You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Maternal Grandmother's Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Maternal Grandmother's Experiences

 

I'll be posting my personal experience soon enough but it's taking me some time to write it down. Each time I think about what happened, I remember the bone chilling fear that I went though. But in the mean time, I would like to tell you some experiences that my maternal grandmother experienced. These stories were told to me by mother as my grandmother has passed away a couple of years ago. (I still miss her to this day and I wish I could have her back).

I would also like to mention before I start telling the stories is that the women on my mother's side of the family have the ability to tell if something is going to happen or if something has already happened. Many times it is something bad but there have been incidents where something good has happened. These experiences come though feelings (like sadness or happiness), physical changes (like becoming sick or being in pain), or through a spirit visiting us in a dream or while we are in the state between sleep and awareness of our surroundings. I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe. I have experienced some of the things like my mother and grandmother but not always in the same intensity.

Story #1:

This story is about what my grandmother experienced the day my grandfather (her husband) died and it takes place back home in Sri Lanka. I never got to meet my grandfather as he died when my mother was only three years old.

My family is what you would consider a well off middle class Tamil family; this is considered a good thing in a civil war torn country. My family had a small rice farm, plus a few cows, goats, chickens, and three herd dogs.

My grandfather had gone early to the farm to help out with the harvesting, especially, since a helping hand was home sick. My grandmother would usually go and help my grandfather at the farm after helping Archie (maternal great-grandmother) with the cooking and sending my uncle off to school and feeding my mother. Since my mother was only three years old, she was left with either Archie or one of my many great-uncles and great-aunts (my grandmother was one of 10 children, so there wasn't a shortage of people looking after each other's children).

On this particular day, my grandmother sent my grandfather off to the farm and did her usual stuff but planned to stay a little longer because one of the cows was going to give birth to a calf. Since Archie couldn't travel a long distance to get the vet, my grandmother went to get him. I was told by my mother that if one of the animals gave birth it would be Archie or my grandmother who would usually help with the birth but my grandmother ended getting the vet for this birth because the cow started getting sick and acting weird just before giving birth. My grandmother also started getting weird feelings like having a heavy heart and butterflies in the stomach at the same time. Before she left to get the vet, she told Archie that she was having these feelings and with the cow being sick before giving birth something bad was going to happen (cows are consider sacred animals and we would pray to them). Archie (being the crazy woman she is) told my grandmother to stop being stupid and go get the idiotic vet (for some reason Archie didn't get along with the vet, even though he was a family friend; probably because Archie could be a hard head sometimes).

Anyways, the calf ended up being born dead and the cow ended up coughing blood and dying about two hours later. The vet tried saving the cow but couldn't and ended up putting her to sleep. Archie finally agreed that this was a bad omen. At this point, my grandmother got really sick to the point that she was really dizzy and had to lie down. Archie helped her into the cot bed that was in the backyard shade so that the breeze could help her. My grandmother fell asleep and when she woke about a little later, she asked where are husband was. At this point in time, one of my grandmother's sisters was with her and she told my grandmother that he was still out in the field. My grandmother wanted my grandfather back to the house as soon as possible.

When my great-aunt asked why she was in a panic and why she wanted my grandfather back home, my grandmother said that she had a dream. In the dream, she saw the cow that just died with her husband standing beside it and her husband saying that the cow was his responsibility now and that he will take care of it and that he was happy and not in pain anymore. My grandmother woke at this point in a panic and wanted her husband to come home. My great-aunt sent one of her sons (my uncle) to get my grandfather but came back with some bad news.

According to one of the helping hands, my grandfather started feeling really dizzy and decided to take a break and sit under one of the trees surrounding the farm. Within a few minutes, he started screaming that his chest hurt. Before they could get him far, he died of a massive heart attack. This incident happened a few minutes before my grandmother woke up from the dream.

The doctors did an autopsy on my grandfather and found a clot in one of his veins leading to the heart. But they couldn't find out that was possible because like other farmers, my grandfather was a hard working man, who never smoked a day in his life and probably had a shot or two of alcohol with his dinner. According to my uncle (mom's big brother), he was a fit man.

Since the day my grandfather died, my grandmother raised my mom and uncle with the help of the rest of the family. Even though many of them asked her to, my grandmother never remarried because she was afraid that the next man she married won't be a proper father to her kids.

Story # 2:

This next story also takes place at and near my grandmother's house in Sri Lanka. It was told to me by my mother. Like many large families, we would either live as one big family in one large house or live with their individual families in smaller houses close by. Our family setup was the latter.

There was a guy name Raja. My mom believes he was a distant cousin or something to my grandmother. Raja was about a year or two younger than my grandmother and although he was a hard worker and a good guy who would help anyone out if they asked, he was a little slow and because of that nobody came to marry him. Even though Raja helped a lot of people, these very same people would make fun of him behind his back. My mom (who at this point was about 10 years old) said that some people like his father were so mean that they would insult him in front of other people. My grandmother was a like a big sister to him and Archie would always pity him and give him food. Archie can be a hard headed woman, but she was also kind. She would defend Raja whenever his father or someone insulted him. Raja, on the other hand, just took everything with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, Raja was working on the banana farm that belonged to my grandmother's brother. After a long day of work, Raja came to my grandmother's house through the short cut path in between the two properties for a cup of tea. (According to my mother, Raja doesn't eat or drink at my great-uncle's house because my great-aunt didn't like him and always put him down. My great-uncle gave him the job on the farm because he felt sorry for him). After drinking the tea, Raja told my grandmother and Archie that he was going to go home. Archie asked him to stay for dinner but he said that was tired and wanted to take a shower before going to sleep.

Just before leaving, it started to rain. Many of the posters who are from village type places should know that there are a lot snakes in the bushes. My mother said that many times the snakes would come out of the bushes when it rains. It would have been safer to take the main road home but it was the longer route and Raja decided to take the path behind the houses where on one side there were lots of bushes and leaves. Within minutes of leaving, Raja screamed out, "Akka (big sister), a snake bit me". Apparently, Raja stepped on some leaves that were gathered together in a pile and a snake was coiled under the leaves. When Raja stepped on the pile of leaves, the snake bit him. It was dark and it took a few minutes for my grandmother, Archie, and two of my great-uncles (who also heard the scream) to find him and when they did find him, Raja had passed out. The group picked him up and brought him back to my grandmother's house while one of my great-uncles went to rent out a car from a nearby neighbour (he had a car rental business and this was easier to get because getting a taxi was difficult to do at that time of the evening).

Because of space, only my great-uncles went with Raja to the hospital. They initially went to the local hospital but after testing Raja, the doctors said that they couldn't do anything for him and that he needed to go to the government hospital. Unfortunately, Raja died before they reached the government hospital. My mom said that the doctors saw the venom had spread and probably wanted to avoid all the paper work that went with the dead.

Anyway, while my great-uncles went with Raja, my grandmother and Archie (great-grandmother) stayed behind at the house. My grandmother dosed off on the front porch when she felt someone by her legs. In her vision, she looked to see that it was Raja. He thanked my grandmother for treating him nicely and always giving him tea whenever he asked. Raja also told my grandmother to tell Archie to stay out of trouble.

My grandmother just woke up then and she told Archie that Raja didn't survive and that he thanked her for the tea and told Archie to behave. Being the person she is, Archie told my grandmother to shut up and go back to sleep. Not even a minute later, the phone rang and the news came that Raja had died. Many people like my grandmother and Archie were sad about Raja's death, but some people were happy that they didn't have to care for him.

I know this was kind of long and I apologize for that. It is weird sensation that you go through and I was wondering if anyone else experienced these kinds of events.

Other hauntings by geetha50

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, geetha50, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Geetha didi I really loved both the stories... And I've read few more of your stories, all of which I love! "I managed to scare my doc" is already in my favs. Firstly let me tell you how amazing I think it is that even though you have lived outside india, first Sri Lanka and now Canada, you are so rooted in our culture. Reading your stories is always a pleasure because of the way you describe our culture in them! The cow worship, the family system, the fields, the big joint families, lord ganpati, the vibhuti and holy thread- absolutely everything... Nobody can describe it better than you. I know this story was put up much earlier but I'm new and I just saw it. Loved it. So sorry what your granny had to go through. And I guess I understand that feeling of knowing something bad will happen. I won't say I have those powers too but Atleast when it comes to my maternal grandad, I get some feeling. Each time he has fallen seriously ill, right since I was a kid, I knew something bad was going to happen. Even though I'm sitting in Mumbai and he's in delhi, a good 1500 Kms away... Anyway I must say you are really lucky to have such great women in your family and now you are one too:) about raja, well I know exactly how it feels... As I mentioned in my story, my uncle is like that. It's terrible that people treat them badly, but Atleast people like you and cosmogal exist who love and care for them. Cosmogal I loved loved loved your comment. That was extremely sweet of you and your husband.
Thank you again geetha didi, for a lovely story. And I'm going to be reading your other stories now, so please don't get annoyed by the late comments. I'm apologising in advance. Take care:)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Thank you JoyBells for the comment. I was lucky to get to know both my grandmother and great - grandmother before they passed away. My great - grandmother could be a little crazy but she always love her family.
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Geetha:

Both stories are truly a tear jerkers and both made me think about the people in my life that any one of them could be gone at a moment's notice without warning. I'm glad I read this because it makes me appreciate those people even more and challenges me to show more love and kindness to those who need it.

Your great-grandmother and grandmother sounded like they were wonderful people with big hearts and I'm glad that they cared for Raja as much as they did. ❤
DrKreep (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
Honestly I believe this to be a true story. I share the same kind of psychic ability your grandmother would have been possessed with:)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
Thanks for the comment Darkness. The one thing I forgot to mention in the story was that my mother told that my grandmother felt peacefulness coming from him. So, I think he is in peace with himself. Personally, anywhere is better than living surrounded by stupid ignorant people. I'm always hoping that there are more people like cosmogal who would stand up for people like her friend and Raja.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
Geetha - Loved those experiences friend, very detailed and amazing. I felt really sorry for Raja and the way he was treated was dispicable in my opinion, I hope he has found peace. The women in your family truly do have a great gift. I thoroughly enjoyed this Geetha and am looking forward to your next submission. 😁

Cosmogal: That is truly awesome of you and your partner, you have a very kind and loving heart, I think that is a beautiful thing. 😊

Dan 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
You know Champion, I don't know why they say men don't cry. A true man should be able to show all aspects of his emotion. That would be part of his character. Crying doesn't mean weak!
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
I was brought up that men don't cry! So I guess I'm not a man, you all have turned me into a sop I feel like I'm watching a Michael Landon flick and lying to everybody that I have allergies. Just kidding L.O.L. But I have to admit I did cry as some of these stories are very heartfelt and touching and real. On that note let's keep it real and keep up the good work.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Cosmogal926,
Thank you for your comment!
I also agree with Miracles about your story bringing tears to my eyes (which is not a good thing, while you are work, 😆).
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Miracles, I was holding back tears reading geetha's story and then had to stop a couple of times while typing my comment. It just hit me really hard.

Geetha, thank you for the compliment. You and your family are pretty classy yourselves. 😊 ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Thank you cosmogal926 for your comments. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about those kind of people but to try to be good friends to people like Raja and your friend. I'm glad that you included your friend in your wedding. It just goes to show you and husband have more class than some other people. Thanks for adding my story to your favourites! ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
cosmogal - you know how sometimes someone makes a comment on a story and it brings tears to your eyes? Yours did. Thank you for including that piece of your heart on this story. ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
geetha, I am so saddened by what happened to Raja and how some people could be so mean and have such disregard for a human life. Even his own father used to make fun of him? I'm sorry but that just breaks my heart. I am also sorry that your grandmother lost her husband so suddenly. Those blood clots are not always easy to detect. The women in your family have a special gift, I just hope the signs you get bring you more joy than pain.
I have a friend who is like Raja, he is an older man who works hard and if you ask him to do a favor for you he will and he doesn't ask for anything in return. There are people that make fun of him, even the woman who rents out a tiny little room to him will put him down from time to time. When I got married my fiance and I asked him to do a reading at the ceremony and happily accepted. People kept asking me why, and saying we were crazy but we didn't care he did a great job and was so happy that we included him. That's all that mattered to him. I'm sorry for going on and on, but your story just hit home for me. I am putting this in my fav's. Thanks ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Thank you Champion for your kind words. I know where you are coming from about people like Raja. I worked with mentally challenged people (mostly children) but it pains me to see how they are treated, especially with people talking about them behind their backs. It's just crazy. What else can we do but to bear it because those kind of people will never change.

Also, I'm glad that I could provide information for you to learn. I'm like you in that I love to learn about people and their culture because they are so different from mine and at the same time invite people to learn about my culture. I remember being in high school and college and being the top one to volunteer to help out at the cultural events.

The funny thing was went I was younger, I was afraid to show where I was from because I was afraid of what other people would think and not knowing weather they will be accepting of my culture.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
geetha, I always enjoy your comments and stories and being a hillbilly from Tennessee I appreciate what you have taught me about your culture and I have come to learn that no matter what race,religion,color or where we are from we are all humans. I feel a kinship for Raja as I know people like him that others consider a burden no-matter how much they contribute or how hard they work and it always breaks my heart to see this but seems to be commonplace around the world. Your Grandmother was truly gifted. Thank You for the story and look forward to more!

Your Friend,
Champion
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Thanks everyone for the comments. It surprises me to this day what we humans go though when we experience the paranormal.

Zzsgranny,
Are we all in that "psycho" or "loonie" categories? 😆.

Otteer,
It does make me proud to think that there is a connection between the women in the family and that it will always be there long after we are gone.

Miracles,
I know I have the same "gift" as my mother and grandmother but it sometimes scares me when I can't or have trouble controlling my emotions.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
geetha - you shouldn't feel like you had to apologize for the length of your story. Your culture is different than a lot of ours and it was important to fill us in on it. I, personally, appreciate that.

You come from an amazing family, geetha. If you have this same gift, and I'm assuming you do from your first paragraph, all I can say is bless your heart.

I truly enjoyed reading this story. Thank you for sharing this with us.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
What a great story, you told it so well. How proud you must be to come from a line of such strong women. Thank you for sharing your story, its going into my favs. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
geetha: Wow, those are some pretty incredible experiences!...The women in your family are truly gifted... I think this story shows how the bond between two people can transcend any boundary, and how profoundly acts of kindness or cruelty can affect a person...

To answer your question, I have had some similar experiences... I don't know, for me, if it has anything to do with being psychic... More like "psycho" 😆

Thank you for posting, it is an amazing account! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: