You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandparents

Real Ghost Stories

Grandparents

 

On October 31, 1995, my grandmother died. I don't mean to attach any spooky nature with the date of her departure, I'm just providing the date. On February 19, 2008, my grandfather died, again, no special meaning of the date, simply stating the date. My grandfather's funeral was on February 23. After his funeral service at the church, we (family and friends) began lining up to follow the hearse to the graveside service. My mother and I were in a bit of a hurry to get to the front as I was one of the graveside pallbearers. As we took our spot in the line of cars, I saw an elderly couple waving at me, south across the street. This also is the direction of their house from the church; they lived just down the street, about a block.

The old man was unmistakeable to me as my grandfather, whom my mother and I had been taking care of for the past few months while we lived with him. I had known him all my life, and saw him every day while we lived with him. The woman beside him was harder for me to recognize, yet I knew the only woman who would be with my grandfather was my grandmother. It was hard for me to recognize her because I was two when she died, and I had only seen a few pictures of her. Other than being with the man I believe was my grandfather, a helpful feature of the woman was her cane and her prosthetic leg. She was diabetic and had one of her legs amputated below the knee. I honestly do not know which leg, I didn't ask. I did recognize her cane, I saw it every time I was at my grandfather's when I was younger, and when I lived with him before he departed.

After seeing this apparition, I felt that my grandparents were at peace finally, after being apart for twelve years, and I also felt that they didn't want me to mourn, but to be happy that they weren't hurting anymore. Both died of natural causes, my grandmother died of complications with her diabetes, and my grandfather died of cancer.

I know it isn't exactly polite to make jokes about the dearly departed, but a joke that I hear in my family now that my grandparents are together again is, "Now that Mom and Dad (or Grandma and Grandpa) are together again, she's probably kicking his butt with her good foot."

I believe that my grandparents appeared to me, or at least why my grandfather did, is that my he always said that he had three great--meaning good, he had several great-grandsons--grandsons, Michael (me), David, and Charlie (my grandfather's nickname for my cousin Garry Lee). I don't know if David or Garry Lee saw what I did or not, I never really thought to ask.

I know this isn't a "scary" story, but I figured I'd post it here anyway, to see if anyone has had similar experiences.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gheist, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gheist (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
One thing that I forgot to add to the story was an experience my mother had herself. Shortly after my grandmother died, my mother was asleep, and heard my grandmother's voice telling her, "Jana, Jana, wake up! It's time to feed Michael" Remember, I was two, almost three, at the time.
Gheist (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful comments. I was expecting to see a lot of skeptical comments, but instead was pleasantly surprised with such helpful replies. Keep 'em coming.😁
johntravis28 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-29)
sorry, that was supposed to read "such STORIES bring comfort"
johntravis28 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-29)
Hi. Thank you for this story. Such comforts bring comfort to those that have lost someone dear. I lost both my parents (my dad just in March) and it is comforting to think that I will see them again. And stories like this confirm that belief.

Thank you
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-29)
I think its a wonderful story. I always love hearing of loved ones returning to let a relative or friend know they are ok. It's and affirmation (sp?) for my experiences and brings a sense of peace to me. Bless you for posting and, lol the "grandma kicking grandpa's butt" ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
GHEIST this is a sweet touching story, thanks for sharing 😊
Like cosmogal says a ghost story does not have to be scary to be accepted as a post on here, trust me a lot of people will enjoy this one.

Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
Gheist, thank you for sharing your story with us. Ghost stories don't always have to be scary. You will be surprised how a couple of people on this site including myself enjoy hearing about kind and helpful spirits. I believe you were very lucky to see your grandparents together again and happy. This was a very sweet story. 😊
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
Hey gheist, that story was really touching. I do believe that sometimes after a person passes, their spirit may come back to give a person some peace of mind that they are okay and at peace. And to see your grandparents reunited that sounds very comforting and uplifting. It makes me feel like even death can't break true love in the end -corny I know.

I have had some experiances sort of like that. I work at a retirement home and I get to know the residents and get attached, so it is hard when they pass. But sometimes I'll have dreams about them right before or right after they pass. Recently I got to work one morning and as I parked I suddenly felt this sigh of relief, like a weight had been lifted. I didn't really understand it at the time, but later on in the morning I learned that a resident I knew rather well had died earlier. He was a resident who had been saying he could 'feel death coming' for weeks and now he's at peace.

I think when spirits of people we love do give us some sort of sign that it is kind of rewarding in a way.:)

Thank you for sharing your story:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: