You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Knocking Inside The Walls

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking Inside The Walls

 

My name is Cole, and about a month ago I moved with my family to a large, ranch-style house in Bend, Oregon. I have had no past experience with the paranormal, so this scared me pretty good.

For the first two weeks, nothing happened in the house, everything was calm and quiet. Two weeks after we moved in there was still quite a bit of packing to do; my bed still hadn't been moved into my room, so I slept on an air mattress on the floor. It was about 11:30 pm, I was messing around on Facebook, my sister was sleeping off the flu, and my parents were watching TV in their bedroom (which was directly next to mine, I could hear the TV). I had just taken my headphones off, and was about to go the bathroom when I heard, clear as day, a knock from the wall behind me. There was no other room behind mine, just the outside, so I got up and looked out the window to see what could've made the noise. I didn't see anything (and the outside of our house is very well-lit, mind you), so I brushed it off as the house settling. Thinking back, it couldn't have been, as the house was fairly new, only a couple years old, and the temperature had remained in the mid-80's up until now.

I think it could not have been any person or entity either, as the house is raised up on a deck about 3-1/2 feet tall, and the knock came from just below the window, which is on the wall about 4 feet up (not including the deck), which amounts to almost 8 feet. I could not have reached that high (I'm short, about 5 feet), not even jumping, and to reach that high someone would have to be at least 6-1/2 feet tall. I know there are people that tall, but you don't come across many.

So, I forgot about it and went to the bathroom (directly across from my room). As I was doing business, I heard another knock, directly behind my head. It sounded slightly muffled, as if it was coming from the other side of the wall, and not the bathroom wall. But the wall between the bathroom and my sister's room is almost 4 feet thick (as is the wall between mine and my parent's room, they are crawlspaces accessible from the basement that make it easier to fix plumbing etc.), so that means someone would've had to go into the basement, somehow climb to the crawlspace (we have no ladder), and knock. I know for a fact that both of my parents were in their bedroom, and that my sister was in hers, and considering I had only been in the bathroom for about a minute, they couldn't have moved fast enough to get there before I got out. And, like I said before, you need a ladder to reach the crawlspace, which we don't have.

I finished up and checked both rooms, my sister was still asleep, and my dad was still up watching TV.

I don't know what this is, and it could have been pipes heating up or cooling down, but there had been no water running for the past half-hour (except the toilet, which had run about ten minutes before I went to the bathroom). I'm still not sure what it was, but I'm trying to figure out. I haven't told either of my parents or my sister, and they haven't had any experiences in the house so far.

Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostlybend, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

epicunicorn8165 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-17)
the banging could have been rats or something I have the same thing at my house
Twila (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
Well just because the house is new doesn't mean the land is, nor the objects you brought with you. I would suggest looking into legends/folklore and the like of your area - from the grounds your house is built on to the city itself, perhaps - and see if you can find anything out.

If it was something that you had actually brought with you, it may have been, "awakened," in a sense. As you said you had not had any other experiences prior to this, and I have two theories as to why this may be.

Firstly:
Let's say, hypothetically, there was some sort of object you brought with you that you were moving with some more signifigant importance - such as a family heirloom or a gift from a relative that's passed away. Maybe, because it was moved from its "home," it could be trying to communicate to get someone's attention to return to its wanted resting place. There's been cases of such occurrences before, so that is why I have thought of it as being a possible answer to this turn of events.

Secondly:
If there is some sort of spirit around, it may be a spirit of the land, and not the house. Spirits can be attached to places as well as objects and people, and places don't just have to mean buildings, it could mean the actual land. This is why I suggest that you look into happenings of the area and the like.

I hope this helped, even a little bit - regardless of whether it's actually a spirit or some extremely odd coincidence. Please, don't be afraid to keep discussing it with us. It's rather helpful to talk to others about such events and to help get them off your chest and maybe even give you peace of mind. We'll try to help you out as best we can.

Blessed be.

~Twila
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Yeah... I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt on this one as far as the dates being contradicting, cause that's the only thing I could think of that could affect what someone thinks as far as how old a house is.

Miracles - I think everyone has one of those days when commenting, but I think to, what may come across as judgemental for one person may just be regular way of commenting for another. 😁

Peace
JustCurious
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
JustCurious - nope, didn't offend me at all πŸ˜†. I'm really hoping he comes back. The more I read my original comment, the more I realize how judgmental I came across. Apparently I was having one of those days yesterday.

Taz, thank you. You pointed out what I was going to say if and when he returns. Even though it is new construction, it does take time for a new houses to "adjust" and "settle" The building materials, depending up on the quality of the materials, also have a lot to do with how long it could take the house to "settle."
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
JC: Yeah, I was thinking that too... I mean, here in Vegas buildings seem to pop up over night, but the climate being what it is, makes construction go a lot faster... Oregon is a very, um, dampish place, and I could certainly understand a house taking a couple of years to complete...

I guess we wait for Cole to respond... ❀
ghostscary (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
It sounds pretty weird. But I don't know how it could have been a spirit because the house hasn't been around very long. πŸ˜• Sorry but I can't really help you with this one! Hope everything turns out okay! 😁
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
hi cole not trying to dis~respect your story but do have something for you to think about,
I and my other half brought our house 4 years ago, the owners before us brought it off plan 4 years before that so its only 8 years old in total.

The first owners told us about the creaks heard, doors sticking and the tapping sounds in the walls even from there first night in the house noises were heard a new build can and will make noises as it settles and can take years to stop,
We personaly have had to use the 10 year house cover required buy any building company twice since we moved in (loose stair treads and squeaky floor boards)

Check corners of rooms, door ways and along the skirting boards you might see tiny hair width cracks as it's natural for a house to move slightly~ thus making noises.
Hope this helps
Carl
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
I just want to make a point about the months years thing. Just because you guys can't see a reasonable reason in your terms for making the mistake but maybe the author just had the dates mixed up about it and therefore could show how thinking one date could make it years, and then thinking another date can make it months. Also, in his comment, it said a couple months past construction.
What if the couple years meant from when construction started and couple months meant from when they moved in?

Just my thoughts on it and hope I didn't anger or offend anyone.

Peace
JustCurious
Little_dandelion (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
Have you experienced anything beyond knocking? Or more knocking? I have been haunted recently and it started out as knocking. I gave it attention and swore at it which made it worse, that was a HUGE mistake. So Dont even acknowledge that it is there. It can be really hard or scary but just crank up the TV or put on some upbeat music. I hope this helps! 😊
iyiyigirl96 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
Cole,
I live in Oregon too in a fairly new house. I have been hearing knocking noises in only my room, starting from my door to the right side of my bed which is on the other side of the room. I have no way of explaining it other then a hauting. I have heard it multiply times and so has my friend (we are no longer talking). I'm not sure if yours is a haunting but maybe an animal, so don't worry about it too much. 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Cole,
If the knocking once in your room and once in the bathroom is all you have experienced, and you haven't been able to check the crawl space, why do you think it may be paranormal? Is there any other reason to believe so?
I believe you sharing this experience with your parents might help clear up a lot of worry you seem to be having. And what makes you so sure a new house doesn't settle?

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Daz - I guess I should take my own words and apply them here. Life happens and there could be many reasons why he hasn't responded. So I'm not going to totally condemn him. Yet πŸ˜†

I do have a possible explanation for his knocking sound if he returns and explains the difference between the year/months thing. It doesn't mean it's what's going on, it's just something that could explain it. So I'll keep watching and waitingπŸ˜‰
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Cole...If someone is trying to communicate with you via... Knocking or tapping on your wall our spiritual friends all know this is one way of contacting us without scaring the daylights out of us... One way to rule it out or in, is by asking it to knock on the wall three times in a row... 1 time could be coincidental... Two times lucky... Three times would confirm its paranormal... A spirit is trying to communicate with you... Strangely enough with these experiences there may be a delay in response... What I mean is... You may ask it to knock now and it will happen in about a minutes time... Good observation miracles, I guess we'll have to wait for the reply from Cole, sometimes there's a reasonable explanation we hope.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
granny - have I told you lately that I love you πŸ˜†. I know why other people have Dumb Blonde Moments LOL. It's to make me feel like I'm not alone all the time! πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Miracles, that story will go down in history as the biggest blonde moment of my life πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
granny - it's hard to keep up with everything going on. Sometimes they slip through the cracks πŸ˜†. I remember a story once...LOL
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Devious: Marjie's a sharp one, even if she's a dumb blonde with brown hair πŸ˜†...I really wish I'd caught it before making my last comment though LOL!

BTW: thanks πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Devious - thanks 😊. I've been playing different scenarios out in my head trying to see if he could have made a mistake. Nothing I came up with could have created a mistake like that. You just don't "oops, typo" months for years. Sorry, dude.

I actually believed the story and had a plausible explanation all ready too 😊. Until I got to his comment πŸ˜†. Shot it all the hell and back LOL. Then I had to rewrite my comment LOL.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Great catch Miracles! See? I think what I said on another story rings true... The counterfeits will be found and outed sooner or later!
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
I think its not an animal mate, I think it might be a mischevous spirit! Have you done any research on the history of your area or where your house was built? Dont be scared though, not all spirits are malevolent, some just like to make mischief!:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Cole - you contradicted yourself. In your story you said, and I quote "so I brushed it off as the house settling. Thinking back, it couldn't have been, as the house was fairly new, only a couple years old," but in your comment you said " (our house is brand new, maybe four months past construction; we had it custom-built to our preferences)."

Look, I like helping people. I really do. But I don't like being taken for a ride. There is a huge difference between a couple of years and a couple of months.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Cole: Well, since you've taken a good gander about the grounds, my next suggestion would be to try to record it, either a voice recorder or video camera...Also, even though your house is new the land it's on isn't...Do you know any history of the land?
ghostlybend (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
I've searched the basement several times (which is completely empty except for some cardboard boxes in one corner), and I couldn't find anything. Our entire basement has concrete walls, except for the basement door and the crawlspaces. The door, as far as I can see, has no openings (our house is brand new, maybe four months past construction; we had it custom-built to our preferences) but I've yet to check the crawlspace, because, like I've said before, we have no ladder. It could be rats slipping in, but not raccoons - I tried shining my flashlight into the crawlspace to see what I could, and there were no conceivable holes. But I can search more thoroughly once I get a ladder.
I also did a quick search around the house, and couldn't find any holes where a rat could get into the wall. Rats couldn't get in through the deck, as it is part of the basement (and so the inside is lined in concrete).
So far, there hasn't been anything else, but I'll post if anything does.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Cole: I agree with BJJ... When I lived in Ohio, our washer and dryer were in the basement... The ceiling down there was unfinished, and there was a hole in my daughter's closet for access to the plumbing in the bathroom...Well, a squirrel had worked his way into the house by coming in through the dryer vent, and somehow climbed the brick walls to my daughter's room, and scared the crap out of my hubby and me by invading our living room! πŸ˜†...But for a few days before that, we would hear noises from the basement... Apparently, I locked him in when I secured the vent back onto the dryer and wedged a piece of wood between it and the wall to keep it from coming off again... Poor critter πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Could any animals, rats, raccoons, etc., found their way into the crawl space? As an example, there is this one rat in my kitchen, behind the wall. He makes knocking sounds and rustling noises. Very irritating and I keep hoping the cats will get him. No luck yet. Check around your house and basement for any possible places an animal could get in. If it's mice or rats, the hole will be very small.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
The noise could have been residual from the builders that constructed your house or someone working on the plumbing. Residual energy is just like a replay of events. I don't think it was anything to worry about. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: