You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Finally Met My Father

Real Ghost Stories

I Finally Met My Father

 

My father passed away when my mother was 7 months pregnant with me. He was 21. I have lived my whole life knowing that he wanted a little girl more than anything in the world.

The day after he passed away, a phone call came in from a children's boutique in town. My aunt answered the call, they asked for my father by name, and she told them that he had passed away. The clerk informed her that she had a green infant dress, blanket, bonnet, and booties that he had placed on layaway and wanted to know if he still wanted to purchase it. He hadn't made a payment on it in several weeks because he had been ill. My aunt went straight there and paid it off. I wore it home from the hospital (this was 1978 and they had no idea that I would be a girl).

I am 32 now, and going through the hardest time in my life. My husband has been unable to work in over a year due to a progressively debilitating medical condition, and to say the least I am exhausted from working as a nurse, taking care of 4 children and him when I get home, and constantly worrying.

I'm not sure if what I am going to describe is a dream, or if it was maybe my father's only way of being able to communicate with me because I am very, very afraid of the supernatural.

Two months ago I had a dream that I woke up soaked in sweat and very thirsty (which is not uncommon for me). I walked into the kitchen, flipped on the light, and standing by the table was my father. He was dressed in and khaki colored shirt and pants. They looked like linen. His shoes were the same color and they were loafers. This was not what I had always imagined him wearing. His hair was still shoulder length, and he was still young.

I just stood there with my heart pounding and I'm sure my eyes wide. I started to scream but before I could he said "Wait! Don't be scared, don't be scared! I'm sorry to scare you... You always startle so easily."

I couldn't speak, so I just stood there. He then said "I've wanted to talk to you but you jump and startle every time I try." By this time I had begun to get my bearings, and I was beginning to understand what was going on. I did the one thing I had always wanted to do. I ran to him and threw my arms around him. He was as warm and soft as if he were alive. I cried into his shirt for several minutes.

When I pulled myself together, we sat down at the kitchen table. He took his shoes off and propped his feet in an empty chair. I looked down at his shoes, and I remember seeing the number 12 marked in the heel. I remember thinking that I needed to remember that because it was important.

We talked for a very, very long time. We talked about my mom, my children, and my life. He told me several things that still bring tears to my eyes. He told me that he was sorry he had to leave me the way he did, but that he had to because he could take better care of me from where he was than he could have from here. He told me that I am doing a wonderful job with my children, and that they are all four such special individual people. He said that he smiles whenever my mother tells my daughter, who is 13, that she reminds her of him in so many ways. He said that he watches them sleep, and made me laugh when he said that he loved my twins' names (Simon after Paul Simon, and Cash after Johnny Cash) and that Cash had beautiful hair that he loved to touch while he was sleeping. He said he was sorry that he kept knocking my pictures off of the walls, but that sometimes he just had to touch them. Those pictures have been falling off of the walls for years in every house I've lived in.

Then he got to the real reason he was there. He said that he wanted me to listen to him carefully, and to take to heart what he was going to say. He said that things were going to get a whole lot harder for me soon, and that it would be ok. He said he would be right there with me and that I could get my family through it. I asked him what he was talking about and he just said that I already knew.

I started crying again, and then I woke up...sweating, sobbing, and thirsty. I pulled it together enough the next morning to call my mother to ask her a very important question. I asked her what size shoe my dad wore. She was confused, but answered my question... He wore a 12.

I explained my dream to her through sobs, and she started sobbing with me. Later that evening we talked about it in more detail. When I told her what the shoes looked like, she said that those were the shoes he was buried in. She said she didn't know where the clothes came from, but that they had bought him new shoes to be buried in and those fit the description.

She asked how I knew it was just a dream, and the only explanation I have is that we had moved all the kitchen chairs on the back deck earlier that day because my toddler twins had learned to climb onto the kitchen table from the chairs. It was just easier to get rid of them unless we were using them. The chairs were all in place in my dream.

I have always been afraid of "ghosts". I get up almost every night to get a glass of water, and I usually turn on the light, think I see something, jump and gasp, get the water and run back to my bed as fast as I can. Since my dream, I don't even do that anymore. I don't leave my bedroom unless it's light outside.

I don't know why I am afraid to see him again because that conversation is what I've always longed for. One would think that I would want to do it over and over, but I just don't.

Other hauntings by buttercup4

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, buttercup4, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
buttercup: I'm sorry I missed this, too... All I can advise, is that you pay close attention to songs, animals that may have been important to your Dad, or anything you normally wouldn't experience on a daily basis... You may be surprised to see that he is communicating, the only way he can... ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
buttercup - I'd like to apologize for all of us for missing this update. I'd also like to say how happy we are that what we, or at least I, feared wasn't what your dad was referring to. Thank God. As for the emotional problems your little man is going through, my heart is with you. My little man is 9 1/2 and I can't imagine what you're going through.

Even if your dad isn't showing you through visible signs that he is there, I believe he's still there. Keep talking to him. Sometimes that outlet is a help itself. I realize it's not the same as having a pair of arms wrapped around you, but think about him being on the other end of a phone. He really couldn't hug you then either ❤
buttercup4 (3 stories) (6 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Just a little update... I have been telling my daddy "hello" and "goodbye", but haven't heard anything else from him. What I thought he was talking about when he told me that things were about to get harder was not what I thought it would be. My husband was in the process of ruling out MS and ALS, and both were negative (thank GOD!). I believe now that what he was talking about were emotional problems that my 8 year old son is experiencing. As afraid as I have been to talk to him again, I practically BEGGED him to come back to me this weekend because I needed to talk. Still haven't heard from him, but I'm still hoping.

It's strange that I talk to God several times a day, and I do feel comfort in that, but to think that I could get advise from my daddy almost makes me giddy.

Thank you all for your thoughts. You have all warmed my heart.
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
No way. You are from South Carolina. So am I! I don't believe this! This story is so heart-warming. I enjoyed it very, very much. It is going on my favorites.

I'm so happy that you aren't scared of the paranormal anymore. I used to be too, until I had my first couple experiences.

Thank you so much for sharing. Please let us know if you have any more encounters with your father.

AF1 ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Buttercup What a story, every aspect of your story I can relate too, not so much by experience but by understanding of your circumstances, I have never felt a story come through like this one before... You do have some challenges ahead of you and you have been given this moment with your dad to prepare yourself for them... They (spirits) especially family members who know how frighten some people are will meet their family members in a dream state to convey messages and express concern or love like your father did... The fact that you saw him as a young person is validation for me that your dream was real and played out on a spiritual field... See when we die our spirit can look what ever age it wants... I saw my dad young too he was about 20 years old and my mother looked about 40... The difference for me was I was not dreaming... I saw them in my home, for you it was easier to handle through your dream state... In regards to your Dads warning of difficult time ahead... 2 years before my mother died I was warned in a dream what laid ahead by a spirit guide... Who also later told me my mother would suffer and told my mother she would be better off in the spirit world... Both of these warnings came true... You see where I'm heading with this, you have had this dream for a reason? And that reason is two fold in my opinion... 1 to prepare yourself on a spiritual level to keep faith in what you feel deep down is right... No matter how bad or tough times are... And they are tough for you right now... You have to keep strong girl... And at times its ok to be weak too, when you need to let it all out... After all we are only human, your father very cleverly apologised for moving stuff around and doing what he said... To let you know he is with you...don't be frighten, you can talk to him through mind if you want, ask him for his support and to watch over your family... Which he will anyway, I fought this gift with fear and denial for many years and understand how much they can frighten people... But in recent years I have surrendered the fear and accepted the truth with open arms... Take care mate I truly wish you all the best and love in the world. ❤

Daz
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
buttercup4, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful encounter with us. It always warms my heart to read about experiences like yours because it furthers my belief that our loved ones continue to watch over us even after they have passed on. I had a similar encounter with my grandfather. Like you, I was going through a difficult time in my life. The relationship with my first husband was ending and I decided to divorce him. I dreamt of my grandfather and he pretty much said the same thing to me. "I'm sorry I had to leave you" I understand your fear as it is unnerving to feel, hear, or see spirits. Maybe you can put yourself at ease by lighting a candle for your Dad at night and saying a little prayer for him. Thanks again, and take care 😊 ❤
buttercup4 (3 stories) (6 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Wow! I didn't expect any response, but these have been very kind. I do believe that he was trying to communicate in a non-threatening way since I am such a chicken. Since this happened, I feel like he's been getting "braver" in his approach. I was alone in the house for the first time in months (literally) last week, and in the quiet I had an overwhelming need to listen to The Eagles (one of his favorite bands). I wasn't thinking of him at all at the time, I just really had to get my mp3 player out and listen to The Eagles. My daughter has had experiences of her own that I have tried to ignore for years that I am working on getting together here.

I intend to try the "hi Daddy, bye Daddy" experiment starting today. That was a wonderful suggestion.

Granny- I read your daughter's story and I felt a true connection to her. It is soo hard to know that your father never laid eyes on you. A piece of your heart is forever missing.

I have checked out the thirst thing (that made me laugh). I have sjogren's syndrome which affects the glands (salivary glands being one of them). They underproduce, so I have constant thirst.

And yes, I would love to talk to a medium, but I can't afford to do something frivilous like that. I'm barely keeping my family afloat as it is.

Thank you all for your responses. It's nice for someone else to understand.
Louise21 (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
That is such a nice story. Would you ever consider going to see a medium to see if they can contact him.? I lost my best friend when I was little and a psychic told me he constantly visits and looks over myself and my son. I wasn't expecting to hear about him since it was years ago. While she was telling me this she said he was standing beside me and instead of saying 'hello' I froze, my heart was pounding and I felt dizzy because I was scared. But I wish I could turn back time so I could tell him then and there that I loved him very much and thank him for looking over my little man and me.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
GRANNY I followed the linkthrough your profile did not comment there but can you pass a message on for me to your daughter?
Thought it was so sweet she got to meet him.
Thanks granny ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Beautiful story! I do not want to see my father in spirit form either,but, he has let his presence be known through electronic manipulation and an over powering feeling of love. That's his calling card.

I have had dreams of him but none as detailed as yours. You are blessed. Miracle's suggestion of getting used to him by saying bye, hello, good moring is a good one. That's what I do so I am no longer afraid when he let's me know he is around. (id say it startles me more than anything now lol)

Ps... You are a nurse... Your thirst... Have you had that checked out?

Xxo best wishes, you are not alone, sending prayers for you and your family. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
buttercup: Sorry, that link isn't going to work, I think because a picture was added later on... Just click on my profile, and in my favorite posters is monkeylemur82... Click on her name, and that will take you to her profile, where her story is...Sorry, "oldie moment"! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Buttercup - my daughter's dad died when she was 14. Even though she had him for that long, it wasn't a very good relationship and during the last 5 years of his life, they didn't have a relationship at all. About a year after he died, my daughter dreamed about her dad. The dream was very realistic but she, like you, knew it was a dream. The next morning when she told me about it, she asked me if I thought he was really "real" in her dreams. If her dream was "real" and this was how he was communicating with her. She told me she didn't want her dad to be a ghost. Even though we have lived with ghosts in our lives ever since she was 5, she doesn't like to talk about them. She knows they're there, but she doesn't want to "encourage" them. I'm not sure there's a point I'm trying to make there. I think I'm just trying to let you know you're not alone in how you feel. One thing you can take comfort in is knowing your dad will be there when you need him.

Just a piece of advice from me to you. Baby steps. You know your dad is there and always has been. Looks like he intends to be there for you and your family. Try this. When you leave your home, as you are getting ready to shut the door and everyone else is already outside and can't hear you, just say "bye Dad" and quickly shut the door. It'll get easier each time you do it. Eventually you'll be able to say "Mornin' Dad" when you wake up. It's really no different than talking to yourself. And don't tell me you've never talked to yourself😉

Beautiful story, buttercup. I had tears in my eyes by the time I finished it the first time. And the second. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
buttercup: I'm sitting here near tears... I would like for you to read a story titled "The First Time I Met My Daddy", by Monkeylemur82...Here's the link:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?=9247

You have nothing to fear, honey... I believe your father is just looking out for you...It's pretty amazing, if you think about... Thank you for posting this heart felt story...

You have a lot in common with the poster of the aforementioned account... ❤
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
That is a beautiful story. Like taz890 said, now that you know it's your father visiting you try to not be afraid. Saying "Hi, dad!" or something along those lines will help you feel better.

Since he was able to communicate with you in a dream perhaps he'll try again.

Stay strong and know that you have a strong support network here and in the spirit world!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
hi there buttercup4
From what you say in the last part of your story it sounds like your father has been trying to visit you for some time. The jummpy feeling you get when you go for a drink, like you said in your story he did say sorry for that and he knew it made you jump when he had done it before.

Personaly I do think your father used your dream to talk to you the only way he could, while you slept.

I would say you have nothing to fear he is looking after you and wanted you to know, I would surgest next time you get the jumps when you enter your kitchen or where ever just say "thanks for that dad" and laugh it off, it should ease if you can do this.

I hope your experiance does not shut you off from your father he will be there for you when you need him

Thank you for sharing a sweet story,
Carl

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: