You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Someone Watching Over Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Someone Watching Over Me?

 

This is my first attempt at recollecting the things that I've experienced throughout my life into written form. As I look back on them now and take into consideration the kinds of things I've been reading about on this site, I realize they are benign and maybe a little boring in nature. However, they all happened to me regardless and although I have not experienced much lately, I find myself hoping to.

The first strange occurrence that I can recall happened soon after my grandpa passed away in '99. I was nine years old. My grandpa had fought in WWII and was a quiet and somber man, albeit friendly and even humorous at times with his dry sense of humor. I was pretty fond of him growing up. Sometime after his death, my family unearthed an old Army bomber jacket that had belonged to him. It smelled earthy and I loved to put it on - despite there being a large, somewhat obvious dark red stain across the front. We never really questioned it.

When I was about 14 years old, I had moved into a small apartment with my mother in another city. I loved my grandpa's jacket and respected him so much that I folded it up into a nice suitcase and kept it on a shelf in my closet, still pausing to admire it every now and then. A while after we began living there - I'd say a few months or so - I began hearing strange things during the day when my mother was at work. I'd be home alone just hanging around my bedroom drawing or something and I'd start to hear very, very faint music. There were no radios or televisions on and I could tell that the sound was coming from downstairs as if someone were playing music on a low volume. Once I'd walk out of my room (which was at the top of the stairs) - I wouldn't hear it anymore. Another day I might be playing on our computer in the office across the hall and I'd hear it again! Same type of music (although I could never really hear it well enough to decipher what was being sung or how, etc.) It was just faint, beautiful, instrumental music.

One afternoon my mom had left late for work and, momentarily forgetting she was gone, I ran out of my bedroom to ask her a question. My bedroom was upstairs and the stairs leading to the first floor were flanked by a railing - if you were standing in the middle of the staircase facing down, the kitchen and dining room were *behind* the stairs - so you couldn't see over there unless you came all the way down and turned around to face them. Anyway, I was at the top of the staircase looking through the railing and said, "M-o-o-m!" to get her attention. Immediately thereafter I heard a little girl shout, "Hi!" from the dining room behind the stairs. It struck me then that my mom had left several hours ago and I had been home alone all this time. I froze, turned and dashed up the stairs to my room and locked the door. I know for a fact that I was home alone. All our doors were locked as they always were so there's no way anyone could have gotten in. The girl sounded small, as in under the age of 10. Just a loud, "HI!" Needless to say, it freaked me the **** out.

After that, things really kicked into gear. Once again, I'd be home alone doing something upstairs and pause - I could hear cereal boxes in the kitchen being picked up and shaken! Literally as if someone was just holding them and shaking them to hear the noise. I'd be in mid-walk and then freeze when I heard it - and just stand there until I could muster up the courage to dash to my bedroom and close the door. That happened several times throughout our stay there. One night while in bed I was just frozen in fear for no tangible reason. I liked to sleep with my door open because my mom's room was directly across the hall and she slept with her door open, too so I guess I felt closer to her that way. I'd open my eyes every now and then to check out my surroundings and I began to see what I can only describe as short, dark, human-like forms peeking out from the hallway into the door frame. I couldn't tell if it was just one or if there were more, but that didn't matter at the time. Wtf WAS that?! I shouted for my mom who just mumbled from beneath her covers, "Go back to sleep." I shouted back that I was seeing things. She slowly got out of bed, grabbed a Rosary from somewhere, placed it around my neck and told me to go back to sleep. Yeah, well, easier said than done!

Another night I was lying on my back, awake with my eyes closed just trying to get to sleep. Suddenly, I felt what I can only describe as a large ball slowly rolling its way up my thigh. I froze. A moment later I flipped out in an attempt to get it off and tossed my blankets a few times before curling up and laying there with my eyes squeezed shut until I finally fell asleep. After that I constantly had nightmares of waking up in the middle of the night with a limp person draped over my legs, making it impossible for me to get out of bed. It was terrifying.

One day while doing something in the kitchen, I glanced up at the microwave (it rested in a little cubby up on a shelf) and caught the face of a man looking down at me. Not through the reflective surface of the microwave like you might look at someone sharing a reflection with you in a mirror - but down as in if I were to look at him beside me, our eyes would meet. It was only for a split second - I had looked away and then right back only to see nothing, but I had definitely seen it. Strange thing was, I didn't recognize his face. First inclination might be to assume it was my grandpa, or even him in his younger years, but it wasn't from the details I had gathered. Someone totally unfamiliar. But the thing is he was looking at me with a gentle expression on his face - just sort of gazing at me from a height of maybe two feet taller than I. It didn't really scare me at the time - just more of a "Huh..." moment. I can still see him, though, clear as a bell in my mind.

Eventually, my mom and I moved to another city and I switched schools once again. This time we moved into a nice, newly built condo in a suburb of Wichita. (Preston Estates, if anyone is curious.) I kept my Grandpa's Army jacket in the suitcase and settled it into my new closet, still very much in admiration of the thing. (He was like a war-hero in my eyes!) Every night in that room felt very uneasy. Almost like a cold, unwelcome and uninviting space. But, I slept there anyway.

I kept a small lamp plugged in all night that sat atop my chest-of-drawers on the other side of my room. Some nights I'd just lay awake watching it go dim, then be at full brightness - dim, bright... Dim, bright... Dim, bright. After watching it for a while and getting more and more creeped out, I'd get out of bed and walk down the hall to sleep with my mom. (Don't judge me.:P) I just felt really uncomfortable in that bedroom overall, especially at night. One night after this had happened and shortly after I had climbed into bed with my mom, a tall floor lamp in her bedroom flicked on. We were both in bed at the time and all the lights had been out. I whispered, "Mom... The light just turned on..." She grumbled something about the switch probably being broken and told me to go turn it off. I refused until she made me -- I was so scared!

I slowly walked toward the lamp - looked around - turned it off and dashed back to bed. I was lying there still thoroughly creeped out when I opened my eyes. Floating directly above me and leaned over was the head and shoulders of a human shaped shadow. It was totally black and just hovering there maybe a foot from the ceiling, just staring down at me. In a panic, I pulled the covers over my head and laid there - totally petrified - until I could peek out again... Gone. I had been too shocked and too frightened to even utter a sound, all the while my mom laying right beside me! She was snoozing peacefully, of course. There was no waking her and the next morning she only brushed me off.

There was at this time a boy living with us whose bedroom was beside mine and on the opposite end of the hall as my mother's. The next day he told me something that really took the cake. He had woken up in the middle of the night and looked out his bedroom door to see "white, see-through people" walking through my closed bedroom door and into my room "all night long" (or until I can only assume he fell asleep). It wasn't until he had told me this that I had clued him in on the lamp situation.

Safe to say we were both pretty shaken up.

I've since moved back home and I haven't experienced much in the way of the paranormal in a few years. Somewhere in all the moving, we misplaced my grandpa's jacket. Or at least I haven't seen it since we lived in that condo. Maybe it was all a case of his spirit 'hanging on' to this object he left behind? Growing up, I've always had strange, little things happen to me that I nor anyone else can explain. Even as recent as last year, but they're never like anything that happened those few years while I was moving around with my mom so much.

In my old house that I lived in throughout high school, I'd be napping in my bedroom and wake up due to several loud taps on my closed door. Once I walked over and, attempting to re-create the noise, tapped my knuckle on the door frame. That was it. That's what I heard. But I was always home alone.

Once I had just turned out the light and rolled over to go to sleep when I heard a loud woman's voice say my name. It had come from within my bedroom, door closed, maybe 6 or so feet from my bed. Distinct. I flipped over, switched on my lamp, and yelled into the empty space, "WHAT WAS THAT?!" I think more out of frustration than anything. No one likes to hear their name called by seemingly no one just as they're beginning to relax. Frankly, it p*ssed me off. I remember shouting something like, "I am TRYING to go to sleep, WHAT do you want?" Haha! I was so mad. Had to sleep with my little TV on every night for a month after that one.

Ohhh man, but there are so many more. Little things happen every now and then that aren't really story-material, but they happen. So, I believe. Even more so now that the new tenants of that house tracked me down on Facebook and sent me a message claiming it's haunted. Long story. Maybe another time. Thanks for reading, though (if you still are) and apologies if it wasn't goosebump-inducing. Any suggestions or theories as to whom those shadow figures might've been or why I seem to experience these things would be great. I'm sure this won't be my only story submitted, but for now - my fingers are tired!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scribbl3r, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
DS, my apologies! 😉 Will make sure never to refer to you as a man again...
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
dragonwalker~ Please don't take me out back and beat me, I'm a female not a male 😭! Lol

Scribbl3r~ And yes I do agree believable is MUCH better than over embellishing details to give people a good scare and goosebumps, this is a good story, and definately not boring, I'd say because you are sensitive to this stuff is why it came to you, maybe the new tenants in the house aren't very nice and the other "tenants" do not much care for them and that is why things have started for them? Just a thought 😊
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
LOL at BJJ. If DragonStorm wasn't so nice, I'd take his butt out back and beat him for making things confusing. LOL.
Scrib, see what I mean? LOL! Details = believable, memorable and visual! I can (and do) believe your story. There are plenty of others on here that strike me as unbelievable... Yours does not number in that unfortunate set! Good job!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
scribbl3r: I really enjoyed reading your experiences, as already mentioned by a lot of posters believable is a lot better then goosebumps any day.
These activities you witnessed happened I believe because they new you could perceive them, they just wanted some attention and to be recognised, who they all where is another story. Previous home history and land could play a big roll in finding out more information regarding this.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
scribbl3r (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-02)
And Otteer, I've often wondered about that blood-stain myself... Maybe he did save several men and they were who were walking through my bedroom door all night? Part of me is glad we misplaced the jacket... While I love and miss my grandpa very much, I'll take peace and quiet over a lingering, mischievous spirit any day! 😉
scribbl3r (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-02)
Hooray! I'm glad I didn't bore you all to death. Holy cow, was it long. Anyway, I do have a bit of information on the house that I moved out of that is now apparently haunted, although I don't believe it'd be responsible for the types of things these new tenants claim are happening to them. When the house was being renovated during the 70's, the former tenants had an toddler son who was playing in the front driveway. The father was backing out of the garage in his truck and accidentally ran over him. Sickens me to think about and I suppose it may have something to do with the place giving off an eerie vibe. Although I will tell you, I lived there all by myself for about 6 months while the place was on the market to be sold and my family had moved away (I had no other place to stay) and nothing ever happened to me. This house was in a little town about 7 miles south of the small city I live in now, so while I did feel rather disconnected from most everyone I knew while living out there, that was pretty much the extent of my discomfort. Now these new tenants are claiming to hear footsteps at night (in the livingroom and attic -- we had an attic?!) things being flung across the room by themselves, and the front door swinging open on its own. My mother says while she was pregnant with me, she had a priest bless me. I've often wondered if that served as some sort of protection all these years. What do you think? (I feel terrible knowing that I may have caused something to become wrong with that house) 😢
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-02)
My bad, that was dragonwalker who said she preferred believable to goosebumps. Sorry dragonwalker. 😳
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-02)
Like DragonStorm, I like believable MUCH more than goosebumps. This is the most enjoyable account I've read in a while. 😊
Any idea on the history of the more active places you've lived? Might make for some interesting research if you haven't already looked it up.
Looking forward to more of your stories.
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-02)
Great story. Not boring at all so don't worry about that, I look forward to your next post.
StrawtotheBerry (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
What, I'm the only one who got goose bumps? At least at the "hi!" part. Or, it's just the fact that it's 11. 30 pm. Great story, though! I liked it c:

~Carmichah
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
My dear, I'd rather have believable than goosebumps all the time. And this was believable! Cool story! The little details really make this!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
I love the story (stories!) You are obviously a medium of sorts, you attract activity! So sad you lost the bomber jacket, wonder about the blood on it, maybe it was not your Grandfather's but a fallen commrade he tried to help. It's touching you feel so much for him. Keep talking to him, I'm sure he is listening!

The little girl saying "hi" did give me goosebumps as did the object floating over you in bed... Lordie lordie!

Lol, wonder if you opened a portal in the house the tenants say is haunted. Nice parting gift!
I hope you write some more. Just fyi... No judging when something makes you so frightened you run for the nearest warm person, I have done it myself (my son) lol!
Maestro (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
Like the story. Even if it doesn't seem to give goose bumps if any of us readers experienced what you did we wouldn't just dismiss it we'd be scared just like you I think. But I'm fourteen and I think I am also starting to hear noises in my room! XD

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: