You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Garage

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Garage

 

This is just something that was happening in a place I used to work in. I've no queries about the goings on I just thought I'd share it with you.

I use to work in a garage or filling station some may call it back in 2006 for 6 months. It was owned by a well known family in my village and has been there since before WW2. They were an extremely nice family and the ownership had been past through the generations of the O'Reilly. It was basically a massive house with a grocery shop in the big living room and petrol pumps outside the front. I was 17 when I started to work there so all I worried about back then was what alcohol I would buy with the money I had made to drink down the lake with my friends. It was probably the best time of my teenage years.

The ownership of the garage was being transferred about 3 weeks after I started to work there because the family had made the brave decision to sell up and with the money get IVF treatment. Which later proved unsuccessful,unfortunately.

The other women who I used to work with always stated the house was haunted by Mrs.O'Reilly. The store room was extremely creepy but I never looked out for things even though my work mates would tell me to watch out for objects being moved and sounds of her voice. I never did, I just wanted the day to end so I could do what I pleased. Every morning religiously I or one of my work mates would find a pan of bread in the middle of the floor. They said this was Mrs. O'Reilly but again I just agreed and got on with the day until one Sunday morning myself and Terry (51) were standing yapping behind the tills. The place was empty as per usual on a Sunday morning and our conversation had come to an end. We were both staring straight ahead when "Bang" 2 bags of sugar had been thrown about 7 feet from its stand. My jaw almost hit the floor, I was always two minds about ghosts or spirits but nothing could have caused this. There was no breeze, they were not over stocked and we definitely had no mice or else I would not have been able to work there!

We stood silent with our jaws so wide you could almost catch flies! After what seemed an hour of staring motionless Terry said "I'm not picking them up". We left them lying there for about 20 minutes and I picked them up and discarded them.

The new owners had moved the whole shop into the small living room, closed off the main entrance and made a new side door as they were renovating. The whole 1,200 sq ft of a shop into a 600 sq ft living room. It was crazy, so messy looking no matter how much cleaning or moving and organizing was done, we all hated it and the new owner was extremely ignorant.

It was a normal Friday afternoon and 3 people in the shop looked like the place was packed out so it was packed! The third woman in the queue was paying for her goods. She told us after picking up a pan of bread that she found on the carpet floor and putting it back in place she felt a person grab her wrist tightly and say into her ear very angrily "I don't like Michael or what he is doing to my house" and sure enough nobody was near her.

We told the previous owners as they called in every day. They told us Mrs.O'Reilly had died in her chair in this room some years ago but it had never been touched or any furniture moved until Michael started his renovations. All the bedrooms were turned into little offices and small store rooms. A light constantly stayed on in the hallway no matter how many times we checked wiring, electric or even the switches but it was crucial we had it on anyway to see our way up the stairs in the evening when we were stocking up but it never went out. Maybe it was because the stairway was the only bit of the house that stayed the exact same. I hope Mrs.O'Reilly has since come to like the new owners and accepted the way her once beautiful house has changed.

Other hauntings by Louise21

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Louise21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Monyet (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-08)
I saw a part of a show on Animal Planet during the weekend about a haunting in a house. (Ghost stories in Animal Planet?) The owner said the strange things started happening after she started renovating, and she didn't know the history of the house when she bought it.

So yeah, I think spirits that remain in a place don't like things being changed.

Thank you Louise21
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
Louise21: I liked this story, you know what they say about renovations and spirits. I think she will continue to be a protector of her home even though her original outlay of it may have changed I get the feeling she will stay make her presence felt. Hopefully she finds peace. 😊

Thanks for the story

Dan
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
What a very interest story you write and O'Reilly sound like a Irish Of course I am irish and I don't blame the lady who died in that room I would have know a living will change my room if I was her yes...
Louise21 (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Thank you for your positive comments on this experience.
Eclipse2000,darling,what are you confused about?

JustCurious, it is still in operation but I very rarely go in I live in a village 10 miles from it.

ILee, thank you! 😉 And I don't really visit because of a lot of new staff, its out of my way and way too expensive for petrol!

Taz890, I didn't know that fact thank you for sharing. ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
quick bit of usless information 😊
The irish believe that leaving bread out is protection from fairys, they are not all sweet little flying fairys but will steal babys and young children and some old people too and leave a changling behind in its place.

Thus the plate of bread~protecting the family home.
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
ILee yup that helps a lot thank you
So she was not happy with the rennovations because she died there and my guess is she was upset to see it and that's why she puts bread
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
great story 😁
Like the thought of mrs o'reilly telling the customer about how she was not happy with the changes!

Somehow I doubt she will have changed her mind!
Bet the new owners are still having her show her annoyance 😆
Thanks for sharing
Carl
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Nathan,

"It was basically a massive house with a grocery shop in the big living room and petrol pumps outside the front."

"They told us Mrs.O'Reilly had died in her chair in this room some years ago but it had never been touched or any furniture moved until Michael started his renovations."

Hope this helps with the confusion 😁
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
i don't understand 1 thing
This Mrs O'Riley that died did she die in the shop or die in a chair in her home? Also is the shop like a house and shop (house on 1 floor shop on other)
Anyway very interesting story
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
I don't get it... I'm confused about the entire story!
❤ ❤ 😆 ~~Eclipse2000
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
They do say, and I have read also, that renovations can even stir up ghostly activity. You know if that Garage is still there and if its still operational?
And if so do you know if she is still actively haunting there?

Peace
JustCurious
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Thanks for sharing, very interesting story!

From other stories that I've read, spirits that still reside in the buildings that they haunt, don't really chaanges. And they will not have a problem letting you know that either. Looks like Mrs. O'Reilly hated the changes!Yea, hopefully she has come to accept.

Do you still visit the place from time to time or keep in contact with the previous owners?
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Nice! Take that, new owner. Spirits tend to get riled up during rennovations. I'm glad Mrs. O'Reilly is sticking up for her place. I liked your story, simple, well written, pretty believable. Good job.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: