You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Think They Wanted My Help

Real Ghost Stories

I Think They Wanted My Help

 

Recently I was on vacation to Gettysburg, PA with my family. Now, you can only imagine I would have some kind of experience. Well, guess what? I had three, and I couldn't wait to get back and post them to YGS! I decided that I would make this experience one all on its own because it has depth. My story begins with my dream

In Gettysburg, PA there was an orphanage. It is now a soldier's museum. (I'm getting to the dream if you were wondering, just have to explain some stuff first) Anyway, back when it was an orphanage, a lady named Rosa Carmichael was in charge. She was the 2nd person to be in charge of the orphanage. She was a very sick-minded person. She felt the need to torture the poor, innocent kids that lived there.

I won't go into too much detail, but she would chain them down in the dungeon if they misbehaved. She would make them sit down there for a couple days in total darkness. Could you imagine how scared those poor kids would be? Sometimes, she would make the older boys beat the kids.

Eventually, she was busted. A girl who had run away told her stories to some people that found her. Rosa was kicked out of town. The orphanage was shut down after that. Now, it is a museum. (like I mentioned before) Now, for my dream.

The day before I found out about the orphanage, I had a dream about one. In my dream, I went to visit the kids in their rooms at an orphanage. I met this one little girl in the dream. We talked, and played- but in the dark. The whole room was dark. I could sense she was there, and I also had a feeling that she needed help, and she was sick. When I was done playing with her, I walked out of her room and walked up the stairs. In that room, there were three old-fashioned beds with three teenage boys in them. I had a feeling that they were sick too, and they needed help also. Then the dream ended.

The next day I was surfing the web, looking for Gettysburg haunts. The orphanage came up, along with its long dead residents. At the time, I didn't realize that my dream might be related to it. The next day though, it occurred to be in the car when we were hiking up to PA. I told my mom, and she didn't say anything for a while. I begged her to take me there. She really didn't want to, but finally she gave in.

When we arrived in Gettysburg, one of the first things we did was go to the museum. Surprisingly, when I first stepped in, I felt calm. Maybe it's because I felt like I could relate to them, since I'm still considered a kid too. We paid and then entered the museum. I was looking around, and then I realized that someone was stroking the top of my hair. I jumped and told my mom. She said that somebody was touching her hair too.

I'm surprised that I didn't freak. I just kept walking around the museum trying to shake off the feeling of being watched. I paused and looked at the artifacts behind the glass, and then I felt it again. Somebody was touching my hair- for the second time.

That's when I said, not aloud, but in my head that the spirits stuck here could leave. I told them that Rosa wasn't keeping them there anymore. She was long gone, and they were free.

I honestly think that I had that dream for a reason. Those kids wanted my help. Please comment, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, youdontknowme88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shahzeb (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
hi I think you shoud try to convince your parent ine way or another and try to explore the basement. That's where they always are. But beware rosas ghost might still be there. Bottom line follow your heart and try to help those kids those kids had enogh in life they don't need this now so be heavens angel and help them there waiting for you and try to befreind any ghost you see.
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
otteer,
Hi, and thank you for reading my story! After Rosa was kicked out of town, the orphanage was shut down. I have no idea where the kids went. Obviously, some stayed, but others must have found homes. Thanks again for reading my story and commenting.

AF1 โค
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Thank you for directing us to this story. I can hardly wait to read your new one! That area has always facinated me!
Poor children, back then they were not held in the same regard as now. Then they were either an heir, a servant, extra hand, bargining tool or a bother. If they were very lucky, they were loved and cherised but heaven help them if their parents died, they were on their own or passed from relative to relative to earn their keep. Thank goodness the authorities cared enough to get rid of Rosa, but what happened to the children?
Bless you!
aiafaith1 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
Woah. I don't get on my laptop for two days, and I have a bunch of comments!

Redphx: Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜Š

DARKNESS: Thank you so much.

Dreamergal72: Yes, I agree. Thanks for your comment!

Javelina: Always happy to hear from you! Thank you for your kind words. My hotel story is coming soon! I'm afraid it isn't as interesting as this one. Acutally, I take that back. All experiences are interesting. ๐Ÿ˜† Haha, I love Ghost Adventures! I agree, they're hilarious! They just need to learn the term "Respect the dead" in my opinion. LoL.

AF1 โค
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
aiafaith1,
Oh I am so glad I found this story! Aia, you always seem to know the right thing to do in these situations, I am always amazed when I read your experiences. You just go with your gut feelings and somehow it always works out.
This story touches me deeply, it always breaks my heart to hear the awful things that little children had to endure, and to have that happen to orphans! They've already been through the worst thing just losing their parents, then to be sent to a place where there is no love at all for them? You did a wonderful thing dear, and I'm so proud to call you my friend.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us, and I can't wait for your haunted hotel room story too.

Love you as always, โค
Jav

PS I like Ghost Adventures, they make me laugh! ๐Ÿ˜†
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
that terrblie for what the woman did to inncent children I hope they go to the light they seem need your help.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Aia good to hear another experience from you, well done on your efforts of actually getting to visit the place in real life and giving them your help you have a very kind heart, I have noticed this from your comments and your experiences in your stories. Keep them coming.๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Very good of you to follow your dream and fo there. I was watching Ghost Adventures and they had that orphanage there. I am not fond of kid ghosts. I guess maybe I don't like the playful nature. Good experience! Can't wait to read more
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
cosmoga926: Yep! Those stories are coming soon!

Bacchaegrl: Thank you. Gettysburg really is amazing. Hopefully someday you might see it! ๐Ÿ˜† Thanks for commenting.

DeviousAngel: Yeah, it really is. Humans are odd creatures sometimes. Thanks for commenting!

AF1 โค
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
aiafaith, thank you for telling us about your experience! I would love to visit that place myself. It is so sad and sick, what humans are capable of doing to others to make themselves feel more powerful. I am glad you were able to visit the orphanage/museum and hopefully put to rest some of the spirits lingering behind.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Blech, Ghost Adventures... But that's just my opinion. That's neat that you got to go to Gettysburg. That place is a dream vacation spot for me. I know I'd see a ghost if I traveled there. Thanks for sharing your story.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Oh wow aia, that must have been so cool watching Ghost Adventures from your haunted hotel room. ๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks for clearing that up for me. I watch so many of these shows they all start to morph into one after a while. LOL! I can not wait to read about the hotel, and the Jenny Wade house. ๐Ÿ˜
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
cosmogal926: Always a joy to hear from you! ๐Ÿ˜ Yeah, it was Ghost Adventures! I watched that episode in my haunted hotel room while I was there in Gettysburg. (the haunted hotel room is another story that I plan on sharing... I also went to the Jenny Wade house which was on Ghost Adventures)

AF1 โค
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
geetha50: Yes, it is very sad. Rosa got what she deserved.

Yes, I did actually. The air felt lighter and happy around me. ๐Ÿ˜Š

When my mom felt her hair being touched, she was calm. ๐Ÿ˜† Thanks for commenting!

AF1 โค
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Hey aia, thanks for sharing another story with us. I have heard of this place. I am pretty sure it was on an episode of either Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventures. I remember them being in the basement huddled in to one corner where Rosa used to make the kids stay and trying to call her out. If I remember correctly they did get an evp of a woman saying "I did it" or something to that effect. I am sure those children were reaching out to you and your mother. I would love to visit Gettysburg one day. ๐Ÿ˜Š โค
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
It is sad to hear that kids could be treated like that. But I guess that it's part of life; at least Rosa was kicked out.

When you told the kids that they could move on, did you feel any change in the atmosphere? Did you feel calm afterwards. What was your overall feelings.

Also, you mentioned that your mother felt the stroking of her hair, how did she feel about it?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
aiafaith: Gettysburg is one of the most haunted places in America, and most center around the battle...It's refreshing to hear of other hauntings in the same area...I'd be interested in seeing any pics you have of the battlefield or memorials that you may have, though! ๐Ÿ˜†

Thank you for posting! โค

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: