You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Man In The Cabinet

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Cabinet

 

This isn't exactly my experience, or really an experience at all. It's more of a story I heard from my grandma that I'm curious about. That may seem a bit confusing, so I'll start from the beginning.

I first heard that my grandmother's house was 'haunted' (more like had an entity present rather than haunted) while on the ride back to her house with my three other cousins and my grandma at the wheel. I'm not quite sure how the conversation of ghosts or paranormal came about in the car ride, but my grandma is in her 70's and I figured she had to have some ghost experiences to tell. So, I asked her, and she responds with something along the lines of:

"Oh, haven't I ever told you guys about the man in our house?"

Of course, I was baffled. My grandma has been living in her house in Eugene for around 9 years. I have been spending an average of 2-3 weeks overnight there every year since I was around 7. How could've I not noticed that there was a ghost in the house this entire time, even since I was a child? That was exactly my sentiments, therefore I badgered my grandma for details.

During the entirety that my grandma and grandpa had been living in that house, she said that both of them have seen a "Tall, skinny man's reflection" in the large china cabinet that took up about half of the wall in the back family room, connected to the garage. She said that he was a little transparent, but not enough to distort many of the details, and that she would just see the reflection as if he was walking past the cabinet.

I haven't done any research-- and maybe I should, but it gave me the heebie-jeebies the entire week I stayed there. I never looked at the cabinet for the fear I would get a glimpse of him, and even more was I insistent that the blinds were fully shut when we sat down for movie night in that back room. I guess you could say that I don't go seeking paranormal experiences.

Now the thing that I'm so curious about isn't that. When my grandma had told us all this, I responded with pretty much what I stated in the previous paragraph, something like:

"Gosh, now I'm scared to sleep at your house."

My grandma laughed at this and quickly reassured me with exactly what I'm wondering about:

"Oh, don't worry! Seems you [pointing at my cousin] scared him away!"

The cousin she pointed at had lived in my grandparent's house for about 1 year while my grandparents were on a mass road trip in their motor home around the states. It was my cousin, her older sister, her younger brother, her mom (married in) and her dad.

My grandma stated that has not she, nor anyone else, seen this "tall, skinny man" since, and it's been about 3 years. So, what I'm wondering is why? Or how? Or is it even possible?

Perhaps he didn't like my bi-polar, alcoholic uncle? Or maybe he was only there because he enjoyed my grandparents and felt that if they were gone, so was he? Or maybe it has something to do with the energies of my cousins and their mom?

As far as their family goes, their mom immigrated here from Yugoslavia at a young age, if that really has any relevance (I only think so because there may be a history of something or another in the blood line). My cousin tells me that she has experienced many paranormal activities before, including marks, scratches, nightmarish dreams corresponding with marks, and visits. I think she is very sensitive to the paranormal, and thought that her whole family was therefore also sensitive.

But she says that she never saw this man in the china cabinet, so how could he have just disappeared? I don't really know much more than this, and am just curious for anyone's input on the matter. What do you think?

And I'm sorry this is so long haha (:

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tanamc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PandaBear (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Well great story for starters. And I don't really know what to say. I mean anything is possible really I guess:) but I doubt this "man" was trying to scare anyone at all or harm anyone either! You get what I'm saying? Even If he does come back, so what! Just ignore him and he'll go away! I have a book about ghost stories and in one story the family who were being haunted just completely ignored the ghost and it got bored and went away to haunt someone else I suppose good luck! ❤ 😆 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
Very interesting story here, tanamc. It's interesting that the Man in the Cabinet just disappeared after your Grandparents left on their trip. I don't know why he would've just gone, unless he was attached to your Grandparents. Did your Grandparents see the Spirit while they were on their holiday?
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
tanamc,

Thank you for the reply and the description of the room. It need not have been a reflection of an actual person... The mind has a 'trick' of piecing together images it doesn't recognize and putting them together in such a way that it looks familiar. There are big long technical terms for this but what it boils down to is if there was something outside... Even a couple or three somethings... Then there is a chance that your Grandparent's saw a reflection of multiple things but their 'Brain' connected the dots in such a way they 'saw' an image of a man. (I hope that makes sense)

It's the main reason I asked if they saw this 'image' at a certain time of day as the reflection would be affected by things like the position of the sun... Cloud cover... Trees blowing in the wind... All these things could effect the image and how/when it appears (appeared) in the cabinet.

I'm not saying there was no spirit, but all these things need to be 'ruled out' before the Paranormal can be considered.

Respectfully,

Rook
tanamc (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
Devious Angel- I don't think she was hesitant on telling us about her ghost experiences, because she went on to tell us about other story where she, my grandpa, my aunt and my aunts roommate had an experience. But I'm stumped as well as to how my cousin, or any of her family, never saw the man. Maybe he was up and outta there quick lol.

Rook- I don't know if the reflection was from something outside the home because the cabinet faces a wall on the other side of the room, and just adjacent to it is the wall connected to the garage. The only think that I can think of that could cause a false reflection is the fourth wall, which has a big window and a slider door-- except, that's to the backyard (which excludes a neighbor's reflection). So you may be right, but they saw him more than once or twice.

Thanks for everyone's input! I really appreciate it!
robertar (223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
No one suggested this so... Maybe the entity left with the visitors. A malevolent parasitic entity might have found them to be better hosts.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
tanamc,
One of the scariest things I can think of seeing is a reflection of someone that isn't there. So I can relate to how you felt about being in that room after hearing your grandma's story. If the guy is gone, like your grandma says he is, then maybe she's right about why he he left. To have a family move in after it was just your grand parents before, was probably too much for him and he moved on.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-29)
Not to throw a blanket on this but perhaps the man in the cabinet was a reflection from something outside the home and that while your Grandparents were on their Road Trip the thing causing the reflection was either moved, trimmed or pruned.

I'm not saying this is not Paranormal but based on the information given, and given well...😁... It's very hard to determine if this was really Paranormal in Nature. If all your Grandparents ever saw was this 'reflection' of a man and nothing else ever happened...

If you get the chance ask your Grandmother if they always saw this 'man' during a certain time of day.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
An excellent telling of your grandma's story! Do you think it possible that your grandma might have told you this story to spook you out of asking her about paranormal stuff again? If your cousin is a sensitive, I think it is definitely odd that she never saw him. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps he really was, as you and others suggested, attached to your grandparents and only appeared to them because he trusted only them. It sounds to me like he was a rather shy spirit, perhaps maybe a very shy man in life.
DogLover6232 (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
Did any of your grandparents have like a cousin or some close family or friends that passed away? You're probobly right, that man had a connection with your grandparents. Either way, he didn't seem to mean any harm. So, I wouldn't worry about it if he comes back.
Sorry I wasn't much of help,
❤,
DogLover6232
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
he may have built that china cabinet or worked really hard to purchase it as a gift for his wife or something like that. Its funny how some spirits are attached to a certain object or certain people. Thanks for sharing your story!
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
I think you're absolutely correct. The man in the cabinet probably had a conncetion with your grandparents of some kind. The guy probably didn't like the change of company and moved on. He could still be with your grandma in one way or another. However, your grandma seems to be right, he was scared away. I would be a little creeped out about the story as well. But it seems that now you have nothing to worry about. He seems to be gone.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: