You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Can Anybody Help Me Figure Out What's Haunting Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Can Anybody Help Me Figure Out What's Haunting Me?

 

My name is Lina and I've been having strange, frightening experiences for years now. I moved into a four house apartment complex when I was about five. When I would lay in my bed at night, I would hear footsteps walk around my bed. At first I would lay there and pretend to be asleep thinking it might be my parents checking up on me. However, it didn't stop and when I opened my eyes, I saw nobody but I still could hear the footsteps. It seems to be intelligent as well because when I'd sit up in bed, the footsteps would stop as if whoever they belonged to was staring straight at me and the footsteps would continue once I lay back down. As I got older, I grew less afraid but for some reason, it seems to be growing stronger.

In one especially violent attack, when I was around ten or so, I woke up on the floor one morning with a huge cut across my wrist. Keeping in mind that I have never had a problem with sleepwalking, moving in my sleep (since I always sleep on my right side and I wake up the same way each morning), or being a deep sleeper (on the contrary, I'm a very light sleeper and will awake to the slightest sounds such as the sound of someone walking into my room), I was completely terrified and distressed. Furthermore, I awoke flat on my back, arms at my sides, facing the ceiling, blanket still on the bed although I went to sleep under it - which is not consistent with a random fall from my bed.

I had previously thought this entity was confined to my house but beginning in my freshman year of high school, lights would flicker when I was under them and sometimes I'd see shadow people (shadowy human-like shapes) out of the corner of my eye but when I'd turn to see what/who they were, they wouldn't be there anymore. For a while, I just chalked it up to coincidence but then things just got too bizarre. For instance, one time in biology class, all the lights were off because we were watching a movie when the light directly above me, and only that light (even though my school's lights are controlled by row), flickered very quickly about 5-10 times before going back off.

Recently, it seems to be stronger than ever and I still have no idea what it is. Now, I wake up from nightmares where my body is not my own and I'm being forced up to my attic (I live on one of the apartments on the top floor so I have an attic). I also wake up with scratches, usually three in a row on my hands and sometimes on my face but not often. And very recently, my boyfriend tells me I was taking a nap when he walked in the room and I sat straight up in bed, looked at him and said "I hate you" and then just lowered back down to sleep. This particularly freaks me out because we weren't fighting at all at the time and I am pretty confident that I never woke up once during that nap plus, I'm a very light sleeper, remember? Could it be able to possess me now or is it something like my aura controlling my surroundings?

I want to research my area and my apartment but I have no idea how to. Any tips?

Other hauntings by curious123

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curious123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

nishanthk13 (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
curious123,

I don't think that your apartment is the problem as you said that you have been experiencing this stuff right from your childhood. I would suggest that you research into your own childhood. The locality where you grew up. The hospital where you were born. Any rivers or waterbodies near you present and previous homes. Most importantly research your own school for deaths of persons connected to your school like classmates. Also make an inventory of things that have been gifted to you or things you have purchased from antique stores or pawn shops.

A similar thing happened to me when I was 17. I bought a cool looking silver ring from a local pawn shop. I noticed my personality change over a period of about 4 months. My grades went down and I got into smoking and drinking and gambling. I got into unnecessary fights and was depressed almost all the time and was afraid to go to sleep. Mysterious cuts started appearing on my chest and back. The cuts made me freak out and I started retracing my steps one week at a time until I noticed that the personality change started after I bought the ring. I went back to the pawn shop and asked around about the ring. The shopkeeper agreed to show me the shop records and I found out who sold it.

It was sold at the pawn shop by a nurse at a local hospital. I found out that it belonged to an old man named William Murdoch Smith who died about a year ago in the same local hospital from multiple internal injuries.

I visited his grave and buried the ring near the headstone and came back home. Things slowly came back to normal. I was able to sleep. The constant irritation is gone. I quit smoking, drinking and gambling and in a way I was able to be me again after a bad year of my life.
Versus (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
I realize it's been a while since this has had a comment. I see the shadow men too and have since I was a child. Oddly my reaction was much like yours... Frustration and eventually indifference.

Physical harm has to come from something else more powerful and my experience is this is the sign of a partial possession (I kind of made up that term based off my experiences). IF your not sleepwalking this could be the reason for the sitting up and yelling or falling on the floor.

My experience is that the lights are not related to this, but are simply a byproduct of this ability you have... Which is to say you are aware.

Also, the shadow men aren't ghosts, or spirits of those who have died, so I'd be surprised if researching history pulls up anything.

You probably do have the ability to communicate with them, but I would be cautious. Mediums need to relinquish control to some degree to allow spirits to use them... Which in my experience is extremely dangerous.

The dreams where you're being forced out is concerning as it's an indication that there is a push on your spirit/awareness whatever you want to call it... Which is another indication of an attempt at least of a partial possession.

Somewhat related is the scratches, which typically come in threes for some reason... My understanding is this is more of a mark than a scratch (like from fingernails or a claw)

I have the abillity to shut this off now. Someone gave the advice that you are more powerful than any apiritual entity, which I also believe and is consistent with my experience. Your best weapon is the lack of fear.

My understanding is these presences are all around so I don't think you will ever be able to stop this, but I've been able to deal by acknowledging their presence without giving them any attention (or emotion, especially negative or fear).

Also, read about lucid sleeping. This helped me be aware of any presence around me and allow myself to wake up and not allow myself to be bothered or attacked.

Most of these presences will be angry when they know that you are aware of them, so as you learn to deal it may get worse before it gets better.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
DogLover - how do you KNOW for a fact that the scratches are from a demon? You are only 13 years old. Unless you have had years of experience in this field, and I'm talking years and years of experience, I cannot imagine how you can arrive at this conclusion.
DogLover6232 (1 stories) (14 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
I believe the scratches are from a demon. Has anyone in your family died recently? They may be saying goodbye. Like my Grandma did through my Grandpa in my dream. I KNOW for a fact that the scratches are demons. You're becoming a medium. I think. Try to close out those spirits if they scare you, talk to them, LISTEN to them. They will only go away if you get a priest in there. If they scare you, say, "Go away! I do not want you here, go, away! You do not belong here!"
Hope that helps!
❤,
DogLover6232
ian39 (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
The fact is your a developing medium. At the moment your wide open and need to close down. Your like a bright flashing light for spirits, so no wonder that you are having experiences. I've been a rescue medium for over 20 years and can relate to everything you say. Firstly learn to close down. Next, ask for your guide to work with you, he or she will stand at your left. Learn about chakras, how to open and close them.
Most important advice I can give you is, whatever you experiance ask for your guide to step in to protect you first of all, then deal with spirit (s). Take care
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
Curious:

It's possible that the two you saw are indeed the ones haunting your house. I've seen similar mental images in other people's haunted houses, and also in my own.:) don't panic, just tell them to respect your space. I think the words I used for my Fred were;

"I know you're here, and I really don't mind that you are, but there needs to be some rules, seeing as we're housemates now. You need to respect my space, and me, because that's what housemates do. Thanks a ton, and, uh, happy hauntings!"

And now my ghost and I co-exist and he actually pulls innocent pranks on my family. It's kind of funny.

Let me know what happens, and if I can give you more advice, I will!

Regards,
Penny ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
curious123,
It is frustrating sometimes, especially if your like me and can only use the remote for the TV, I've blown two TVs, but that was years ago. Now I'm a real stickler about keeping the remote where I can get to it. For a long time I had stopped even mentioning it to anyone. And my reason for that seems silly now, but I was pretty sensitive about it for years because when I drive at night, there are so many times that I'll count up to 6 lights that will blink off after travelling maybe 9 of 10 miles. It was the fact that they only blink OFF for me that had begun to bother me. I got it into my head that it must be a bad sign if they only blinked off. 😕
So when I found an article about it, and found out it wasn't such a bad deal I felt better. Well, actually, just that there was a name for it made me feel like I was vindicated. IT'S REAL!
😊 😊
curious123 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
Pendragon-Thanks, I will definitely try out your advice. I'll let you know if it does work out! I had a funny little feeling that there was more than one. It may have been a little bizarre daydream but I randomly had a vision of a little kid and their older sibling one time when I walked into one of the rooms in my house. The older sibling was worried about the younger one but I couldn't derive anything other than that out of it. Hm, who knows?

Javelina-Those articles really helped! It does actually make sense. I kind of always thought I was unlucky with electricity. I've had about 4 chargers explode when I plugged them in to different outlets. I've also had laptops that refused to turn on for me but would turn on if someone else tried. My phones also randomly turn off on me and my graphing calculator sometimes freezes on me and nobody else in my calculus class has ever had that happen to them. It is really frustrating though, isn't it?
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
Sounds like you have a spirit like a couple of mine hanging around your home! I smell the cries of "IT'S A DEMON!" coming already, and I'm going to plainly deny that now. There is something that has decided it wants your attention. I assure you, my situation is IDENTICAL. I have or had 3 spirits in my home (atleast).

Fred would be my one that is bound to the house. He appears to be lonely, like the one you mentioned that walks around your room and watches you. I can't say for certain what's with the scratches, but I do wake up with numerous bruises for no reason. Fred has grabbed my hands, turned off TVs, thrown objects across the room, made audible footsteps, and so much more. He's a part of my every day activity now. In face, I can sense him watching me as I type. My left shoulder is cold and tingly, like it's asleep. I think your first spirit is like Fred.

Yes, I said first. I believe you have a second one as well. More of a guardian, of which I have two. Still. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet. They drain every lightbulb I pass by, random cats and dogs will watch spots just behind me as I walk, and more than a few lights flicker when I'm outside some days. My guardians have saved my life a few times, and I'm happy for them. You don't seem to have scary experiences outside of the home, and my own similarities to your situation make me smile a bit.

Don't yell at your ghosts - I've learned that they don't like it much. They are, after all, people that passed on. I've had dreams where I'm doing stuff I would never do in my home; digging in the middle of the yard, staying under the stairs, being led towards something. Your ghost could be impatient and upset that you're not helping them. Fred just likes to be talked to, and your spirit could be the same. Just mumble to it quietly at first - they can hear you. When I'm alone, I talk out loud to Fred, and I get the odd chuckle from him. Yes, an audible chuckle. Your ghost will be closer to you, because it knows you can sense it, as odd as that sounds.

You can also calmly explain some ground rules you your spirits - tell them you don't mind them hanging out, but that they need to respect your space, and the people that visit you. Normally, they're good with that sort of thing. Fred likes to turn off the TVs if he doesn't like what my boyfriend is watching, but that's as known as he'll make himself.:)

Hope it's some comfort!
Regards,
Penny ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
curious123,

Here are a couple of things that might help you with finding out information about your home and the property it's built on:
1) while at the library make sure to ask the librarian how to go about searching for the information you want. That's what they are there for and they do know where to find this information. My daughter has a Masters in Library Science and will find stuff I haven't even asked about yet just by getting her started on it.
2) if you live near a University take advantage of that, Go to the Library on campus and go straight the librarian there with your questions. These are usually students that would love nothing better than to help you uncover something that could have a paranormal twist to it. It's worth a try anyway.
😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
curious123,
I have to say, before I found out that it was a real phenomenon, I thought it was just faulty lighting too. I remember when I found the article about it I was so happy! Because even though you want to think it's not you, you still feel a connection somehow. Then someone had asked the author of the article, who had worked on one of the first studies, if it meant something different for the person who the lights went OFF for as compared to the other person who the lights came ON for? And he said there wasn't any that they could identify. But here's a link to one of the articles if you'd like to check it out.
Http://www.cool.com.au/general-news/observations/street-light-interference-20060125135/
Here's one more:
Http://www.profilingtheunexplained.com/psychics_mediums/sliders.html
Let me know if this helps explain the electrical phenomenon that has been going on around you.

Jav
curious123 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
Javelina-Actually I have noticed that I have a funny way of affecting the streetlights but I figured that our city just had faulty wiring but I had no idea that there were other people like that too. Hm, maybe the lights are a whole different part of my life than the other stuff.

And I'd like to thank you for your suggestions and everything but trust me, I've tried rationalizing all that's happened to me and always came up blank. I do not sleepwalk, I've actually written down and recorded how I would go to sleep one night and I've put objects on my hand or my head while I slept and I'd wake up with everything undisturbed and I'd still have scratches. I've searched for years for a normal explanation but I just can't figure it out. I came here since I have no idea how the paranormal works and I don't know where else to look for an answer anymore. I kind of just want the satisfaction of knowing what's been haunting me and to know that I haven't just imagined this whole thing or that I'm not insane.

Dan_Paranormal-I've already tried to look it up on the internet and I found no events but only a history of my house's ownership past showed up. Thank you for the library advice! I'll make sure to check it out!

I've lived here for so long, I don't even know how to approach this anymore. I used to be scared but I got fed up and I've tried yelling at it, I've tried ordering it to leave me alone, but it just won't stop.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Ok a good place to start if you wish to research your particular area would be to look on the internet. If you can't find anything I'd go to the library and look through some old newspaper articles. Sometimes something sticks out that can link you to your personal position.

This seems a particularly nasty spirit of which in my conclusion has attached itself to you, maybe to draw upon your energy to make itself stronger. I think this is a horrible situation to be in especially when you feel as though your body may no longer be your own private possession. It appears you've arrived at a personal battle curious. You're a being, a being much stronger than any spirit can be. You don't have to feel haunted by something, you can defend yourself. Try various sages around your house. It could have a positive effect. This spirit wants you to feel negative so it can draw upon your negative energy. You can fight this because it needs you. Block it out and be confident. It does not get to control you, you control it.

Curious I believe that as people we are stronger than any spirit can ever be. We have the power to fight these things which almost become personal battles. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope this advice helps in some way.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
curious123,
Only you can make the call when it comes to what is and isn't the norm for the type of activity you say you are experiencing. I guess I tend ti lean towards it being half and half.
One of the points of interest for me are the lights flickering or going off or on randomly when you are present. Have you ever noticed if it happened with street lights too? When you're driving at night have you ever noticed if street lights either blinked off as you got nearer, or if one was off and it blinked on as you got near? I have had this occur for as far back as I can remember. In the last few years there has finally been some interest shown in this phenomenon and it's been given a name, 'Street Light Interference' or SLI. We just call ourselves SLIders. The studies conducted so far are inconclusive, I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one AND I'm not nuts.
I can't really say that your other activity isn't paranormal. However, when things occur in your sleep you mustn't jump straight to the paranormal. I say this because a lot of what you have reported here could just as easily been any number of sleep maladies. Walking in your sleep, or waking, only partially, as you are walking can easily be misconstrued as possession. Just as talking or yelling, with eyes open, in your sleep is just that, no matter what it was you said or said it to. Even your scratches can be self-inflicted, especially if you are sleep walking, they could have happened anywhere while in that state.
All this comes down to is being rational about what occurs and doing your best to find a reasonable alternative conclusion first. If that fails and you're still experiencing these oddities, then maybe it is paranormal.

Thanks for sharing you're story,
Jav
Zalwang (48 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Well listen girl if that's all true then you should go to the priests and ask for their help. Well oh right try one more thing try to read Bible and see if that whatever thing is there is starting to act more activly.
Thank you for your cooperation.
curious123 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Zalwang-Well, I've tried to research the history of my house but all I've found out was that the house was built in 1986 and then owned until 1990 before it kept being resold to different owners about three/four times before the bank foreclosed it and my recent landlord bought it in 1995. I looked in my city's news archives from the years 1990-1994 but I could not find anything suspicious.

My boyfriend and I have no interest in calling spirits or ghosts whatsoever and no interest in occultism. Furthermore, I have no unresolved feelings with my boyfriend, we are very honest with each other and he always works with me in our relationship. I'm far from hating me, I love him dearly.

I don't keep any souvenirs close to me.

Bacchaegrl-I don't exactly know what I want to have happen actually, I kind of just want to know what is going on. I'm not terribly scared since I'm pretty accustomed to it but just fed up with curiosity, I guess.

Another major event that happened after I wrote this was that last week I was taking a shower when this thing was finally able to manifest itself physically. It was the shadow of a man right outside the sliding glass door of my shower.

P.S.- I forgot to mention the smaller events when there would be loud banging and dragging/scratching noises on my ceilings and walls, if that means anything to anyone? I have plenty of other details that I didn't think were very important as well if anyone is truly interested in helping me search for an answer. Thank you guys for the feedback/advice that you've given me!
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Well, I guess I going to be one of those people who give repeat advice. You're been experiencing paranormal activity since you were young. As you got older, it got stronger. You can see shadows now, and are experiencing something taking over your body (maybe) when you sleep. There is one thing people are commenting here that is true. It could be almost anything. Being scared, you could have talked yourself into thinking scary things, so your body is doing things when you are asleep, and your subsconcious is actually acting it out. Or... The real deal-possession. It could be when you got older, and went through puberty, this entity or entities drew strength from your emotions, and were and are able to manifest more activity. Or, maybe you have some psychic ability, and are more able to pick up on these more as you got older. Well, something is definitely happening to you, as scary as it is, you must try to stay calm and strong. Easiser said than done, I know. Try to observe more, watch. See what else, if anything happens. Lots of people give advice here. As others commented, sometimes sensible... Sometimes downright nutty. But one is right, trust in yourself. Your gut will let you know. I think... A spirit of sorts may have attached itself to you, and as you got older, and more scared, it grew stronger. It maybe feeding off your fear. I don't know. But if you can tell yourself you are stronger than this, with the help of a loving boyfriend, and people who can help with stuff like, if it comes to that, you will be fine. Have faith in yourself. And tell 'this', I WILL be fine.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
[at] bacchagrl well said I had noticed that this persons "advice" was like copy and paste! All the same thing!?
And to be honest not in the slightest bit helpful!
People come here to share experiances and for advice, help or just to tell there story.
Telling them its not ghost/spirit activity they don't exist (other comment left) is as about as helpful as trying to carry water in a bottomless bucket~ ruddy usless
aku (4 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
There are so many reasons for this...
It can be paranormal...
It can also be energy static from a mass of people... And it just happened to you maybe because at that time you are currently the one having that lot of energy...
It can also be that you think so much of it, plus your mind is made up already... Meaning you already imagine some things or shapes on your mind, and it so happens that under this circumstances you think about it and it projected from your brain through your visuals...

It might also be that subconciously... You really did not like your boyfriend... That there are things that you don't really like about him...

And remember while we are asleep our subconcious takes over...
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Is this about demons again, Zalwang? I'm a new poster too, but come on, we want to know what your credentials are. There are many theories and answers out there. Most people don't know the answers. I know I don't. What makes you think that you know all the answers? You do raise some good questions, well, one, the one about dealing with the occult. And I guess asking the history of the location isn't too bad either. I just have to say, what? Every experience is different. No two cases are exactly the same. I know I get in trouble for correcting grammar on this site, but come on people, give me a break on this one. You're questions hardly make any sense. I'm not saying anything about the story, just the comment above. As far as the actual story is concerned, you sound like a haunted person, curious123. Are you afraid? Don't listen to people who think they know who you are and what exactly you are going through. What do you want to have happen? Listen to yourself first.

This comment from Zalwang is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: