You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Whimsy House

Real Ghost Stories

The Whimsy House

 

Thank you all for reading my previous story. These happenings took place at The Whimsy House in Pentwater, Michigan.

In July 2006 my family and I were renting an old 2 story Victorian house for a week in the village of Pentwater on the western coast of Michigan. The village was an old lumber producing town. In it's hay day Pentwater had 3 or 4 lumber mills and was one of the number 1 providers of lumber for the rebuilding of Chicago after the Great Fire. The house sits atop a hill on the south side of town over looking Pentwater Lake.

Upon arrival, we all found our rooms and disposed of our luggage, then headed down and out to the front porch. While sitting on the porch talking and carrying on we heard a static noise coming from my parent's room. We all looked at each other with that look. You all know the look I'm talking about. Well it was decided that I be the one to go and find out what it was. In the house and up the stairs I went. As I rounded the corner and entered their room I was amazed to find out it was the tv was on, so I walked up to it and pushed the KNOB in and turned it off.

Once back out side. I told everyone that it was the tv. Not 2 seconds after I told them, we heard the noise again. This time my wife and I decided to go up and turn it off. Done! We headed back to the porch. Yet again the tv went back on. My older brother being a believer but not wanting to believe went with me to turn off the tv... This time we unplugged it. No power, no noise. We made it half way down the stairs and the tv came back on. This really scared me. I have never seen two 6 foot 6 inch men move so FAST.

That night before going to bed my father moved the tv to the closet.

My room was located in the back of the house facing the woods. The bed was positioned in the room so you could look out the door see down the hallway and the top of the stairs. I woke up some time during the night sweating. Mind you it was the summer, but it wasn't hot or humid. Nice cool Lake Michigan breeze blowing. As I lay there, I kept hearing the sounds of people talking and the sound of saws in the woods. It kept me up for the better part of 3 hours. It happened every night we were there.

Nothing crazy happened for the rest of the time we were there. Until the last night, we were all out back sitting around the fire pit relaxing and talking about how much fun we had had on our trip. It was around 7:30pm. When the light in my room came on. We all saw this and couldn't believe what we were seeing. My brother and I said, 1,2,3 NOT IT. My father decided he would go and turn out the light. He came back down and said, "I didn't know the light switch in that room was the old pull cord type switch".

That was the first and last time I ever had to stay in the house. Since then my father has had a home built up there. Every time I drive by that house I still get the heebie jeebies.

Well that's all I have for now. If you ever find yourself in Pentwater, Michigan stay in The Whimsy House.

Other hauntings by AndrewZ

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndrewZ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MsDMAC (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
I just stayed at the Whimsy House last week. Nothing to note, seems like they have modernized the electrical, we got no lights turning on or TVs. I did feel a presence one time in the upstairs bedroom to the left of the washroom. Beautiful home and property. The giant oak tree at the foot of the property was amazing.
jerboy (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-20)
It was the same room - the one on the right as you're going up the stairs! And forget about the basement - I never got the courage to even open that door.
AndrewZ (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
at Jerboy. Which room was it? Was it the one to the right or left of the stairs? Cause the room on the right is where the light came on all by it's self. Did you ever go into the basement/ cellar past the kitchen and bathroom?
jerboy (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-08)
I too stayed at the Whimsy house and had a weird experience. I'm getting goose bumps typing this! I was in the house alone in the middle of the day getting a change of clothes for the beach. I was passing the room at the top of the stairs and for some reason was compelled to step in and look around.
It FELT like something was there. I noticed the curtains/shears were being sucked out against the screen even though there was no wind. It was then I CLEARLY saw a face formed from the shadow and light of the shear, kind of like one of those greek tragedy faces. The shear remained sucked against the screen for what must have been more than 60 seconds while I was in the room. Funny thing is it wasn't scary. I nervously said hello and went down the stairs. EVERY other time that week I passed the room, the curtain never once was near the screen. Sounds hokey but what a freaky feeling being alone in that house!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-03)
Ohhhhh, to have a tv plugged in turn on and off by itself is bad enough, but to have an unplugged one turn on... No speculation needed, its 100 percent paranormal and that would be totally un -nerving!

Thanks for sharing! ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
I just read both of your stories. It must have felt weird to experience what you did. Did your wife experience anything in your room while on vacation?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
interesting story again AndrewZ
Some where to stay if I ever get to your side of the pond 😊
Again enjoyable read keep them comming
Carl
johntravis28 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
I would love to stay in the Whimsy house. Thanks for recommendation! Very creepy goins on. Good story:)
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
Thanks for sharing your story! It was an excellent one. It's amazing how some of the most minor things can be the scariest. The TV thing would have REALLY freaked me out... Did you guys check and see if it had a place for batteries, just in case?
asad123 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
Nice and Interesting Story you have there AndrewZ! 😁 😁 😁 //////Asad

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: