You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Haunting At My Nan's

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting At My Nan's

 

I've always been a lover of ghost's and hauntings and have had a few experiences with them myself, but the story I'm about to tell you has got to be the scariest experience I've had yet.

My friend Kirsty and I were at my nan's house while she was out at a friends and we decided to watch The Grudge. We were sat in the living room having a laugh and being frightened by the film when we heard a slight bang in the kitchen, we thought nothing of it at first and said it was probably our imaginations running away with us because of the film. We were so wrong.

Just a few minutes later we again heard the bang so this time went into the kitchen to investigate. Everything was as it were before and we were a little freaked out but again we shook it off. As we carried on watching the film, Kirsty heard slight knocking sound coming from the wall next to her. She asked me whether I could hear them but I couldn't and thought she was trying to scare me.

We decided to turn the film off as we were getting quite frightened when we again heard a bang in the kitchen. We went in and a magnet which had my name on was on the floor. We were quite startled by this so I put the magnet back on the fridge and we went back to watch some TV. Just seconds after we had sat down again we heard the same bang and as before we went in to find the same magnet on the floor. At this point I began to become quite frightened as there were two other magnets on the fridge with my sisters name and my cousins name on them. Why did mine keep coming off?

This happened another three times when I had finally had enough. The third time I went in alone and cursed whatever was making this happen. I then felt really cold and saw a dark shadow dart past me. As I began to run into the living room where my friend was the magnet fell off again but with a louder bang.

We had had enough and decided to go to my friends house. As we arrived there we saw my nan coming out of her friends house and we went over to tell her about the magnet not mentioning the knocking on the wall next to my friend. My nan told us that she believed her house is being haunted as she had a few experiences. My nan's friend then turned around a asked whether we heard knocking on the wall, My friend told them that she did but I didn't.

I don't like being in my nan's house on my own at night any more so I try to avoid it. Could you please try and help me figure out why my name only fell off?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kenco16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sparkles (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
maybe it was trying to contact you because it takes a lot of energy to even try to become an apirition. What I know to be true is that ghost use magnets for energy to try to contact people like my experience. It doesn't really seem out of the ordinary but if a ghost is becoming an apirition they must have something that is bothering them. Be on edge whenever you go to your grandmas though.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Kenco16,
To tell you the truth, different magnets have different magnetic strengths. Sometimes a very small magnet can be very powerful, others not so much. A lot depends on their application. Magnets used in stereo equipment tend to be very powerful, where as magnets used for kitchen items may not. So the magnet with your name on it was most likely your everyday, less powerful kind. That's all, nothing paranormal about it really at all.

Jav
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Wow. What a strange thing to happen - and while you were watching The Grudge too *shivers down spine* But I don't feel this was a particularly negative occurance. The horror movie may have caused the sense of negativity more so than the banging and the magnet falling on the floor. I find these sorts of encounters very facinating. Thank you for sharing.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
I would have to vote on the "not a demon" side, and position myself on the "you were probably just scared" way of thinking. Being already scared may have played a huge part in the events taking place that night. If it was something paranormal, it was very likely not a demon, since no harm came to you. But I agree that some debunking would need to take place in order to confirm the presence of anything paranormal.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
I think that paranormal experiences can run close to our feelings and frame of mind that we go through at the time. You were both watching a scary film which in a way can amplify how you feel about the paranormal experience, it puts you in a certain frame of mind making you more vulnerable. I wouldn't say it sounds like a particularly negative being more so a neutral average ghost.

Why did your name come off? Because you was the person there at that moment in time. You was the reference point. If your friend's had been up there too then their's may have been knocked off as well. To me perhaps the activity got stronger and more aggressive because the spirit could have seen you as disrespecting it etc when you cursed at it. Spirits were living once as well.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
Just curious... After the magnet fell on it's own several times, you cursed whatever was causing this...
Not sure why you would have "cursed" this strange event. I understand you were scared... But should also have been intrigued, looking to first debunk the episode.
cross_angel87 (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-02)
[at] stickman1122

Thumbs up on that one 😁

Whatever you do, DO NOT use an ouija board.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
like this one kenco16 😊
Like badjuujuu said you were being played with!
What or who ever is in your grannys house saw 2 girls watching a scary movie, laughing at how scared they were and decided to have a laugh at your expence.

Next time you go to your grans tell it you enjoyed its little joke and hope it had a good laugh too,
Dont let it know it frightened you too much 😉
Carl

Oh and what's with the demons? How is a fridge magnet falling off a fridge demonic? I mean please come on!
Be real!?! No way was this demonic
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
BadJuuJuu has a point there. I don't you and your friend would have been half as scared if you were watching the movie. Knowledge is power so find out about the house and if anything happened there to cause a haunting.

When things go bump in the night, it's not always something bad like a demon.
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
Hi Kenco16 and welcome to Y.G.S. Have you had a loved one die recently? Maybe they were trying to contact you to tell you they were ok! Whatever the reason it does seem the episode was centered around you. There could of been a simpler explanation for it and that is the spot where your fridge magnet sat may of had some kind of substance on it or the fridge to stop it from magnetising properly and the very slightest vibration could have loosened it! But in no way shape or form do I disbelieve your story at all, just trying to help you with an explanation. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
If some paranormal force was making the magnet with your name fall, it was doing so simply because you were the one there. What better way to get someone's attention than to basically call your name? I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Talk to your grandmother about the things she's experienced. Share your stories, and research hauntings in general. Nothing helps conquer fear like knowledge. Chances are good the entity in your grandmother's house just saw a good chance for mischief in two kids that were already scared by a movie. Not evil, not a demon, just a run of the mill ghost having a laugh.
Ask yourself, and be honest, would this have frightened you anywhere near as bad if you hadn't been watching The Grudge? Sometimes it's not the event itself that's scary, sometimes things just happen when we're not in a frame of mind to be objective about it.

This comment from stickman1122 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: