You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Asleep At My Feet

Real Ghost Stories

Asleep At My Feet

 

A little over nine months ago, I had a strange experience while I was attempting to sleep in my and my mothers new apartment. No one I know has really been able to give me an answer as to what I experienced and its been bugging me since it happened. I was hoping that someone on here could help me out. What happened was that while settling in under my covers, I felt something heavy jump up onto my bed, and spin around as though preparing to lay down. It was much like a cat or dog does before they lie on a pillow or something.

Now I didn't really think much of it, cause I've had cats since I was 3 and my cat in her old age had put on some weight. Also she had a nightly routine of sleeping at my feet, right where I felt the pressure. However, as I lay there (I was laying on my side facing away from the spot) I realized that it was taking a rather long time to settle down. I was a little confused because I didn't believe that my cat had gained that much weight, and had spontaneously grown to the size of a small dog. When I say small, I just mean it was probably the size of a 6-8 month old puppy.

None the less, I had assumed it was my cat, but when I looked, the pressure left and nothing was there. No cat, no indent in the covers, just nothing. When I reached my hand over I didn't feel anything off about the air either. The strangest part however, was the return of the pressure when I once again turned away. Later (or prior, it was kind of awhile ago so I can't say exactly) my cat had me freaked out a few times in the general area, she would sniff and jump back a few times before leaping of the bed (I was scared it was a spider). As I'm sure you can guess, no spider, what she was sniffing at I have no idea, but it couldn't have been bigger than a mouse.

I had never (haven't since either) experienced something like that, at least, not to that magnitude. I do remember however, that about 3 years prior, when I lived in my great grandmothers house, I felt something similar. What I felt when I was at my grams was more like a snake, slithering along the edge of my legs. It would start at my ankle, and go until about my mid-thigh. It was a very slight pressure and it almost seemed like it was on repeat. It would happen almost every night, unlike my experience written above, so I got used to it (still kind of freaked me out, but my cat wasn't frightened and that made me calmer about it). After while it stopped, and then some months later (I don't remember how many) it came back, only this time it had individual steps. Its feet where about the size of the average cat, but it walked in the same pattern and spot as the slithering.

After the apartment, I moved with in with my aunt, and would occasionally feel a small pressure, but it was softer and barely noticeable. I've moved once more since my aunt, to my current location and haven't felt anything since. I don't feel afraid when it happens/happened, just shocked (momentarily) and more curious.

I feel as though the experiences are connected, but I don't see how. Can spirits grow or change size? I still don't have a clue as to what it was, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghost-paintings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghost-paintings (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
taz890:

Um...thanks? Haha

Redphx:

No, my cat is more of a 'let the spider walk all over me' kind of cat... She doesn't even go after mice or anything...
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
i think you were experiencing an animal energy. They are docile usually and it could have been someone's pet. What you do need to be aware of tho is your cat is never going to jump away from a spider. Cats eat spiders. If you are looking at your cat and she is staring off into one spot at if watching some dramatic scene unfold and not moving then you probably have a spider.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
i love these kind of stories 😁
Pets popping back to let you know there ok,
A spirit animal being drawn to you.
It does sound like you might have the gift to attract the spirits of animals, personaly I think that is so cool!

Enjoy the experiences
Carl
ghost-paintings (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
bacchaegrl:

No, I don't have any physical ailments such as that, I can usually sleep through most nights without even moving once. Also I've never had a history of something like that. Plus I think that if I told my doctor something like this, it wouldn't go over so well...

Luvparanormal:

It does help, and other have come to a similar conclusion as you, that its was a past pet, or some random animal spirit that was drawn to me. The more I hear it, the more reassured I am that its something like that.

-Thank you both, ghost-paintings
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Thanks for sharing your story!
I have a question for you, have you had a pet that you were close to that is no longer living? When we have pets that were close to us, for some reason they tend to come back. Whether it be because they had a very close relationship with them.

Here you will find that a lot of people that had cats, dogs or any animal that was close to them come back. It can be scary at first, but if you pay close attention they will follow same paterns that they did when they were alive. For example: if you had a cat that used to love to lay at your feet when you were in bed, then the cat's spirit (let's call it that) will do the same.
Another thing that could be happening is that you might be a person that animals dript to, even if they are no longer here.

Hope that helps a little

Luv
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Just an alternate theory here: Since the events are very similar and localized, perhaps it is a physical condition? Just wondering if you have restless leg syndrome or something odd like that. That probably isn't the case, but have you talked to any medical professional about it? Animal sprits are great, but their may be another explanation.
ghost-paintings (1 stories) (4 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
everyone:

I just want to thank you all for your input, I had never thought about having an affinity to deceased animals, but its kind of makes since. I've always loved and gotten along with living animals, why not deceased ones as well? And it really makes me glad that I'm not the only one that this happens to. 😊 Thank you all again,

Ghost-paintings
sussieq (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
I have also had this same experience. I had two cat, a Maine Coon, and a Calico. My Mom and I had to put them down due to sickness. Shortly after they passed, I would notice, a feeling as if a small animal had jumped onto my bed and was walking the length of my legs. This would happen almost every night, and each time I reached down, there was nothing there. I too, believe you just have an affinity for animals, whether alive for passed over. Thanks for your story, it's good to know there are other people with similar experiences to my own. 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
ghost-paintings,
I personally, believe that some people have an affinity with animals that even they may not be aware of. Because of this, animals spirits may find their way to them when they are in that animals area of existence, be it spiritual or live.
Your first account would suggest it to be a small dog or puppy. The second, and I'm just guessing here, may have been a pet ferret, considering the way you explained it's movements felt by you.
I hope this helps. Thank you fop sharing your story.

Jav
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
I have read stories of people who can see animal spirits. It is possible that you are a becon for animal spirits and, they present themselves to you when its rest time. Feel blessed that you have been given this gift and comforted that you are never alone! Your fat cat however, may not like the puppies or small dogs that like to cuddle with you lol!

Xx thanks for the story, makes me feel better as I had a spectral cat (I think it was one of my deceased cats) jump up and curl up to me but vanish when I reached out to push it away (I was getting hot and thought it was one of my own cats). ❤
ghost-paintings (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
swimfreak1298:

I've never had another fat cat except the one I have now, who's still alive, but I did have a maine coon once, and I know they get pretty big... But she was rather average sized. Also, we've never had any small dogs, we're a big dog kind of family.

I appreciate your ideas though, I'll have to think harder and see what I can remember, if I think of something I'll tell you. I'm having a hard time right now thinking of an animal that could have been that size.

Also, I wouldn't mind one bit if you used my story for your presentation.
swimfreak1298 (2 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2011-07-30)
I'm creating a presentation on ghosts and your story helps proves some of my theory's. But I can definetly help with your problem. Think back to a fat cat you had that has been dead for some time now. That cat is just following you probably because it was very attached to you. If you didn't have a fat cat that is dead, then it could be a fat cat or small dog from one of your past lives or one of your family members pet that was very attached to you. If it is okay with you, I would very much appreciate it if you would let me use your story for my presentation and by the way, interesting story! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: