You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lone Wolf And The Banshee's Curse

Real Ghost Stories

The Lone Wolf And The Banshee's Curse

 

One day I was walking home from school. I was a cranky fifteen year old because I had so much homework and my dad usually collected me from school, but wasn't going to today. I was also quite tired because I had had strange dreams the night before. (I know you're not supposed to talk about dreams, but I think I should mention it.)

An old man dressed in a brown robe and sandals came into my dreams and started talking in Irish.

'Dia duit, a Mháiréad.' (Deea gwit, a vawrade)

-Hello, Maddie.

'Bí cúramach leis an mac tíre aonarach.' (Bee cooramach lesh on mahc teera aynarach)

-Be careful of the lone wolf.

'Sabaháil tú féin. Abair paidir an Tiarna. Slán go feoil.' (Savawl too fayn, Abir podir on teerna, Slawn gu foal)

-Save yourself. Say the Lord's prayer (the Our Father). Goodbye for now.

And with that, he disappeared.

I didn't think much about that as I was walking home. I was more interested about the flowers that were blooming at the time. I paused to look at some Yarrow and Forget-Me-Nots. For some reason, I looked up, and there before me was a huge black-grey wolf with reddish eyes that showed hatred. He bolted into the hedgerow and I thought of the night before.

Maybe it's just an angry-looking dog, I convinced myself.

But I was still wary and jumped at every sound.

I heard pawsteps behind me and I turned around quickly to find a black tail dashing into the undergrowth. I heard rufflings in the bushes and it scared me so much that I thought I wouldn't come home alive. I was semi-jogging now and I heard the wolf chasing me hot at my heels. I suddenly turned round and the beast jumped and soared to my head. I fell to the ground and whimpered the Our Father in Irish.

'Ár nAthair, atá ar neamh...'

I opened my eyes once more and the wolf had gone.

'Thank you,' I said aloud.

Then I heard a soft whisper in my ear.

'Tá fáilte romhat.' (Taw fawlta rote)

-You are welcome.

The Banshee's Curse

When I was around 12, I was spending a night at my cousin's house. There was a full moon outside among a dark star-studded sky. My cousin's grandmother was really sick at the time. She is no relation of mine, but I was still worried for her.

We were whispering excitedly until the early hours of the morning. We were just beginning to fall asleep when we heard the doorbell ring. We both jumped. I heard when I was growing up, that the banshee (a death announcer) occasionally rings the doorbell at a house where a person is at their deathbed.

'What the hell was that?' my cousin whispered.

I paused. 'Probably some prankers, you know how teenagers can be,' I replied.

I didn't want to admit this, but I heard the howl of the banshee outside. I quickly opened the window. I peered outside, and I saw a ghostly white figure sitting on the wall brushing her long wavy hair and crying. She then indicated at something and I followed her finger's direction. Outside on the driveway, was the Costa Bower (Death Coach), with six black horses. I looked at the driver, discovering he was headless.

'What are you doing now?' my cousing said impatiently.

I put my finger to my lips. I was standing there spellbound when another figure floating over to the coach. It was my cousin's grandmother. She entered the coach. The coach rose and the ebony horses cantered in the direction of the moon.

I returned my gaze to the banshee. She gave one final mournful wail, and disappeared off the wall.

'Maddie...What are you doing?' my cousin was getting extremely nervous.

'It was just an owl hunting,' I clambered back into bed.

The next day, we woke up, yawning and stretching in the morning sun. My cousin's mother came in weeping.

'Your grannie is dead.'

Author's Note

I know that to some of you this may sound far-fetched and nonsense, but it did happen. Why would I be lying?

Other hauntings by KasperMoon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KasperMoon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jamai3 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
I do not believe your story at all.

It seems so far fetched...
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
well flung this time that's for sure! When I first laughed my self silly reading this pile of do~do I just jumped to next in line could not even be bothered to call it out was so ruddy obvious!

Sorry to all who said was good story but 😆
Carl
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
Taz: Moongrim has an awesome BS detector... Most times he's right... He has his own version of the blankey, and he ain't afraid to use it! 😆 ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
[at] zzsgranny is that annoying or what?
O/p has closed profile down so can't comment back!
How rude 😠
Must say though I was so tempted to fling the blanky myself but held back and was a real good boy (for once) and left well alone
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
I love it when those not associated with "the gang" borrow the BS blankey...Hmmm, 😆
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
Why would you be lying? Perhaps you could answer that better than anyone one of us answering.
GhostFox (guest)
-2
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Look, I have to admit the banshee and the Death Coach experiences hadn't come exactly together in time, just a few weeks between eachother. But, I promise I saw both of them, even though not together.
Sorry guys. 😭
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
You first story sounds believable. But when it comes to your second story... Well that's going to be difficult. Since I like to give the benefit of the doubt to the writers, I will do that same for you. But the thing is like many of the other posters, I have heard a similar story on another site (I don't remember the site to provide prove), so I'm not going to hold you against it.
Louise21 (3 stories) (33 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Banshee story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoc0DXSkxw&feature=related Seriously it sounds the exact same as what happened in this scene of even though its in italian, I really love this movie.!
brenttan (64 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
I have read a lot of stories on this site and I find most of them believable. But your banshee, stage coach tale is not one of them. Why should you be lying, you rhetorically ask - to amuse yourself taking folks for a ride, and for 2 minutes of fame?
GhostFox (guest)
-3
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
bacchaegrl
Thank you!
I do remember my cousin was joking that his mum heard the banshee when her dad (his grandad, still no relation of mine) died.
About the wolf, I see a lot of animal spirits. But I never saw a wolf before. I usually see friendly animals, but this animal spirit... I thought I recognized it somewhere from before.

DeviousAngel and the others
Oh well, I knew this story sounds too embellished. But everyone has their side, don't they? 😆
But in my last story, someone told me to make my stories longer, so I tried adding as much of the details I experienced.
Next story, leperechauns! 😆 (joke!)
P.S. I never saw Sleepy Hollow before. OK, maybe once when I was like seven! But that was a children's version.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Interesting stories... How different cultures have different beliefs.

Nice description of what MAY happen when someone passes on, but are you sure you were as calm as you sound in your story when you saw what you saw?...if you did not freak out or scream and blabber to your cousin about seeing headless people riding invisible coach... Then I think you watched Sleepy Hollow one too many times.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Two very entertaining stories Ghostfox. I don't necessarily believe every detail, but there have been many claims of the Banshee in Ireland. I have heard people's reports of seeing her brush her hair, and hear her wail. One man said he found out that his mother was very ill, he claimed to hear the Banshee and she passed away a couple of days later. So I can get on board with that, but the whole stage coach, headless driver is like Devious said, way too Hollywood for me. 😉
Louise21 (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
The Banshee encounter sounds extermely like the exact same thing that happened in the classic film Darby O'Gill and the little people. But the first story is frightening.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Mmm...I don't know. When people try to convince me they are not lying, that is when I feel that they most likely are. I am interested to see what other people think of this account, but the whole banshee and death coach thing sounds rather Hollywood to me. The first experience sounds fairly believable, as I know that myself and many others have seen red-eyed spirit wolves (although in my case, it seemed to be my protector)...but the second part is sketchy at best.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
How neat! Sorry about that woman's loss, but how interesting that you saw all of that activity! I've read many stories about banshees and how they behave, you really helped enlighten me. Does that family have a history with a banshee? Also, I wonder what that wolf wanted from you. Sounds like one of those death dogs, but you seem to be alright, so that's good. Is that the only time you've seen the wolf? I really think Irish ghost lore is fascinating. It seems like you encoutered a lot of it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: