever smoking at my friend's house again!

Thank you again for reading:)
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
Hi dampixon, The way you described the car and the 50's style hair and clothes of the figure, put an image in my head of Dany Zuko and the car Greased Lightening. LOL! I find this interesting because it almost sounds residual. Did you or your friend ever see the car again? Anyone in the neighborhood ever mention seeing it? I think it would be kind of fun to look up the history of Main Street in that area and see if anything ever happened there. Let us know if you come up with anything. Thanks for posting. 😊 ❤
guyinsane2008 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
[at] spockie - I wonder if both ladies took the warning seriously or they continued to smoke after the incident...
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
This might sound strange to some people, but since smoking is such a hazard to your health, and since you were both sneaking around doing something you both knew you should not be doing (smoking), perhaps this was a warning to you... Sent by somebody somewhere who cares, maybe even from the other side.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: