You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: I Felt Paralysed

Real Ghost Stories

I Felt Paralysed

 

It happened while training to be an Infantryman in the army around January 1976, I can still hear ABBA on my little transistor radio now! We had been on a two day exercise somewhere up in Staffordshire, England, the name and place escapes me as it was over thirty years ago now.

My mates had been in for a shower and gone to NAFFI, after having a shower myself I was feeling really tired so thought I would lay on my bunk with the pillow just resting on my forehead, and I was so exhausted it wasn't long before I dropped off to sleep.

I awoke with a humming like noise with words I couldn't really understand, maybe they weren't words at all just deafening silence if you know what I mean. Also I had this tremendous pressure pressing down on my body, but mostly around the chest area. No matter how I tried to position myself I couldn't move, (I FELT PARALYSED), couldn't even twitch my little finger.

I remember feeling if I really tried hard enough I might be able to fly, and then I felt myself sliding down the bed very slowly but also very surely, it was as though my bed was being tipped up on end but it wasn't, it was flat on the floor.

What seemed like at least half an hour was probably only a few minutes when finally I could move again and boy I moved like superman in a flash I was gone, ran down the hall and out of the building.

It was the most scary thing I have ever experienced in my life, and it was like the hands of a person only there was no person there. Having an experience like that made me feel like I didn't want to be alone so I decided to go down the NAFFI with the other lads. On the way down there I saw a 4 ton lorry that had ploughed into a wall and ricocheted onto the path I was walking on, so there was a bit of a detour to the NAFFI.

Never thought anything about it at the time but years later I was chatting to my Dad and he suggested the experience I had on my bunk years earlier could have been my Aunty Tanny SEE: (MY COMFORTING FRIEND) delaying me from the danger of the 4 ton Lorry!

Just like paranormal experiences I had experienced before I became very frightened at the time, just wish there was an explanation for these occurrences. I have read about people having similar experiences but never finding an explanation which has left me like them very frustrated. Perhaps one day it will all be explained, who Knows!

Other hauntings by nighthawkman

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nighthawkman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
DeviousAngel, thanks so much for that, just in your few short words I feel satisfied and at peace now. THANKS! ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
nighthawkman: I won't necessarily discount your entire post here by saying that it was 100% SP. Many people have experienced songs, voices, touches and visual apparitions while paralyzed by SP. I think it's possible that because we are in the "between" state--half in the waking world and half out, so to speak--it thins the "veil" between our worlds and attracts spirits to us. I think that may be why so many people have experiences during an episode. So you very well may have been in the presence of a spirit, I don't know for sure... But it's best, if nothing else, to find out what the causes of SP are so that you can prevent them in the future. Best of luck mate ❤
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
It was just astral projection. Usually, your spirit is back in your body by the time you wake up, but sometimes, when people wake up, they can't move. It's to prevent the person from injuring themselves from panic, or so I've been told.
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Hi DeviousAngel, I know it sounds crazy but I have never looked this condition up because I didn't know it existed, and except for close family haven't even talked about it before.
In all the years I have lived with this experience I have always believed it to be 100% of paranormal origin but now on reading the link you sent me I have my doubts.

I can relate to most of it right down to the bad migraines I used to get.
There is one strong point though and that is I am so sure someone or something was trying to communicate to me, just a feeling I had at the time.
Anyway, thank-you for the link DeviousAngel 😊

And thanks for your comment too taz 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
This sounds exactly like a classic case of sleep paralysis, right along with the humming noise, and the feeling of being pulled or dragged down your bed.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I have read about this a lot lately. I do think it was very fortunate that you missed any damage from the incident, though. And thank you for your service, too. 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
nighthawkman to start I will tell you I normally stear clear of these type of stories as I have no idea what its like but I had the "urge" to read yours.

Im glad I did! I really enjoyed this story
(except the abba refrence, won't go there lol)

I can't comment with any kind of help or advice as I say no experiance but will say thank you for adding an interesting post 😁

Carl

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: