You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: A Scary Moment

Real Ghost Stories

A Scary Moment

 

In our Hmong Culture we believe in sprits and lost souls that don't want to leave. I have heard so many stories about people experiencing a lot of weird stuff, but as for myself I haven't really experienced anything; Well that's before I met my husband.

It all started when we were still dating. He was a Catholic and I was a shaman at that time. We had a long distance relationship, we both live in different towns. It takes three hours (close to four) from his town to my town, even though he still comes every weekend to see me. He would come on Friday night and leave on Sunday afternoon. On this Thursday night he decided to come and surprise me, and oh he did. He usually doesn't come on the weekdays due to work.

It was around 7 pm when he arrived. He was going to stay with me until midnight. Since he worked 7 in the morning he wanted to get back home and try to get at least one hour of sleep before going to work. On that night we both were laying on the floor watching a movie together, soon it was getting close to midnight so I decided to get something ready for him to eat before he leaves because I didn't want him to stop anywhere to get food, since it was late.

From the kitchen I could see him still lying in the living room floor on his back. He was facing the ceilings with his eyes closed. I walked over and crawled on top of him and kissed him on his lips and his neck then went back to the kitchen. I kept on doing that to him and each time when I went over to kiss him he always opened his eyes and looked at me then closed them again.

After I was done with everything, I walked over to him and sat next to him. He looked like he was sleeping, I continued staring at him, but then I noticed his eyes were not fully closed and it looked like he was looking at me. I continued to sit there and stare at him. Then his eyes started moving from side to side, but still I continued to stare at him. Looks like he was staring at me and then all a sudden he said "help me" in a very soft and weak voice, sounds like he couldn't breath.

I got scared and slapped him in the face, he jumped up as fast as he can and started swearing and swinging his fist in the air. He was breathing so hard and was trying to catch his breath. Finally when he had calmed down I asked him what was all that about and the eye thing. He asks me why I didn't wake him. I said "how was I supposed to know you wanted me to wake you" and he said "I was giving you signals with my eyes" so I said "what the hell just happened? I'm confused and don't understand anything you're saying".

He told me, when I came and kissed him, he knew it was me because he opened his eyes and saw me. After I continued doing that, he knew it was me, but then the last one when he thought it was me and opened his eyes, instead he sees me sitting next to him staring at him. It still feels like someone was still on top of him even though he sees nothing he can feel a heavy weight on him. He can still feel someone nibbling on his lips and neck. He tries so hard to move but he couldn't, so he tries to signal me with his eyes, but I didn't get it. He tries so hard and finally could say help me.

I got really scared when he told me. Right there I felt weird, my arms and neck had goose bumps all over. I felt as if my soul had left my body. We decided to leave and go to my mom's house. Standing outside looking at my apartment, it felt like someone was still in there. This was the first time I had felt this way about my place. All of a sudden somehow I started feeling really sad feeling like someone had come and took over my home.

When we got to my mom's house we told her what happen, but like every Hmong parents she said it's nothing just don't think so much of it. It was way past midnight so soon after that he kisses me goodbye and left for home.

Every since that day I was scared to go home. I stayed with my mom for almost a month. In the day time I would take my mom and go over to my apartment to get the things I need. I was starting to feel home sick so then one day I decided to go home and see what was going to happen. I packed all my stuff and went home.

When I walked into my apartment, I stood by the door and looked around. Everything seems normal, I didn't have that feeling of being scared, and I just felt like I was home. I unpacked my stuff and turned on the TV and sat on my couch. I didn't feel weird at all or is it because I miss my home too much. So then everything was okay again. I was not scared anymore and just thought of it as it was just a bed dream, but it's weird how every time when my husband comes over, he always tells me that he feels like we are not the only ones in my apartment.

I was starting to get angry when he tells me that, because I don't feel anything. We would go and stay at my mom's house when he comes over instead since he kept feeling like that.

A couple of days after I talked to some of my friends about it and they said maybe it's because he's a Catholic and I'm a shaman and as a shaman we believe in ghosts and other weird stuff. Maybe the ghosts around me doesn't like him because he was a Catholic and they were trying to scare him, but not me because I'm a shaman.

Now that we are married, it's weird how once in a while it still happens to him. Every night when we go to sleep I always have to make sure my feet are close to his feet in case it happens.

When it happens he can't move his body, but somehow he can still move his feet so with his feet by mine, I can feel when he moves it. It would wake me up and I would wake him. He always wakes up to a very heavy breathing when it happens. It's also weird how everything is so different from how it supposed to be and believe. In my culture we believe that mostly the shaman people experience stuff like this and not Catholic because due to being baptized, ghosts cannot get close to them.

Even though my husband's experienced so many things like these, he still doesn't believe in it. I haven't experience any, but I believe it, some of it. I guess I will never understand all this culture believes.

Other hauntings by maiv

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, maiv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

maiv (4 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
Thank you everyone for reading my story, and for all the good tips you gave me, they were very helpfull. As I said in my other story (My Husband's Ghost Experince) that I haven't really experince anything, but I did remember this one time something weird did happen to me. It was long ago but I'm not sure if it was real or not, I don't know if I should believe it or not but I will post it up soon and share it with you guys, it would be great to get some tips back... Be sure to check it out. Thanks again! 😊
maiv (4 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
taz890
WOW! Really? Don't that just freek you out? Sometime it makes you think they are in some kind of trouble?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
this sounds like sp.
My sister would do exactly the same thing, she would sleep with her eyes slightly open and we could see them move while she was dreaming (rem) but the odd time any of us went over to close her eyes (its too freeky to see them like that) she would speak to us!

Usually tell us to go away (but not so nicely) and would tell us she saw us in her dreams.

Personaly I don't thing there is anything to worry about on a paranormal side of things but you might want to get a doctor to check your husband out, heavy deep breathing during sleep could be the sign of a small problem, a friend at work had the same kind of thing happen to him and it turned out he had very mild asthma and sleeping on his back was causing the problem breathing.

Just a thought to look into
Carl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
maiv,
I don't mind the spelling, you are doing just fine. I am happy that you made it back though. It is always nice to hear about what happens after you leave.
Yes, sleep paralysis was our guess also. And now that you are watching his sleep patterns and working hours you sound like a professional. 😉
I understand what shaman means in your culture and spiritual upbringing. Jesuis88 explained it. I find it fascinating that the word used in American Indian culture is also used in yours. Even if they mean something different, they are near in the spiritual sense. But for the two sets of people who use the same word to be so far apart in distance from each other is something I find very interesting.
Thank you for sharing your story maiv. It helps others that may have similar problems when they see you came back with an answer.

Peace,
Jav 😊
maiv (4 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
Javelina
sorry for the spelling of your name, I miss spell it. Thank you for reading my story.
maiv (4 stories) (6 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
hello Jessuis88 and Javeling, sorry for not responding back, I hardly come here, this is the first time ever since I post my story. As for me, I don't really know what to believe when I comes to thing like this, sometimes I do, but sometimes I just dont. I am now a Cathlic due to being marreid to my husband, but before... I don't know if we're suppose to be call shaman because we're not Cathlic or Christen, but I do not perform shaman rituals... We just believe in that way, but after doing a lot of research I now believe that this is due to sleep paralysis. Now I pay close attention to my husband, I notice when he works over time and sleeps late, it only happens, I guess its because he's not getting a lot of sleep, but thank you all for the comments.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-07-10)
jesuis88,
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I would like to email you and learn more about your culture. I have volunteered for many years with Viet Nam Veterans, who hold your people in the highest regard, close to reverence I'd say.
Thank you again,
Javelina
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-10)
Javelina, there are no other words I could find in this post which could cause confusion. However, I do want to expand one phrase, found in the fourth to last paragraph: when Maiv mentions that [Hmong shaman] believe in ghosts and maybe the ghosts around her don't like her husband because of his religion, she probably means our belief that ancestral spirits watch over us and our family and homes.

Quick history lesson, sorry: The Hmong are traditionally and historically Shaman, with a mix of other 'Asian' beliefs, such as reincarnation, animalism and Buddha reverence. The extended family unit is the basis of our culture and spirits of the deceased must be honored in return for their protection. Because of the colonization of Indochina and the Vietnam War, missionaries converted tribes and families of various minorities there. Most Hmong, especially the older generations, see this conversion as a taboo because they believe the converted are abandoning their lineage, therefore the culture. Most Shaman Hmongs do not consider Christian Hmongs to be true Hmong and believe mixing the two through marriage can cause numerous spiritual imbalance and disturbances.

I hope this give you a bit more insight. If you'd like to learn more, email me through my profile. I'm sure we can exchange a lot of cultural information.

Thanks
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
jesuis88,
Thank you! This is something I never knew before now. And it's these seemingly small differences that can make a world of difference in how others respond to the story as a whole. I am not as familiar with Hmong culture as I am with Native American culture.
Reading through the comments now, I can understand why the author may have decided to remain silent. However, because the author and yourself both live in the United States this cannot be the first time you've come across this confusion in the semantics of the word 'shaman'.
This would make a good teaching moment if you are willing. Are there any other words from the Hmong culture that cause this semantic confusion to occur here?

Thank you,
Javelina
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
Since maiv isn't responding, I wanted to point one thing out:

Colloquially, us Hmong-Americans who practice shamanism (as opposed to other religions) refer to ourselves as shaman. She is not saying she was a person who performed shaman rituals and thus has knowledge of the paranormal, spiritual realm.

Ie. I am shaman. Are they shaman? He is Christian and they are Muslim.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
maiv, first off I may agree with a few others that his orginial episode may have been SP. Being overly tired can lead to episodes of this (my hubby used to suffer them all the time but started getting more sleep and they have mostly stopped). Even now, if they are occuring it may be he has an underlying issue such as exhaustion or maybe even sleep apeana. He may want to visit his doctor for a check up. If he clears the doctor, then I would consider a paranormal cause. As a shaman or a practioner, you should have some knowledge in how to "treat" whatever may visiting your husband, how to clear away unwelcome spirits or find out why this enity is bothering him. If his belief doesn't allow for him to accept what is happening, yours most definatly should. Try to see what is bothering him, clear it away, help it or demand it leave. As much as the other will suggest turning to "GOD" if he is not the one you put your faith in, it won't help you (although it may help hubby, but only if he consides to believing in it). Good luck and fast travels.
Babylyonhang08 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
my mother had the same experience. She went with my dad (he is hmong) and his family to Florida to visit family members. She saw images and freaked out... Long story I will write though when I get the chance. But on the day that she saw those images she felt like someone was holding her down. 😢
Doctor-Who (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
maiv,

You are a shaman or you believe the shaman ways? If you are a shaman, you should be able to know what's going and rid of it.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
PrincessLotus, You are correct. The Lord will bless you and keep you safe if you believe in him and are a Christian. He does not like "luke warms" it's either hot or cold but not both or in between!

Maiv, I have heard similar incidents such as the one your husband had and they tend to say it's due to sleep paralysis.
obsessed14 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
I'm not Catholic, I'm baptist...but...I would put holy water around the place. AND get a priest.
oliviaandjordan (2 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
It might be an incubus. I am a christen and believe that you should have god bless your home. Also have a priest speed holy water around your home or room. 😳hope it works. I know how frusterating it must be.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
Most folks have the sad miscoception that if you get a priest, pastor, minister or what ever to bless the house in Jesus name than thing will be fine. But Jesus isn't going to dwell in a house & bless it if He isn't asked to every day. The people must be filled with the Holy Spirit & walk with the Lord the best they can. You have to be a believer. I know many are going to throw a fit & disagree, that's fine I'm so used to it. It's almost like getting a lap band opperation but still stuffing your face all the time. If you don't continue to eat healthy & take care of your self you're going to get fat again. It's pointless. I'm not saying it never works to bless a house of non-believers at all. But most of the time things come back after a while. God does let things happen to us that are scary so we would be drawn closer to Him. I will happily answer any questions anyone has about this. But I'm stepping off my preacher soap box now. LOL! I hate to talk Jesus to people who don't want it.

~LSD~
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
He was having sleep paralysis. When I get that sometimes I am able to moan loud enough for my husband to reach over and shake me fully awake. He was having SP because he was overly tired and not getting enough sleep. Which was morn than likely caused by his four hour drive back and forth.

THere is nothing paranormal about this experience and there is nothing to be afraid of. Just noraml SP
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
Hey Maiv,

As I am Hmong too, I can understand where you are coming from and your fears. I only want to suggest that you note down these events and see if it follows any schedule or can be related to an outside source. What I mean is that it is possible he may just be having sleep paralysis, where his body is in a state of sleep and his eyes somehow open, then his brain will start processing the images and he may feel like something is holding him down.

I hope you guys the best of luck. You always have the hu plig option (although he may object) or have a local Catholic priest come bless the house (if you don't object).
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
Spirits can get close to & attack anyone. I grew up a pastors daughter & am ordained now. Thigs have happened to me my whole life. Don't ever underestimate the power of spirits.

~LSD~

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: