You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: One Last Laugh

Real Ghost Stories

One Last Laugh

 

My uncle Steve passed away on May 27, 2011. I won't go into details about his death, because I'm still reeling over it. He was in a coma for four days before my aunt asked the doctors to remove life support. And I did have the opportunity to be there with my aunt and their best friends at his side when they removed the breathing tube. Because we all had the opportunity to tell him how much we loved him, I felt at peace with his death. Before I left the hospital, I told him I loved him with all of my heart and that it was okay if he wanted to go on, because he had a daughter waiting on him and my grandparents wanted him to be with them. I kissed his cheek and ran out of the room crying.

I felt Steve's presence the day after he passed away. I was running on 30 minutes of sleep that day and had been to South Carolina to check on my aunt (she and Steve lived in Greenville.) I came home and passed completely out. Several hours later, I was semi-conscious enough to see someone come into my room. I thought it was my mom or one of my boys. Then I felt someone kiss my cheek. I asked them about it later, and they swore it wasn't them.

We had his "celebration of life" service this past Saturday. One speaker got up and talked about my other uncle, Johnny, who is a preacher. The speaker was a retired preacher himself and kind of senile. He talked about Johnny like it was his memorial service. It was pretty hilarious considering it was not his memorial service!

I got a terrible headache at that moment. I looked over at my aunt and she was also rubbing her temples. I really didn't put two and two together at that time.

When I got home, I mentioned to my mom that I only get "those" types of headaches when spirits are around. I wondered if perhaps my uncle came to his own memorial service.

Tonight, my mom was talking to my aunt about the service. My aunt told her something extraordinary. She said that when her brother and sister-in-law were driving her back home, her sister-in-law told her when the old, senile preacher was talking, Steve was behind him smiling and laughing. He was also shaking his head like he couldn't believe that old man was up there talking nonsense. She said that he had a glow, which to me means he had crossed over.

Steve came to his own memorial service and had a chuckle. I hope he saw how much people really loved him.

Other hauntings by MunstersBabe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MunstersBabe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vanessax1995 (19 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
My mother visited me after she passed, I was only thirteen and it was a terrible age to lose a parent. At the funeral I was Infront of the window, it was a cloudy, kind of crap day out and I stood Infront of the window at the service, a big church like window floor to ceiling and the big black storm clouds cleared for a moment and l parted and the sun was beautiful and shined in directly on me, everybody kind of stared in awe. Also while I was camping with her side of the family kind of as a post family get together, there was a big fight with my aunt as we were all fighting about where I would live at the time, as I went with my father who I was close with but he had issues and mom's side of the family didn't want me with him, so I'm screaming at them and called my dad to pick me up- as I'm in the tent crying and angry and hurt I smell her clinique happy perfume she would always wear, and physically felt somebody lay next to me in the tent rubbing my head. I knew it was her as I felt so calm and just could tell by my feelings toward her and the scent it was her ❤
AnimalAngels (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
i'm so sorry for you loss and I know the pain of losing a loved one 😭. I'm very glad that Steve and you are at peace.

❤,
AA
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Indeed he is, Raffy786.

Thanks to all of you who commented.

My aunt is about to start her chemotherapy in a few weeks. She just found out she is allergic to the wrap she had on to cover her mastectomy wounds and the doctors are wanting her to let those heal before they give her chemo.

I told Steve out loud that he needs to be with her as she goes through this... And I'm pretty sure he's there for support... However supportive spirits can be to their loved ones. ❤
Raffy786 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
What a lovely sweet real life story.
Steve is in a much much better place!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
MunstersBabe, thanks for sharing this sad but beautiful story with us. I'm very sorry for your lost. I worked in ICU. When a patient suffers on a respirator and there is no hope I also agree to shut down the machines and let nature takes its path to let go and let God. Your aunt had to make the most difficult decision in her life, but she did the right thing. Your uncle is happy and without suffering now. I'm glad your aunt saw him laughing because in a way it will give her piece of mind. God bless and take care. Trix. ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry for your loss. I do think that your uncle may have come back to see who all had showed up, and I think part of him smiling/laughing was also because he was so pleased to see so many people honoring him. I wish you and your family the best of luck, and my positive thoughts and energy go out to your aunt throughout her struggle.
lynrinth (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Wow, that must have been pretty awesome to see something like that. It's nice to read a story where a spirit is happy and content. And someone actually saw that! I am sorry for your loss. But at least you know he is fine... With a sense of humor, too!
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Thank you.

I've always heard stories that people come back to their own funerals to see who came to see them.

Personally, I would like to have a celebration of life type service when I'm gone. I don't want people mourning over my dead body. I would want them to remember me how I was.

I wish I could have seen him one last time. But I believe he gave me a kiss on the cheek back and made his presence known through a bad headache lol. Typical of him.
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
A celebration of life ceremony sounds like such a great experience, for the living and those love ones that have passed away. I think I would like to be at mine when my time comes.

MunstersBabe, I'm sorry for you loss and I pray that your aunt has a full recovery. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
MunstersBabe,
I believe he was there to let you all know the he understood, the laughing was just an added bonus. I'm sorry for your loss and to hear about your Aunt's sufferring.

Jav
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
When he was alive, he distanced himself away from the rest of the family. Some call it "middle-child syndrome", but he felt like no one loved or cared about him.

But I bet you he was stunned to see how many people did love and care about him and my aunt when he came back to his own memorial service.

I just hope that he knows now how wrong he was and can go on knowing that we always did love him and will take care of my aunt as she is battling for her own life with breast cancer.

redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
I am sorry for you loss. These are great experiences and I like the idea of having a celebration of life ceramony. I am very happy that he is at peace. Thank you for sharing this with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: