You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Hitchhiker

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Hitchhiker

 

I live in northern Christchurch, in the suburb of Belfast. In Belfast, there is an old house and property on Main North Road named the Kapuatohe Historical Reserve. Whenever I drive past this place, either by myself, or with friends or family, I always get a small chill. Since I was a small boy (18 now) I've always suspected the house was haunted. My experience around two months ago has almost made me certain.

It was around 1.30am on a Saturday morning, and I was making my way home from a party at which I was the sober driver. I had dropped off my mates and was ready to make my way into the loving arms of my bed. As I was driving north, towards the house, I thought I could make out the figure of a person standing at the side of the road, and what looked like a back-pack at their feet. A hitch-hiker? At 1.30 in the morning? It sounded ridiculous as I said it out loud to myself. But as I got closer to the house, the hitch-hiker clearly wasn't a figment of my imagination.

Curiously, although I could see the hitch-hiker quite clearly now, she - the person was female in appearance - was seemingly faceless. By now I was a little freaked out, but I wasn't about to stop the car. As I passed the hitch-hiker, she turned to face my car, and I felt myself going cold all over. Her face was anything but ordinary. Imagine an old leather volleyball that had had a rough going over from some vigourous high school students. I wrenched my eyes away from the hitch-hiker, who by now - in my eyes - was almost definitely a ghost, an apparition, whatever you want to call it. I punched the accelerator for the next half a kilometer, keen to put as much distance between myself and what I had just seen as possible.

As I pulled up the driveway at home, I felt a wave of relief wash over me. I told some of my family about the episode. My uncle then told me of a story set about 10 years ago, in which a young woman was killed while hitch-hiking either from or at the historical building in Belfast. This, in my mind, is the same woman that I saw on my late night drive around two months ago.

Since that night, everytime I've driven past, I've looked for the mysterious woman, but I haven't seen her since.

P.S. I am new here:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Isaac-W-Nation, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-19)
i live in kaiapoi and that reserve always gives me the chills everytime I bus past it to get to work in northwood always at 5pm-530pm

Where abouts were you driving home from? From waimak way or otherway
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
Issac-W-Nation again welcome and enjoy!

I liked this story, as javelina said not your usual hitchhiker story for one you did not stop!

Hope to hear more if you got them 😁
Carl
Oh faved it too 😊
Isaac-W-Nation (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
Javelina: The woman actually disappeared when I looked in the rear view mirror! I sort of couldn't help myself looking back:P

Zzsgranny: Yeah, I agree, and I try to put it out of my mind, so that I might see her again someday, but I think that's a issue of time, and it will take me a while to forget that night I think.

Thanks to all for your responses.:)
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
I hear Hitch hiker story alots I always like to hear that story even on other sites on that it really good story on here too thanks for the story and I like it.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-11)
Isaac: Great story 😊 I think though, if you're looking for her you're not going to get even a glimpse, but when your mind is wandering, or thinking something else completely, that's when she'll pop up again... Welcome to the site, and I hope to hear more from you, and thanks for posting!

Chantelle: Welcome back! ❤
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-11)
Hi fellow kiwi:) gosh I haven't posted on here in such a long time, but this stuff sucks me in everytime. Spooky experience bud! Your instincts are usually always right and this surely proves it, Funny how these things only happen once... I spose once is enough aye:P
Safe travels ❤
aiafaith1 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-11)
Welcome, as Javelina said. 😆 Your story was so interesting! It is such a good story, it's going on my favorites list. I'd like to hear more of your experiences, if any. Thanks for sharing.

AF1 ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-11)
W-Nation,
Welcome to YGS! And you brought an actual ghost story with you! Come on in and make yourself at home, the furnishings are spare and the walls could use some paint, but other than that it's a nice place to hang out.
I love your story, and I totally believe it happened just the way you explained it. What really did it for me is that you didn't go the next obvious step in the hitch-hiker story genre that usually sends up a red flag for me, and that is having it show up in the rear view mirror, sitting in your back seat.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I hope to hear more of them.

Javelina

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: