You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Female Voices, An Apparition, Black Orbs And More

Real Ghost Stories

Female Voices, An Apparition, Black Orbs And More

 

For varying reasons and purposes, I've lived in 9 different locations over the past 14 years. I finally got a bit of a break from moving when my wife and I moved into our current home in 2005. I lived in Grafton (part of Yorktown, VA) with my parents from 1984 to 1997. I can only imagine what might have happened before we moved into that house. We bought it from a family that had 2 children; a son and a daughter. Anyway, I say, "I can only imagine," because a lot of bad things happened in that house while we were there; though the vast majority of them were not paranormal - to my knowledge. I had often felt negative "vibes" in that house. I rarely felt scared and can't say for certain that I ever saw anything. There were a few occasions where I thought I saw a shadow, usually about the size of a cat, out of the corner of my eye. However, I'm not going to say that it was definitely something paranormal.

The only thing that sort of gave me a creepy feeling sometimes was the attic. It was a plain attic with a pull-down door and stairs. I had no problem going up there while others were around. It didn't look creepy. There would be times though while I was lying in bed (day or night) and I'd just get this strong feeling that something was up there. Something that was either sitting right on top of or near the pull-down door. This door, by the way, was in the ceiling just outside of my room. I was 13 (almost 14) when we moved into this house and I continued to get these feelings off and on for several years. I just thought of this... That hideous creature that I saw an "image" of (see my story What's In The Name) could have been what was in the attic. As I implied above, I never saw or felt anything unusual when I went up there to either put something away or bring something down. It was only at times where I was in my room and the attic door was shut.

I lived in an apartment in Newport News, VA from 1997-1998. I never saw anything there, but I would occasionally get this creepy feeling when I was in the shower. A feeling as if I were being watched. Aside from that, nothing unusual happened. After that, there were several years and several homes where nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Then, after moving back to Newport News, VA from Fort Lauderdale, FL a second time, we were renting a house less than a mile away from where my mother-in-law lives. This was 2004 and, at that time, my wife got up and was often gone by time I got in the shower. On this particular morning, she had left early. I remember my alarm clock had gone off at least once. I usually hit snooze a few times. It was after sunrise and I was lying in bed on my stomach. Suddenly, I heard a female voice call my name. It was as if she were in the same room because she spoke in a normal tone. I was too lazy to get up and check things out at that moment. However, I did get up after my alarm went off again. I took a look around the house. As I suspected, there was no-one there except me. You are probably thinking, "You just fell back asleep and didn't realize it. You were dreaming." Keep reading!

As I said, we moved into our current house in 2005. The next event occurred in either 2005 or 2006. The days kind of ran together then because I had a long period of unemployment. I was lying in bed one day and, again, I heard a female voice call my name. It sounded like the same voice I heard in the other house. It also spoke in the same tone as if it were in the room with me. This time, I immediately got out of bed and asked my wife, who was downstairs, if she had called me. She, of course, said, "No." Fast forward to 2010... I was lying in bed - asleep this time - and a different female voice called my name! This voice sounded more Hispanic. Although the timbre of her voice was different, she spoke in the same tone as the other voices. In other words, as if she was in the room with me. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea earlier that year. Looking back, I strongly believe that "she" thought my life was in danger. I had probably stopped breathing for several seconds. I even mentioned this notion to a friend who believes in spirits. He seemed to agree that she was concerned and, thus, woke me up. The most recent time I heard a female voice call my name it sounded like my mother. The kicker is that she was about 800 miles away at the time! No, she was not on the phone and no-one was conversing with her by other means or listening to a voicemail. I was fully awake this time. Oddly, I don't recall what I was doing, but I wasn't in bed. I have seen my mom since as we just returned from visiting my grandmother in FL. My mom was there too.

Also in 2010... I don't recall the exact time. It was likely between summer and fall. I was unemployed at the time. It was early afternoon and I was taking a nap. I was awakened abruptly by a loud voice. A voice that I immediately recognized as that of an elder cousin. I opened my eyes and saw him as he was entering my bedroom. He woke me up as he was saying, "David Lawrence! What the heck do we got going on here?!" He always called me David Lawrence because his son is also named David. I guess he was surprised to see me sleeping at that time of day. I woke up enough to see him walk into the room and stand at the foot of the bed. He was wearing the type of clothes that he always wore. A button down shirt, a pair of slacks, a tweed sport coat, and an old-style newsboy cap. This was a man who was 82 when he died on Nov 30, 2007! Alas, being tired, I closed my eyes and went back to sleep. I guess that was a bit rude of me. I later invited him to come back, but I haven't seen or heard him since that day. His son, David, and I were once quite close. We're still on friendly terms. We just took separate paths. He now lives in Indiana.

Continued in part 2...

Other hauntings by TruthInDarkness

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TruthInDarkness, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
PhenoBarbiDoll - I've been wanting to get an EMF meter for paranormal investigations. I'd really like to get a team together. I'm looking for maybe 4 other people with varied experience. My only major requirements are that they are at least 25 years old and mature. I don't need people playing pranks or doing other silly stuff during an investigation. Once I get a team together, I'd tentatively plan on doing 6-8 investigations per year; maybe more if time permits.

D/A - it's possible that something is following me, but I haven't had these feelings in EVERY place. I can only confirm that I've had feelings that could be related to something paranormal in 4 of the 9 places that I have lived in the past 14 years. It's possible paranormal related things happened at the other places, but I can only be reasonably certain of 4.

I'd like to think it's a good, guardian spirit that has called my name. I cannot say that it's impossible for it to be a negative entity though. That's another reason I want to learn about astral projection and oobe in general. I figure that I might eventually become sensitive enough to see spirits and such without going oob. That will give me an upper hand since I will know both that something is there and what is there. With that information, I'll have some idea of what to do to deal with the spirit/entity. Even though it might occasionally scare me, I'd rather know that something is there and what it is than not know.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Back on topic, I have to agree that your problems could very well have been EMF related but somehow I do not think so. The fact that you had these strong feelings in each place you went kind of tells me that you have something that has followed you. Since it is not a particularly GOOD feeling, I am not inclined to think it was your mother or your cousin's father, though it may have been capable of mimicking voices to get your attention. Even if it was a negative entity, do you think it outside the realm of possibility that it might do something good to keep you alive, with your sleep apnea and all? After all, if something happens to the host, the parasite dies or has to find a new host. Was this entity negative, I cannot say... But that is my theory.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Honestly TID, you are not the only one who has experienced this. In this case, the best solution is to completely ignore the problem and pretend that it never happened and/or does not exist. Then it usually goes away, or at least finds someone else to harass.
PhenoBarbiDoll (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Uh...wow...18 posts and only two people actually responded to the story itself. Can't we all just get a long?! Lol 😜.

Anyways - pertaining to the story... As someone else mentioned, it sounds like your feelings could be due to high EMF's in the house which can cause uneasy feelings, dizziness, disorientation etc. I would either buy an EMF reader yourself and investigate or better yet hire a professional person/team to investigate to make sure that is or isn't what is going on and maybe even validate what 'is' really going on in the process before you proceed to other solutions. As for hearing voices - your theory sounds plausible and that's awesome you got to see your family member in such a beautiful and non-scary light! Too bad you were too tired to communicate 😜 - would've loved to known what happened.

It's safe to say it doesn't seem like your experiences (from what I've read here...haven't looked at your other stories or the continuation of this one yet) are negative in anyway so I don't think you have too much too worry about. It sounds like you may just be a bit sensitive to the supernatural and that may be it.

I'm going to have to read your other stories to find this story about an image of a hideous creature as that peaked my interest. So I'll get to that as soon as I can. Well good luck to you!
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Haha! I don't know! Looks like someone is on a down vote rampage on this page. That is pretty rude. But your reaction was funny.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
OK. Who's the jerk that gave me minuses for comments under my own story? And who also had the audacity to give Daz a minus?!
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
This is slightly off topic, but I think it's appropriate since I'm commenting under my story.

I have recently made a lot of updates to my profile and expanded it quite a bit. I think it's well worth reading as I have non-psychic skills that can help people.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
generalchaos - Thanks for the comment. I've read about high EMF in a few comments lately. That's possible, but I have no way of confirming or denying that. I suppose another thing you can ask is that was it, in fact, bad wiring causing the high EMF?
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Yikes! My first thought for the home in which you were bothered by the attic (as well as the home in which you were bothered while in the shower) is that perhaps they had high EMFs from poorly insulated electric wiring?
I'd hate to think about that near a shower (the water... Could be bad...) but it's possible something was a little "off" with the wiring in the ceiling of your bedroom or the doorway of your bedroom.

The other stories - well, wow. I have nothing to say except wow.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Yeah thanks mate, I saw both my Dad and mum considerably younger... I know there are some world famous mediums who have said, that you can look what ever age you want and that was after I saw my parents younger or at least my father from memory... Always looking for validation I am, thus why my curious mind in asking.

Cheers mate.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
He pretty much looked the same for as long as I knew him; which was most of my life. To me, he never really looked as old as he was. At least not once he turned about 60. I'd say he looked about 60 for most of the remainder of his life. Unfortunately, the last few years were not very good.

I guess the bottom line is that he looked how I always remembered him. That's probably the way he felt I'd be most comfortable. I might not have recognized him if he appeared as a child or young adult. Does that answer your question?
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
TID...Did your older cousin look 82 or did he look younger, just curious mate, because I believe we can look what ever age we want when we pass... And if he did look older, do you think he was the type of man that considered himself an elder and would feel more comfortable about his appearance that way?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: