You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Operating Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Operating Room

 

Have you ever felt eerie when you visit a hospital? A feeling that someone is watching you?

I am a nurse and I used to work in one of the oldest and most historic hospital's in Manila. In this hospital I was assigned to one of the most exciting areas - the operating room complex.

The operating room complex is divided into two distinct blocks. The right block is where all the scheduled operations take place whereas the left block takes care of the emergency, trauma and OB-Gyne cases. The whole complex is quite haunted and each block has its own collection of ghosts seen and felt by numerous nurses, residents and surgeons.

It was one ordinary working day. I was assigned to the night shift. Going on duty from 10:00pm to 6:00am the following day. My friend and I were discussing the presence of a ghost on our wing since she saw one the night before. I was telling her that I had heard a voice of a little girl when I was assigned to the other block. She laughed and said that the ghosts in this block were more aggressive and really made their presence felt since most of the patients that have died in this particular block have suffered traumatic accidents like being stabbed or shot. Most not really prepared to die.

I entered the operating room where I was assigned. I relieved the nurse from the previous shift. As soon as I was assisting the surgeon for the cholesystectomy case that they were performing one of them asked me what my friend and I were talking about. I said "We were just talking about the ghost she saw last night in room 11". They asked me if I believed in such things and I answered that I did believe in ghost since I have felt their presence in the OR complex. Almost all the room are haunted. They then told me about their own eerie experiences in the same complex.

The operation was taking longer than I expected. We took a break while waiting for the x-ray technician and his machine to arrive. We asked the circulating nurse to providee us with some seats. We took our seats and after sometime I was beginning to nod off. I suddenly felt a cold hand or finger touch my cheek. I opened my eyes to see if my co-nurses were playing a trick on me. I saw that the rest of the team was asleep and the other nurses were busy since there were other procedures being done in the other rooms. I decided that it was just my imagination getting the better of my so I closed my eyes again.

I was falling asleep again. The presence was not satisfied with just touching my cheek. It became bolder... more intense. It nudged the chair where I was sitting. After this I just stood up fully awake now goosebumps all over my arms and legs. I looked for my co-nurses leaving the sleeping surgeons to fend for themselves.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

cecil04 (6 stories) (62 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
[at] Healthy_Skeptic: how can you judge all (!) the stories originating from one whole country?
Are you a racist or something?
For sure you are not a "healthy sceptic"... Lol

[at] I couldn't agree more, but don't get angry because of the troll;)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-19)
Tsk tsk tsk little sceptic,
You are cute the way you rustle up the dirt in your path, aren't you? But poor little sweetpea, nobody really cares what you think out in the real world do they? So you bring your frustration here and you think it makes a difference. Very sad.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-19)
That's not being a healthy sceptic, that's just being a dirtbag. Oh please don't let any of us regulars stop you. After all, once you get tired of trolling, we'll still be here to help those that need it.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-19)
[at] Healthy_Skeptic,
You travel too far to be a total asshat do you? It's apparent to me already what you're all about. Why don't you hold your nasty opinion until you've been around here a little longer, huh? As for now you aren't impressing anyone!

Jav 😠

This comment from Healthy_Skeptic is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

cherrie25 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
This is a story of our review instructor. She is also working in the oldest & biggest government hospital here in Davao City. They had this one patient that need to be extracted a small amount of blood, maybe 5cc for CBC. When the medtech went to that patient to do the procedure, the patient inform the medtech that a blood extraction was already done by someone she called nurse a while ago. Some patients do not know that nurses are not allowed to do that procedure unless he/she is a licensed phlebotomist nurse but there's no phlebotomist nurse at that time, only a medtech. To their surprised they have seen the marking of a syringe needle on the antecubetal part of its arm with a cotton ball on it... The patient described nurse with white long uniform, with long sleeve and a white nursing cap. The staff then anticipated that it was a ghost of an old nurse way back many years ago...
WakeUp (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
It was probably an old o.r. Nurse who was appalled at the thought of the team napping in the midst of a procedure.
You should be ashamed of yourself... I've been an o.r. Scrub for more than 20 years, and if I ever witnessed a nurse snoozing on the job I'd sure as heck nudge the chair.
AJHviolin (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
people are saying many people die in hospitals try 8 every 24 hours for every 450 beds and chances are that in the room you are staying in some one will have died in it
Also if you have a room to your self very is a very likely chance that someone has died in it as most hospitals give patients their own private room for their last days or hours. Also a patient has died on almost every single bed in the hospital I am an undergraduate nurse and work in a hospital so that's how I know.
tgregg83 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
I worked as Security in one of my local hospitals for a year and a half. I worked 6pm to 6am and one of the places I had to make rounds once an hour through was Surgery. I had been told that several nurses had seen and heard things back there. One night around midnight as I made my rounds I stopped at the nurses station to do some quick paperwork. There were no cases and I was the only one in that section of the building. As I was writing I had my back turned to the hallway with the operating rooms and I heard the scrub sink come on by itself. I looked but nothing was there so I kept writing. At this point I felt something pull on the back of my uniform. I stopped for a minute but didn't turn around and decided to ignore it as something that was just wanting attention. Then about 5 minutes later I heard my name whispered loudly right in my ear. I am fine with ghosts and something being playful or moving things but when I know there is something there that I cannot see and it knows my name, I draw the line. I left quickly and did not stop at that desk again for a long time.
Maiah13 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-15)
My bestfriend was a nurse at the Phil Gen Hospital. She told me that they used to kid the patients there that they shd never go if someone, who looks like a patient in a white hospital gown, visits them in the middle of the night and asks them to follow. Apparently in a lot of cases, patients get visited by these phantom beings in the middle of the night.
Charlemagne (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-09)
Yes my parents and relatives have always believed that there is actually more paranormal activity in hospitals as compared to cemeteries... Likewise they believe that spirits are more likely to stay in churches than in burial places...

Personally, I've never experienced anything strange sleeping over in a hospital (when one of my family members needs to be confined). Glad this is so.:)

Thanks for sharing!:)
nairb_cool (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-21)
Yes a historical hospital is haunted, plus the spirit of the dead person that are not ready to die.
marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-08)
goober the nurses and doctors did not fall asleep during the surgery. You can't do that. It was during the long wait for the X-ray technician that the people fell asleep. Please read through the story again. Thanks for writing
Kodak (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
This is the reason why I am not a nurse and all my sisters and sister in laws are - I don't have the ability to stand blood or ghosts, my two fears next to deep water and heights.

I like my safe, air-conditioned, office job. :)
Goober (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
I'm confused here, the surgeons and nurses fell asleep during surgery?
izzy (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-25)
yes, most hospitals are haunted, take waverly hills for example, many, many people died of turburculosis in that hospital before a cure was ever found, in that same hospital
Marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-22)
thanks to pongster19 from the philippines for his comment. indeed most hospitals are haunted. This is due to the fact that many people die in this place. some of them are not even ready to die thus they have unfinished business and may have not accepted the fact that they are really dead.
pongster19 (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-19)
hmmm thats why I'm not really comfortable staying in the hospitals...lol
i was stubbed before but I forced my grandma not to confine me because there so many people died in the hospital...lol
i have my experience too.... ill post in soon.. hope you like it too...im from philippines
Marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-01)
To every one who gave his/hers comments, thank you. Glad to know you liked it.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-30)
Hospitals do creep me out and I believe of course there has to be ghosts in hospitals.
Autumn (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-28)
It's very common for hospitals to be haunted, and of course, I imagine, that the older the hospital is, the more spirits that reside there. I actually read of an incident in which a hospital had its ER moved. A lot of the spirits were confused, as the old ER had, I assume, been torn down. A nurse there, who could apparently communicate through ESP, "ushered" all of the spirits to the ER's new location, their new home. Interesting. I am fascinated by old hospitals and buildings. Though I am somewhat drawn to hospitals in general for some unknown reason. I am currently living in what used to be an old retirement/nursing home. In fact, the bathroom and bedroom have cords that trigger "emergency" alarms- they still function. I wonder what kinds of spirits still remain here?
splasher bacon 6.4 (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-27)
that story was really scary....
it makes my heart jumped.....
Marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-24)
thanks for the comment matthew. well there are a lot of scary stories to be told about this pre war hospital. Imagine there's even a room that when a patient is confined in the room he/she goes in not so sick but at times comes out very toxic that they have to change rooms or comes out dead. Glad to know that they closed the room down.

Happy holidays.....enjoy and be merry.....look into all the photos you have developed...there may be a good story lurking around
Matthew (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-22)
I would have to say that hospitals really creep me out!!! I mean specially here in the Philippines, I mean we have these old hospitals that are really scary to be in. I tell you Marie, everytime I go to hospitals, when the doctor tells me I'm sick and I have to be confined, imediately I make sure that I would not be confined in that hospital, that is if it seems eerie. But its a case to case basis because we also have great hospitals here. Like the Medical city in Ortigas, you can detain me in that hospital anytime.

Great story and Enjoy the Holidays!!!
destynie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-22)
wow, thats some scary stuff!! it seems as if we all have experiences when we are really tired or if we're already sleeping.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: