You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Prolonged Anklet Jinglings

Real Ghost Stories

Prolonged Anklet Jinglings

 

I've grown up in several places in India owing to my father's profession in the Indian Defence Forces. As part of his postings, I would see newer places every three years or so until his retirement almost a decade ago.

What began in the summer of 1995 was something I've yet to find an explanation of.

I was a kid back then and used to sleep in between my parents or sometimes next to either of them.

One sweltering night, I lay awake as my parents dozed off peacefully. As I lay awake, I kept looking at the dark corridor that opened out of the door that was ajar. I suddenly started hearing the jinglings of an anklet, as if there was an Indian classical dancer performing in the dining room. I've been humble in my nature but I'm convinced that I've a strong memory and recollecting power right until about 4 years of my age. Hence, I can safely say that it was not an illusion/delusion/figment of my imagination. Infact, the jinglings were near perfect in their rhythm and would change in the musical structure after about 3-4 minutes. I lay rapt in attention and frozen in horror while my father and mother slept peacefully.

Curious I was, and so I gently crept out of the bed and start walking towards the source of the sound. As I grew closer, I paused for a while to think whether it could be the sound of the crickets, those insects that noise about at nights. But this was purely discernable and yes, haunting. When I reached the intersection of the hallway and the dining room, I tuned my ears to realize it was actually coming from the verandah, right outside.

Ours was a duplex building and we stayed at the ground level. The verandah was to the right of me and its view was blocked by the curtains that adorned the windows that oversaw it.

As I moved closer to the verandah, I felt like taking a peek from behind the curtains. But my fear overcame me. What I could notice though that the moon was out and its rays were breaking through the curtains. As the patterns kept changing and grew louder, I could barely contain my fear. I slowly walked back and crept into the bed.

That was 1995. As we kept changing locations, I had similar experiences, this time right in the hallway. This continued until 2007 when I finally starting my profesional life.

One thing worth pointing out is that during the course of these years, whenever I heard these sounds, it was only me who was wide awake, silent and observing.

I've heard it even while pursuing my under-graduate studies in a new city, away from my home. To compound it further, I've even heard it at my training facility in another city.

And yes, I'm perfectly sane with psychological disorders.

I have never been able to explain this.

Other hauntings by bigindigo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bigindigo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rini (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-12)
I was surprised to read this story which was posted in 2011. This reminded me of my experience. I had a very similar experience there are lot of things in common infact. I remember lot of things from childhood and this was my first paranormal kind of experience, that is what I feel.
So it was in 1998, I used to sleep beside window with my parents sleeping next to me. One night I was sleeping facing my left ear towards window. Everyone were asleep it was around after midnight my eyes got opened because of this strange anklet noise. I could hear it soo clearly that I was scared to look at the window. It felt like someone was walking beside window. The noise kept dimmer as if someone walking far and the used to become loud. That day I convinced my self it could be insect. But then things started becoming creepy.

After that day I started hearing the same noise at night around same time, weird part was I used to only hear in my left ear only, so started to sleep keeping my right ear facing towards the window. This noise started to drive me crazy. I could not tell my mom she would not believed. One day I was alone in the house, my house my was a 2 bed small quarter. I was in the first room and it was afternoon time, I started hearing the same Chan Chan Chan (anklet noise). When I used to close my ears the sound used to vanish. I got so frustrated that I decided to see who was making it. I started to check rooms in the house but found nothing.
I got so angry that I straight away went outside the house and looked around and shouted who is it and stop bothering me. I could not see anyone around it. The fact that I was hearing it in the day light and nothing was there physically scared the shiat out of me. I quickly ran into the house. This continued for a long time I told my mom and she made me sleep away from window but the sound did not stop. We later moved from the house and the city since my dad got transfer. After that I never heard any anklet noise and wish not to hear again. I am not sure why that happened but the weird thing was I was only hearing it in just left ear.
This was the beginning of such experiences in my life.
Has anyone experienced the same. Till date I never got answers for what was that.
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-11)
did you investigate the case later or ever, for that matter?
gcreddy (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
Me and my sister have experienced this many times during our childhood. Whenever I stayed late in the night for studies, I used to hear it. It was so common an occurrence for me. And I'm pretty sure that it isn't some some sort of insect or something. It was very clear. It was, like you said, an Indian classic dancer moving around with her anklets. Once we woke up our dad and even he heard it. But he just told us to ignore it and go to sleep. I was never able to figure it out. I'm a sane person and very much a science guy. So it's not like I'm making it up. Whenever I mention it to somebody, they give that look as if I'm out of my mind. May be they just don't want to come out of their cocoons. All those years we've heard the sound coincided with our best years in terms of academics (for us children) and financially (for parents). I just hope I can find some clue in our ancient scriptures or somewhere else.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
I am really curious as to why you waited for so long and did not seek help from somebody? I could understand if the experience was limited to a certain house, but it seems to have followed you for years.

The least you could have done was to confide in your parents or siblings or a friend... Maybe then they could have given company to you to find out if they also hear the same sounds...

Or you could have had some pooja or ritual done to get rid of whatever was pursuing you, though in this case, it seems to be benign as it did not cause any harm to you... But dude, if I was as scared as you, I would definitely do something about it, rather than suffer silently.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
bigindigo- I know what your talking about when you say you don't want to be the evening joke! Thats why I'm on this website because I would never discuss these things with anyone because the times I have people give you that look, You know the one I'm talking about!

Champion
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
geetha50 -
Answer 1:The feelings were of fear but intense excitement at the same time. I felt drawn but at the same time knew my age (9 years) to be my temporary limit then.

Answer 2:I took years to overcome my fear of the dark. I remember resolving around age 15 to beat that fear and so used to spend nights alone in my room to see what was so frightening about it.Soon,i did not have any fear. By that time, when the sounds re-appeared,i used to see where it would be coming from, but see nothing at all.

Answer 3:You are right, but I guess I never let them know as I thought they would take it to be the cultivation of an imaginative mind. I knew I did not want my experiences to be the evening jokes, so kept them at bay.

I myself am an atheist but have always kept my mind open because anything mysterious attracts me.

About your uncle,wow,let me know about it... Seems very interesting.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
I got three questions for you:
(1) I believe that it's only nature to feel fear for the unknown but what sense of feeling did you get from this experience. In one of your posts, you said that it felt like it was luring you. Did that luring feeling ever give you a feeling of not wanting to be there or a feeling of peace.

(2) In your story, you mentioned that you never got the courage to look though the curtains to see if anyone or something was there. As the years when by and you experience this, did ever look to see if anything was there?

(3) Finally, did you ever tell your parents or anyone else? I don't father but being a military father, he would consider that nonsense talk. I made the comment because something similar happened to an uncle of mine and his father being a military man was a strict man and wouldn't stand for any nonsense. The thing my uncle saw ended being a mohini and his mother was the one who helped get rid of it.
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
pandabear,thanks for the insight.I'm mentally fine 😁...i don't know how the energy would be related,i'm quite an amateur in this...though,as a side-info,I'm a Scorpio, number 9,if that helps in any astrological explanation.
PandaBear (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Wow! Cool story! But also quite creepy too! I don't know what to say to you but maybe you are just hearing things maybe your mind is playing tricks on you! Or it could be a ghost maybe drawn to your source of energy. Maybe? Xxxx ❤ ❤ ❤
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
hey champion, appreciate your time going through the story. We never had any history of classical dancers in our lineage. With Indian classical dancers, the feet are stomped in carefully co-ordinated movements. So yes, the rhythm of the tinklings are always in a patter. Something like the dance music samples;they may vary in tempo but they are always in some pattern.

The troubling part was when I would hear the tinklings which hinted at someone walking and not dancing, especially up and down the hallways.
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
I grew up exposed to a lot of cultures and I as I kid we watched a lot of Indian movies, and not just Hindi Bollywood. I really liked the dances with the anklets and I remember my cousin used to imitate the dancers while I pretended to be a drummer... Which links to your story because if I heard what you heard, I'd be pretty freaked out, too.

I am not sure how I feel about the idea of 'guardian angels' but your story shows me that there are perhaps benevolent spirits that follow a person for whatever reasons. Maybe one day it will show itself in other ways to you.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
bigindigo- I'm not familiar with your culture but always trying to learn so I have a question. Is dancing with the ankle bracelets as the rhythm normal or would it be accompanied with other musical instruments and did you ever inquire about the lives of ancestors you may not know of. Perhaps one of them was a dancer and maybe your guardian. Loved your story!

Champion
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
zzsgranny - thanks for going through it... There is another typo 'started' instead of 'starting' but I guess I was too much in a rush to share to this episode.

I never had any premonition neither a feeling of some good vibes whenever it was occurring. I just felt there was something there trying to lure me...

Otteer-thanks sir... I just tried putting as non-dramatically as possible. I guess the greatest fear is that of the unknown, which is what I was feeling.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
I could hear the jingles as I read the story! I don't know of an explanation for it, would be pure speculation but, it would be nice if it was a past relative or past life love watching over you.

Thanks for the story! ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
bigindigo: Thank you so much for clearing that line up! 😆...I read it about 4 times while editing, and decided that if the word "no" should be there, you'd let us know! 😆...

I agree with Jave, nice to know there's someone pleasant following you... It really must be something to hear 😊...When you hear the anklet tinkling, do you take it as a sign or omen of something good happening, or change etc?...

Thanks for posting!
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
thanks javelina, i don't know. I used to get freaked out with this, may be you are right...

Guys,there is a minor typo...
Its "no psychological disorders"...missed the no 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
bigindigo,
Oh my! This is such a beautiful story. I'm wondering if this might be a guardian or even a relative from long ago, keeping you safe and bringing you positive energy.
I know that I would be humbled to have something or someone like that following me through life.
How fortunate for you. I feel nothing but good energy could accomplish what you have been witnessing all these years.
Thank you for sharing this story here. I feel happy for you.

Jav ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: