You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Uncle's Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

My Uncle's Haunted House

 

As a child, I loved listening to ghost stories told by my grandparents and other elders. Even if I was scared, I used to stay awake late night just to experience any ghost sightings but never actually saw anything unnatural. As I grew up, I turned into a non-believer of ghosts and someone who would never get frightened of being alone, in dark or watch/hear anything scary. Then one incident changed me!

This happened when I was around 17 years old. I had gone for a vacation at my maternal uncle's place which in Vadodra, Gujarat. He had moved into better (bigger) railway quarters (residence for employees working in Railways). We had travelled a lot in the day time from Mumbai to Vadodara and reached his place around 10 PM at night. There was a balcony starting from entrance of the home. It had a bathroom and toilet at the left side and living room and bed room on right side. Similar to the below arrangement so, from Living room, we could easily see the balcony.

Bathroom

Entrance _____________Balcony_____________ Kitchen

Living Room | Bed Room

Post-dinner we were just relaxing and watching TV in the living room. After some time, I saw some white misty apparition running in the balcony toward the bathroom. I first thought I was hallucinating because I was tired of the day's travel. But this happened 2 to 3 times more. I told my uncle and he said that it must be some pigeons which have their nests above the balcony. But I was sure they were not pigeons! I slept ignoring it.

The next day, I completely forgot about the incident and started doing my morning chores. I went to the bathroom to take a bath. The moment I entered the bathroom, I started shivering due to fear and was constantly feeling that something bad was around. I came out of the bathroom as soon as I can and told my uncle and mom. They again consoled me saying was nothing to get worried, etc. Being a bold and un-fearful girl, my mom started worrying about it.

Throughout my 5 day stay there, these things continued... Seeing apparitions one the balcony and shivering inside the bathroom. I was also getting scared around other places in his house. One such was the bookshelf inside the bedroom where I always got scared like crazy. I was unsure why it was happening with me! The question was still unanswered for 2 years.

After 2 years, my uncle shifted to another place. After meeting him, he said that the house was haunted and a lot of bad things happened there in their 2 years of his stay, so eventually they had to leave it.

Apparently, the real story was, few years back, a girl staying in the house had committed suicide. She had set herself on fire near the bookshelf in bedroom she ran from the balcony to bathroom, but eventually died inside the bathroom.

After hearing this, I was totally freaked out! My uncle said that he did not want to spoil my stay there, so he had not told me the real story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, madhura_ad, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ram (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
hey madhura, nice name but I just want to give a piece of advice never ever think about the incident or don't feel sorry for the girl or for her sorrows just you may be a prey or host to the soul.
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
Wow and I can't believe that had happened to you! And I have had more than one paranormal experience but not one like this! 😲 😨
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-18)
Shoot, this does sound horrifying. Maybe the land or house is cursed and/or haunted.
It is intersting to note that you knew nothing of this until your uncle told you of the history of the house and the horrific story of that poor woman who set herself on fire.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-18)
Geez setting yourself on fire, I could think of a hundred other ways to commit suicide that would be a lot nicer then that! It's sad she is still stuck there hopefully she has moved on, I'm glad that was the only thing you experienced from this haunting.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-17)
madhura_ad,
Wow! What a horrible way to go! It's probably best that you didn't know the particulars at the time of your visit, you would never have been able to fall asleep there. Very frightening, and very sad.
Thank you for sharing. 😲
Storm (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-16)
wow, great story and what an experience! Setting yourself on fire would be excruciating! I feel so sorry for that poor girl.
.Storm.
madhura_ad (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-16)
Thanks everyone for commenting... It was my first experience... Can consider as the last until today!
I really felt bad about the girl wondering how terrible her sorrows must be... If she took this way of ending her life!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-15)
Wow, how sad for the girl and her family and how terrifying for you!
Thanks for sharing! ❤
Anu_your_wellwisher (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-14)
oh my god... That was really a freaking story... God bless you... And also other here and also me 😆
Anu
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
ouch. That is a way to go. I always wondered about people who would choose the most painful way to die sometimes. I think that must be true insanity. Poor girl. I wonder what made her so sad that she decided to do that. I hope she goes to the light one day. I think someone needs to help her. 😢
guyinsane2008 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
in Indians/East Indians usually commit suicide in alarming numbers. In Guyana they drink poison (malatan or grammoxzone - usually available widely at the sugar estates), hanging and setting themselves alight. I think there are a few studies out as to why we take that route as a means of solving our problems. A sad thing to do, but very common here and in I guess moreso in India.
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
Amazing story. That poor, poor girl. What a way to go. Set herself on fire? That would be extremely painful.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
Wow, what an experience! Thank you for sharing it. It's so sad, what happened to that girl. I could think of so many less painful ways to die than to set myself on fire. She must have been really out of her mind.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
I believe you. My dad told me how he started working for the railway in India and places like where your uncle has a lot of history and many places are haunted because of that. He said that him and some other workers stayed in a place once and all of them felt uneasy and unwelcome. They left the place after about a week because one of the workers started having violent convulsions and when they brought him to the hospital he was completed okay. The doctors said that he was 100% healthy. When my dad and the other workers returned home the guys started getting sick again so they moved out. Apparently, a railway worker killed his wife out of a jealous rage because he thought she was having an affair with the neighbor. After killing her, he felt depressed that he went to work and jump in front a moving train. People believed that it was the spirit of the woman who was killed who was trying to get revenge on her husband and now was attacking any men that were staying there. That really freaked out my dad. Eventually, he moved back to Sri Lanka before starting his sailor career before settling here in Canada.
Silent_Observer (2 stories) (35 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
This is insane. Especially coming from a hardcore skeptic like yourself. Sorry your first experience wasn't a pleasant one. But at least it was something more startling and something you knew nothing regarding the history of so that your hard wall of rationality would eventually break down. Poor girl... (the ghost) such a sad story.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: