You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange And Electrifying

Real Ghost Stories

Strange And Electrifying

 

From late 1989 until July of 1991, my apartment at 1444 Broadway in Lorain was the site of numerous unexplained phenomena. A lot of it dealt with the odd behavior of electrical and electronic devices when on the premises. These were but a few.

I was waiting for company one Friday evening-among other things, I had my coffeemaker all set up where I merely had to turn it on.

My guests arrived, and we began to carry in groceries, bedding, and other supplies for the weekend. As I re-entered the apartment, I could hear the machine brewing, and smell the coffee... I assumed that Dave had switched it on when he came in. When I went to check, the machine was still off, and no coffee. I asked Dave, who said he'd heard and smelled the same thing, and assumed that I'd turned it on.

Buddi and Lisa, who didn't drink coffee, heard and smelled nothing.

I had a digital alarm clock, which began to run backwards; according to the folks at the other end of the 800 number I called, it's impossible for one of these to run in reverse. When I took it to my mother's, it ran normally.

Flashlights with new batteries would dim and die, then return to normal when removed from the premises; a digital stopwatch did the same thing.

I once turned on three radios at once, and tuned them to the same stations... Two of them were picking up the local (Cleveland) ststions, while the third, a Walkman-type, played strange instrumentals, with no station or commercial breaks, no matter what station it was on-the next day, it functioned normally.

Christmas of '90, Buddi hung a string of fairy bulbs in my living room. These lights weren't designed to blink, yet they did. Sometimes, the entire string would blink, sometimes just half the string, sometimes one half, then the other. The lights would blink to music, or if spoken to.

The smoke alarm in the hall would go off for no apparent reason, as did the hall and bathroom lights. A homemade compass pointed west, rather than north, when inside the building, but turned to the regular heading outside.

We also had EVP experiences, and took photos, which I will speak on at a later time, for space's sake.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
I've long been of the view that spirits (demons) have a certain control over electromagnetic devices, which, of course includes living organisms. Much of what we perceive during paranormal experiences may be directed sensory manipulation, i.e. There is nothing there, but your brain is being "tweaked" into perceiving it; this may explain why, 4-X, you can have ten people in a "haunted" room, two may see and hear an apparition, two simply hear it, two have just a "bad vibe" experience, and four, no experience at all.

We'd experienced the draining of batteries at other locations as well, 4-X, our campsites.

DAN: the building dated from 1927, the original structure, a house, having been demolished during the Lorain tornado of 1924.

During the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918, the house was used as a temporary morgue.

CHAMPION: I have several earlier postings about this address; check my "other hauntings" record.

My brother, Phil, was the one who first spoke to the lights, when I was telling him about them... He yelled at them, "HEY!WAKE UP!", and they did, blinking to beat the band.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
great story! 😊
Have to ask, how did you realise talking to the lights would get a response?
Will be waiting for the next part
Carl
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds like that place may have had a very high EMF field, so it is not too much of a stretch to assume that there could be spirits there using all that energy to communicate (especially since you mentioned the lights would blink when spoken to). Did you get a chance to do some research and find out if anything happened there, or what was on the land before the complex?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Wow! It sounds like you were living in the Bermuda Triangle. Such strange activity, and I agree with Champion regarding the iron ore in the ground. Also if there were any power lines or, a power station around could have something to do with it. I am thinking there was some kind of vortex around your property, and I can't wait to hear about the EVP's and Photos. Thanks for posting 😊
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
could be a lot of iron ore in the ground causing some of the electrical fluctuation and throwing the compass off. But the clock going backward I have no idea. There is definitly something up with this place. Thanks for posting and looking forward too more on this place.

Champion
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
alandhopewell,
This is a lot of electrical things to happen in one place at any time! My father was an electrician, I'll bet he would have loved to have seen what was going on at your place.
That's really weird about the clock running backward though. I think that one is the one that really proves there was something happening along the lines of the paranormal. I didn't think that was possible either.
The thing with the compass reminded me of something I saw on one of those "A Haunting in" episodes (Georgia, I think). They had a parapsychologist come by the house and he didn't have any equipment with him, so he went out to his car and grabbed the compass that was suctioned onto his dashboard and used that as an EMF Detector. It also did what you explained yours had done, plus it started spinning at one point, which I assumed had to be a major hot spot.
Very strange and awesome things going on I'd say. Thank you for sharing, I always enjoy reading your experiences.

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
alandhopewell: Those are quite intriguing experiences, it seems as though whatever was present within the home was using the electricity to get your attention also to probably try to manifest, this would explain the dying of batteries etc I believe. The running backwards of your alarm clock is very strange I wonder what this is meant to mean? Did you ever look into the house and land history? I like the way the lights were flashing to the music, that's kind of cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: