You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Not My Father

Real Ghost Stories

Not My Father

 

After years of seeing strange and frightening things in my yellow house in Quartz Hill, CA, I went to a psychologist to see if perhaps these things were in my head. It had gotten to the point that I occasionally ran screaming from my bedroom without being fully aware of what was going on, and as my bedroom was next to the staircase I was afraid one night I might tumble down the stairs. I had already hurt an ankle and wrist trying to get away from whatever it was lingering in my bedroom. At the time I was a senior in high school, so this took place late '94 or early '95.

I was deep in my therapy at this point, but my psychologist hadn't been able to figure out what was causing me to see scary things. Toward the end he conceded that I did perhaps have the ability to see things that many other people can't see.

One night I was downstairs on the sofa. I got up and walked to the kitchen. In my peripheral vision I saw a man standing in the room next to the living room; he was wearing a bright red t-shirt, blue shorts and glasses. I just thought it was my father, so as I walked into the kitchen I called out, "Daddy?"

From upstairs in his office I hear, "What, sweetie?"

I immediately went to look where I had seen the man and no one was there. I rushed all over the downstairs making sure all the doors and windows were closed and locked- they were. Though it would have been impossible for my father to have been downstairs and then rush upstairs in time to answer me I asked, "Were you just downstairs?"

"No, I've been up here all night."

That man had looked as solid and real as could be. From what I saw of him he looked a lot like my father did maybe ten years before. He just stood there, perfectly straight, without moving.

Even though it was nine o'clock at night I called my therapist. To my surprise he answered. I told him what I had seen. He asked if there was anything unusual going on in the house. We had just gotten the carpets cleaned and all the furniture had been moved around. He said sometimes making changes to a place dredges up things from the unseen world around it.

The next day at school I told my girlfriends, who knew my house was haunted, about what I saw and to my surprise they said, "Oh, yeah- we see that guy all the time. We thought you knew about him!"

Other hauntings by Kristy_Glick

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kristy_Glick, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
I read in one of your other stories that your sister saw a hand on the door knob of her room. Did she see anything else and did she see the same person/ thing that you saw?

My mother being a religious and superstitious person would always put a bless string from the temple (Hindu culture) on my siblings or my wrists as a protection whenever we were experiencing something bad. It is said that the blessed string would protect you from anything evil. I'm not sure what religion you practice or what you believe in but can you do something similar like wearing a cross chain or carrying a quartz rock with you for protection from evil things? About the quartz, I'm not an expert but some of the other posters can give you more information or tell me that I'm wrong in this case?

I would have totally freaked out in your case, if I saw something like that!
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
cosmogal926: Nice to see you again! 😁

It is weird that there are so many sightings of family member doubles; I'd never heard of it before I saw my own.

Devious Angel: My therapist was a psychologist my doctor referred me to who was in the same HMO, High Desert Medical Group. He did have a PhD and a license to practice behavioral therapy. He specialized in helping children and families.

I was really surprised myself when he suggested that I might just have a sensitivity to the unseen world. I originally went into therapy hoping- and terrified- that it was all in my head. It was only after months of dredging up my history and a bunch of tests that he told me he didn't think it was in my head. I was both relieved and scared by that news.

Thank you both for your comments!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Thank you for sharing your story. That would have freaked me out too... I don't appreciate things that imitate my loved ones, lol. I'm curious though, most therapists don't acknowledge the existence of an "other world" and many times, they are more apt to prescribe you medications for hallucinations before they'll believe in the paranormal. Was this a licensed therapist you went to, or one with a special field of interest? Perhaps a family member or friend? I don't think you're crazy or anything. It sounds like your house may be a hot spot for residual energy.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
I agree with otteer, there have been many reports on this kind of phenomena, and I don't know what to make of it. It is very strange and creepy to think that something can mimic the appearance of someone who is living. Especially creepy since you mentioned that this person looked like your father did 10 years younger. Thanks for sharing this with us. 😊
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
otteer: I think that might happen for a variety of reasons. I commented on a story a while ago suggesting the apparition someone saw of their father could have been a residual haunting.

It could also be the case that non-human entities mimic family members to either not frighten whoever sees them, or to make them comfortable so the entity can put down deeper roots.

The strange thing about the one I saw was, when I thought about it, I realized it looked like my father from about ten years before. We hadn't lived in the house for ten years at that point, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
whoa...I dunno, I have read lots of accounts recently of people seeing what looks like their family member in the home when its not. That is frightening. Just think. How many times have we seen these spectors and not known it? Gives me the creeps.

Thanks for sharing! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: