You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Uncle's Frightening Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

Uncle's Frightening Encounter

 

This experience was told to my grandmother Leonor by my oldest uncle Theodoro. This story takes place in San Francisco Del Rincon, Guanajuato. This place called "San Pancho" by it residents has many myths surrounding parts of the town, specifically the oldest parts.

One night, my uncle Lolo as we call him, was returning home after a late night gig. He was a mariachi in his younger days. To get to my grandma's house back in the day he had to cross a bridge. Under the bridge ran a river that has since dried up. People used to throw their garbage down there. There were also several rumours going around town that the prostitutes of "San Pancho" disposed of their unwanted babies down there. In short people tried to avoid this bridge after dark, because according to them strange things would happen there after dark. So my uncle being a super macho decided that he was not going to take the long way back to the house. So as he is crossing the bridge he starts to feel a very cold breeze which he thought was weird since it was the middle of summer and its usually very hot at night. He continues walking and starts to hear the sound of chains being dragged on the bridge behind him. At this point he starts to walk a little faster, his heart pounding in his chest. All of a sudden he hears a blood curdling scream from behind him. He freezes on the spot then very slowly turns around to see who or what screamed. Standing there a couple feet in front of him is a woman with long dark hair and an old style dress, he describes her face as appearing extremely ugly, blood shot eyes, ghastly mouth, and pale skin. As he stands there staring at her the woman starts screaming again and begins to float towards him. Well my uncle drops his trumpet and runs to my grandmother's house with the woman in pursuit. He finally reaches the house and starts banging on the windows and door shouting for someone to open up. My grandparents get up hearing all the banging and open the door for him. He was pale and barely able to talk as he was crying so hard. It took him a while to tell my grandmother what happened.

After that encounter he never again crossed the bridge at night by himself. To this day he still gets chills when he talks about that day. The bridge no longer stands, since the river dried up a road now stands there. People still say that late at night they hear babies crying and the sound of chains being dragged on the road.

Other hauntings by rosy722

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rosy722, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Of course, this all comes from the Medea myth, where Medea kills her sons to get back at her husband Jason. That seems to be a common theme among these ghost women who cry and hate men. Maybe none of these women exist, at least their ghosts anyway. It could all just be a take on the Medea myth.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
I've heard and read some pretty scary La Lloronoa stories. There are many variations of that old story. She's even spotted along the Rio Grande, a river that runs through my city. It seems that even though her story began a long time ago, she is still present and with us today.
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
I have a friend from Mexico who told me about a woman just like this who flies through the air at night, looking for her children. Sorry, but I don't know what happened to the children and I can't remember what he called her. 😕 He did seem very convinced that she was a real entity though, and I certainly wouldn't want to run in to her!
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
the very first episode of supernatural was about the Lady in white/weeping woman. A man had cheated on his wife and in her grief she drowned her children then took her on life by jumping off a bridge and her spirit would haunt the highway searching for men who were unfaithful.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
I have heard this very same legend told, as Moongrim linked. It seems to be a common urban legend. Kind of weird how urban legends spread sometimes...

Thank you for sharing your story!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
That's the one! I knew that La Llorona didn't sound right, she was the weeping woman.
I believe BJJ has gotten it correct here. La Lechusa is the wild woman who chases the men who walk alone at night.

Jav
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
This reminds me more of La Lechusa (sp?) Than of La Llorona. La Lechusa is said to be an angry female spirit that attacks men traveling alone at night. Supposedly La Lechusa's husband cheated on her, and she now takes revenge against men traveling late at night because she thinks they are leaving their mistress's house. Anyhoo, that's the legend this story most reminds me of.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
rosy722,
We have heard of La LLorona here in Tucson also. But in our legend she is usually heard weeping and seen searching for her dead children by the banks of the Santa Cruz River. I don't recall her attacking people on bridges, but it could be part of the legend I haven't heard.
Great story about your Uncle Lolo's experience. How frightening it must have been for him. The scene that sticks in my mind is him stopping short and slowly turning around, only to find she was mere feet from him.
I am happy he was able to retrieve his trumpet. That is what makes it believable to me. No one is going to just throw away their trumpet off a bridge in the middle of the night and just leave it there!

Jav
reneespring (148 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
If it was night time, how could he tell her eyes were bloodshot?
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Madyrina Good guest! Now that I think about it, you never know! My grandfather has seen her before. Not a good experience either!
rosy722 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
madyrina, I don't know if it was la llorona. I believe that the apparition on the bridge is different to la llorona. In that small town where my story takes place there are people who have claimed to have seen and heard her. My grandfather told us many stories of persons who had encounters with la llorona. He (my grandpa) saw her once.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Vincent, according to the story it was night time and in the winter so the water would be very cold. In all the chaos leading up to a terrible death I imagine their would be some screaming as the boat was going down before they were in the water.

Champion
Vincent (10 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I guess it's no wonder those people drowned. Where's the logic in screaming when you need all that air to swim.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
the town I grew up in was built next to the cumberland river in Tennessee and was a trade route between Nashville and Gainesboro so there was quite a bit of traffic in the early 1900s on the river. A steam boat sank close to the bridge on highway 262 next to freestate road (google map) and a lot of people drowned. Many people over the years say that on certain nights that you can hear the people screaming that drowned there. Something about the water I guess that keeps the spirits trapped?

Champion
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Crybaby Bridge. Yeah I've heard of this story before, and so have others:
Http://backroadlegends.com/babies.htm

You're not the first, you won't be the last to 'report' this.
Madyrina (68 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
rosy722-great story. Do you think she could have been the La LLorona?
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
wow! I got chills just thinking of being there in his position! Ohhh heck no! I would of die of a heart attack! Thank you for sharing this story! And I'm glad he was ok and also that he got his trumpet back.
Thank you again! Great story!

😨
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Hi rosy722, thanks for sharing another story with us. I could imagine how scared your uncle must have been. I know I would have probably needed therapy after seeing and being chased by that. YIKES! 😲 I got the creeps 😨

[at] bacchaegrl, I was thinking the same thing about the trumpet LOL 😆 Thanks for letting us know he got it back rosy.
rosy722 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
bacchaegrl, thanks. No my uncle had one of my younger uncles go with him in the morning to pick up the trumpet.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Just reading the story send chills down my spine. I could only imagine what you uncle went though. I'm he was okay.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Good story, very well-told. Did your uncle have to go out and get a new trumpet? I'm very concerned about the trumpet situation. For some reason, bridges are very scary and haunted places. I don't know what it is about them, but there are a lot of ghost stories tied to bridges. Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: