You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: What Happened With My Tarot Cards?

Real Ghost Stories

What Happened With My Tarot Cards?

 

Summer 1986 my soon to be wife (now ex) wanted to get me a special gift. What she bought me was a deck of Tarot card's. This is the only deck I have ever owned that I did not buy. Something strange happened with this deck, and I've never found out exactly what.

Samantha (Sam) wanted to get me a 'joined the Navy' gift. I had recently enlisted and was in the delayed entry program. She went to an occult shop called Ye Olde Mystique Shoppe and purchased a Tarot deck called The Stairs of Gold by Tavaglion. The shop owner asked her as she checked out what they were for and Sam told her, a gift for my fiance. The shop owner then asked her if she could bless the deck before she left the store. Sam thought this was a cool idea and soon left with a 'blessed deck' of Tarot cards. She gave them to me and I went through the complete deck to look at all the cards. This deck is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, great art work and the symbols on the cards... They are just wonderful to look at.

I began using them, everything seemed fine and I really liked this deck. A friend asked for a reading... As I waited for them to come by my house I was 'casting' the cards... Just shuffling them, then laying them out, picking up those cards and laying out another 10 cards. Something caught my eye... I had just pick up a 'casting' that had the Ace of Coins in the 7th position. My next 'lay out' had the Ace of Coins in it... In the 5th position (for reference I use the Celtic Cross Pattern) This card being in another 'casting' was really odd as I was just picking up the casts and setting them to the side. So I pick up my last cast and sure enough there was the Ace of Coins... Now sitting beside another Ace of Coins... My deck, which had the normal amount of cards, now had two (2) Ace of Coins. I didn't know what to think...

First I thought it may have to do with the meaning of the card...

Ace of Coins: Satisfaction... Perfect contentment, happiness.

Good sentiments, but not much help...

Long story short... The next 2 times I go to do readings for people, as I do my 'warm up casting' a similar thing happened... The next card to Double itself was the 2 of Coins (Embarrassment, moments of stasis or perplexity, arising of difficult situations). The next card... The Three of Coins (Fame, great artistic ability, Perfection that brings fame and dignity).

So by the end of the Summer I have a Tarot deck that has extra cards and I have no idea where they came from. I keep my cards in a silk lined, locked box and yet I have these extra cards. I consulted Psychic's (2), a Numerologist and even did reading's for myself. I never figured out why this happened.

I left for the Navy on November 20th 1986, Bootcamp, School in Pensacola Fl and reported to my first ship in Charleston, SC. I returned to Pensacola, Fl in May 1988 and when I unpacked... The box with my cards was not there. I know I packed it... But It was gone. I still use the same Tarot deck, one I have bought for myself but even after all these year's I still do not understand what was happening with that deck but I'd love to find out.

Respectfully,

Rook

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-13)
Fruity Tanglin climbs onto Miss Demeanour with a large platter of pot stickers and hands out fortune cookies to all. She slips her copy of the K-drama 'Goblin' into the DVD player. Waving to Val, she shows her the 'Wisdom of Trees' Oracle cards she has brought along and they muse over a 3-card spread. The glass window crackles twice; her spirit guardian is watching and listening.

Rex-T puts on her song request, 'Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas:
"Carry on my wayward son,
For there'll be peace when you are done;
Lay your weary head to rest,
Don't you cry no more."
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-13)
Thanks, Rook.

Your analysis boils down to a skill I use all the time at work: close reading. Even though you may be feeling under the weather (my condolences), you've managed to beat me at my own game, as it were. You are correct about the diction in the booklet, therefore more likely than I to be correct in the subsequent analysis. I probably let my predilection for focusing objects get ahead of my instincts, here.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Biblio.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-13)
Biblio,

I based my observations on how the OP described the experience (and my 'gut' feeling about how those statements 'felt'). This quote was a 'big aha' for me... "you'll know you're on the right track when you see your crystal ball awaken. You'll see an eye slowly begin to open!"

Please notice the wording...'when you see your crystal ball awaken'...I would expct the wording to be more along the lines of...'you will know you are begining to attune your thrid eye with your crystal when you see an eye slowly begin to open'...That difference says volumes to me.

In the 'book' wording it sounds as if the crystal is being used as a focus object to help an individual 'bridge' the veil between the physical and the spiritual realms. Which, at least to me, is more along the line of what a Ouijia board does for those who use it. The ball or board becomes the 'doorway/window' between the realms.

Whereas if you attune yourself, i.e your thrid eye, to the crystal ball, the crytstal mearly allows the user to better 'see' what their own perseptions are picking up on and possibly allowing the user to undrstand the images they are receiving.

I have seen crystal balls used either way and to various degrees of effect... So as with so many things INENT seems to drive just what the crystal ball does for an individual, does it mearly 'show' what an individual is 'seeing' with their thrid eye? OR is the individual using the crystal to help spirits communicate across the 'veil'.

I hope that makes sense, I am at home, feeling a bit under the weather. So I am not sure if anything I have stated makes sense. Please let me know what you think and ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook

Rex-T,

Yup, I must agree, I cried BS, when I watched Solitare with her cards, that's just not how they work... On your other point, Not sure whom she has made a deal with (just kidding) to keep her beauty but she certianly has. Music and drink choice easily provided and here is the remote for the drop down 60" tv screen and the key to the dvd cabinet under some of the seat's (the collection is very action adventure heavy. I recommend Wasabi)...feel free to watch any of them you wish.

Respectfully,

Puff
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-11-13)
MrsRamsey,

Great idea, however we did not use a moving company (glad you caught them though). Here is a link to what they look like...

Http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stairs-of-gold/

I shall answer other inquiries in the near future... My wife just caught me dozing off at the computer.

Respectfully

Rook
MrsRamsay (guest)
+1
4 years ago (2019-11-12)
Hi Rook, what an interesting story. I don't know anything, really, about tarot cards or even much about the supernatural, period. I've had things happen, including my personal things being moved, and am open minded I think. That said, husband and I were also in Pensacola in early 1988 (I wrote for the base paper)... But... We caught our movers at that time removing a few choice things from our household items (his prized leather flight jacket and drill instructor sword included). Just a thought that if the cards were beautiful, perhaps one of those skanky military movers decided to re-gift them? Maybe even the same guys, haha. In any case, it is amazing about the appearing cards! All the best.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-12)
I have seen your comments and shall reply Anon.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-11)
Hi, Rook!

It was parent-teacher conferences tonight, so if you've got a stash of the cocktail onions, I could use a Gibson, straight up, and no need to bother with the fancy glass.

I realize that it was a different conversation that was being shifted over here to the Miss Demeanor (out of her garage for the second time in two weeks!), but I do have a question about your post to Cherubim's narrative "The Crystal Ball" (www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=26921). The reason I'm asking outright (besides my usual bluntness) is that I think you know more about this topic than I do, and I'm concerned that I missed a key detail.

I had thought that Cherubim had seen the eye in the crystal because of the opening of her "3rd eye." Following this train of thought, anything that she experienced after that point would have been more obvious to her because of her newly-heightened awareness.

You stated --in essence-- Cherubim had opened a door that needed to be closed in order to being about a more peaceful resolution to the narrative. Was the vision of the opening of an eye symbolic of some greater power awakening? What was it I missed? I know that you've had a great deal of experience as a practitioner & student of a range of skills, whereas I've grown up with a hodge-podge of abilities, knacks, and gifts, aided by a heterodox approach to development/growth in this arena.

Thanks, in advance, for taking some time to show me where I erred.

Best,
Biblio.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-11)
Rook,

Apart from Hollywood's "bupkis" plot line in the James Bond movie "Live and Let Die", I have had no exposure to Tarot Cards.

So, from an outsider's perspective, I was drawn to BadJuuJuu's crackpot theory of the deck of cards. The notion that a group of seemingly inanimate objects evolve into an entity that embarks on a journey of growth (possibly helping people on the way) is a fascinating, yet disturbing concept.

Initially, I had a chuckle thinking of the havoc that this deck of cards could cause in a place like Los Vegas but then realized that a person could walk away with a lot of money or be taken on a tour of the irrigation pipe system in the desert (like in "Diamonds are Forever"). All on the intent of the cards and the user's judgement.

I think I'd rather be sitting at the lower deck bar of the Miss Demeanor, drinking (non-alcoholic) mead, listening to Blue Oyster Cult (possibly Van Morrison and Uriah Heep?) and discussing pressing matters with the YGS family. Like how come Jane Seymour still looks like Solitaire at 68 years old? Is this some paranormal effect from the Tarot Cards?

Rex-T
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-10)
Puff Bayram pulls up in the psychedelic painted double-decker bus, lovingly called the Miss Demeanor, and after parking it he opens both bars (upper and lower decks) turns on the hot tub to ensure it is heated nicely and then attends to the sound system... Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper fills the bus, and indeed the surrounding area with its melodic tones...

Puff sets the music selection to 'auto' and then draws himself a Pint of Mead from the bar on the lower deck (Thorin's Viking to be precise) and slowly sips it while enjoying the music and waiting for others to arrive.

Puff Bayram.
Thespian4Life (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
Hi Rook! First may I say that I enjoy your comments and stories! You are very knowledgeable about the paranormal and such so I thought you may be able to give me insight on something. Since my mom (really grandmother... They adopted me young) passed in 2002 we get "fluttered" by butterflies. They even skim our vehicle. And one landed on my stomach when I was pregnant with our son. I'm I correct in thinking this could be my mom? Or is it something else? A friend that is a medium told me not long ago someone in our house is like a beacon to spirits and in turn attracts them. No idea who it would be out of the three of us but yeah. What are your thoughts on the butterflies if you don't mind giving me input? 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
VermontVampyre,

Doing readings on 'ourselves' is the hardest to do... I don't get 'great' readings on myself either. But they make for good practice. Do not give up.

If you have questions you can e-mail me via the addie on my profile, just mention being Vermont Vampyre in the subject line, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Respectfully,

Rook
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
I might just try that Rook. Thanks for the clarificaton. I'm not much good at tarot reading I'm afraid. Then again I only have myself to do readings on... And they are never clear.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
VermontVampyre,

'Death' 99.8% of the time when this card is present in a reading or drawn as a single card from the deck it represents CHANGE... Which you experienced with your 'unexpected move'...

So, to me anyway, you are not weird, nor are your decks 'odd' in any way.

As far as it being 'your card'? Try this, remove the Major Arcana from your deck, give them a good shuffle and as you do so ask this question... Who am I? Once done shuffling spread them out face down and them draw the first one you feel drawn to (up to 3 cards) see what it (they are).

Respectfully,

Rook
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Thats an odd deck. I thought I was the only weird one. I've had 2 decks so far. Riyder Waite was the first followed by one where the major arcana were depicted as dragons. Anyways when I got both decks I spread them out face down and picked a card. Both times it was the major arcana card 'death'.

After drawing the second one I ended up moving away from home a few months later unexpectedly. I'm not sure if Death will always appear as my card... Or if both decks [purchased within 6 months of each other] were just hinting that I'd be facing a new beginning. [Death has always felt like a new beginning to me]
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
valkricry,

Nope not weird at all. I too have used a deck of regular cards to do readings, I just find I get a much more detailed reading when I use a full Tarot Deck. I must be 'odd' as I have no trouble doing a reading on myself. As far as 'picking up' others emotions' during a reading, no matter how far the distance, I am the same way.

Thanks for the feedback.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Hi Rook,
At that time my brother was newly married to a woman who claimed to be a witch, and she pretty much 'blessed' everything, so it is possible. (I say 'claimed' as I never saw anything to give it creedence - but because I didn't witness something doesn't mean it isn't so).
I am sitting here debating on how to answer your latter question on if I use the cards. I know it's a simple enough question. It's the answer that is somewhat complex. You see, I don't have to use the Tarot deck to do a reading, a regular deck of playing cards works the same for me. Only, I can never seem to do a reading on myself (I've heard that's normal), but if I am close to a person, I can just concentrate on them hard and do a reading about them, no matter how far away they might be physically. I also tend to see/experience what the cards have to say. Kind of like mini-movies, sometimes with audio, mostly not. But strong emotions or pain I will feel. I know 'reading' was not like that for my Dad. And, I've never met anyone else who experianced 'readings' this way either. Guess, that just makes me weird.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
valkricry,

You said they could see their decks and yet you had one at your home as well...That's a bit more than 'returning' to you.

Do you know if your Brother had ever had his deck blessed?

I agree it sounds as if you are meant to have a deck, do you use one?

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Tarot cards can be funny things... My brother had a Rider-Waite deck, at the time he lived in California and I had been out to visit. Returning home and unpacking, I found the deck laying on my bed. I figured it had been in my bag as a 'present' from my brother, so I called to thank him. He claimed no knowledge. I just figured that was odd. A few months later my Dad had come to visit from Kentucky and grew excited about the deck for some reason. (My dad is a story onto himself, and was very apt with the Tarot.) For some unknown reason he couldn't really explain he wanted that particular deck so I gave it to him. A couple of weeks later I found the deck tucked in a drawer. Again I thought odd, but maybe Dad had forgotten to take it. Not very likely, he can be quite anal about that stuff, but I called him just the same. He gave me the same reply my brother had - both could see 'their' decks from where they stood and had no idea where mine came from.
I have never bought a Tarot deck, but this one has been given away and come back no less than 5 times. I figure it's meant to be with me for some reason.
Perhaps the 'blessing' put on your deck wasn't really a blessing but some sort of spell? I don't know. Like I said, they can be funny things.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
geetha,

To answer your questions...

" (1) When did you become interested in Tarot Card reading?"

This was the first thing I really began to research after 'breaking with the church'. My first 'deck' was an 'Egyptian Talking Card Deck' I bought at K-mart in 1980/81 (?)...it actually sucked but after some time spent in the Library I learned about 'real' Tarot Cards.

" (2) What's with the different decks of cards?"

Each is based on what the decks creator feels 'empowers them'. For some it's the 4 Elements... For others 'The Fay'. The deck I currently use is called The Stairs of Gold...

(http://www.learntarot.com/tgdesc.htm)

(3) How did you learn to do the readings? I was 'self-taught' and I used this deck/book to help me learn the basics...

(http://www.learntarot.com/rwdesc.htm)

You can find 'box' versions in of this deck that have a 'how to' book that comes with the cards.

Respectfully,

Rook
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I wouldn't be able to help you on this one because I don't know enough information on this one. I would have to ask a friend of mine from high school on this and she has been doing readings since then. But I have interested in Tarot reading and the cards.

But I have questions for you.

(1) When did you become interested in Tarot Card reading?
(2) What's with the different decks of cards?
(3) How did you learn to do the readings?
Slenderman (33 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
[at] Rook

So you appear to have a deck of rabbits. That is interesting. 😜 😆

Keep it real,

Slenderman
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
chadlee,

Thank you for reading and enjoying.

It was nice to find a site that I could share them on, one that invites feedback and allows open debate... Even if we do get carried away sometimes... 😲

Respectfully,

Rook
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
seems like from most of your stories you have a connection with the other side on so many different levels, I am truly facinated with your comments and your stories and enjoy reading them 😁
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
Another great story Rookdygin, although I have no knowledge of tarot cards, the idea of having cards that weren't in the pack before are just odd and fascinating-I think the owner of that shop did more then blessed them! 😁
raccoonbonapart (1 stories) (21 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
[at] Rook, I have been pulling the six of cups a lot lately, so I think you may be on to something. I hadn't considered that.

[at] Nysa, I don't know if I really feel a spiritual connection to either of them. I really like the Fenestra because it is very pretty, but I don't feel like I'm really connected to it. When my friend gave me the Universal deck I felt familiar with it because that was what I was using when I first started to learn tarot, but beyond that familiarity I didn't really feel a connection. I've had my eye on a deck called "the tarot of the trees" for quite some time now.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
That "fenestra" deck is pretty raccoonbonapart. Just out of curiosity, did you feel more of a connection to the first deck or the replacement deck, or neither more than the other? I have owned & enjoyed a handful of tarot decks over the years, but only recently found a deck that I feel a deep spiritual affinity to & the difference is incredible. Now I can understand the significance of such coincidences.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
raccoonbonapart,

I think you said it... The 'Tarot for Beginners' comes with a book so it's not that 'uncommon'. Intresting that your 'first deck' came back to you... Do you think it may have been a 'cosmic hint' to return to your roots... Or to have a look at your past before continuing with something? I'm not to keen on coincidence so it may be something to consider.

Respectfully,

Rook
raccoonbonapart (1 stories) (21 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Interesting story, Rook! I have a tarot story too, although it isn't as mysterious as yours. My first deck was from a "tarot for beginners" kit that I bought at Chapters. It came with a deck and a book. It's this one here:

Http://www.amazon.ca/Tarot-Kit-Beginners-Llewellyn/dp/0738705063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326131772&sr=8-1

It's the Universal deck, which is pretty similar to Rider-Waite.

Three years ago, when my son was a month old, I left it in a taxi in my son's diaper bag. I know that a diaper bag is a weird place to keep a tarot deck. My ex boyfriend was in the taxi too and got along really well with the driver, and the driver gave him his cell phone number to call for taxi rides in the future. Well, my ex called and left messages about the diaper bag and we never heard back from him. It was a really nice diaper bag and the taxi driver also had a new baby so I think maybe he didn't call back because he gave it to his girlfriend. Also in the diaper bag were some clothes for my son, and one of the outfits happened to be the one that he wore home from the hospital.: (That's not the point of this story though, so I'll just continue.

I took it as a sign that it was time for a new tarot deck and ordered this one online: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fenestra/

It's really pretty and I've been working with that one ever since.

Over the holidays that we just had, I went and visited my family in Ontario (I live in Quebec now) and also stayed with a friend for a bit. She gave me two of her tarot decks. One is a travel size Rider-Waite, and the other is the Universal deck, the same one that I started out with. It's not an uncommon deck so I didn't think much of it until I saw that she also had the book from the kit! She said that she didn't need the book and that I could have that too. So I lost my first tarot cards, but they came back to me! Maybe the book also isn't uncommon, but I still think that it's neat.

The deck is sitting in front of me right now, but I haven't been able to find the book since I came home. Maybe I don't really need the book either!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
Not sure what references you may have... Here is a good link for a basic Celtic Cross 'spread'...

Http://www.learntarot.com/ccross.htm

As I mentioned, follow your instinct, these any layout you choose is not 'set in stone'. Tarot cards can be very personal and if you allow yourself to 'go with the flow' you may find a unique layout that 'works' for you.

Respectfully,

Rook
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
That sounds great Rook I can't wait to read it. I have recently started looking in to differant spreads and seeing which ones appeals to me the most. The first one I have been trying is the Diamond layout that Taz and yourself have shown me from here will try the celtic cross. Thanks for your advice Rook!

Cheers,

Dan 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: