You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Ghost in our Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost in our Apartment

 

My friend and I had moved into our apartment in Spokane and were really excited about it. It was a historic building (built in 1904) and was one of the first hotels in town. It had been bought by a company who restored it and we loved living in a building over 100 years old.

For the first few months, we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Then one day my roommate told me that she had something weird happen. She said that she laid down in bed and she felt someone shaking her. Her room had no windows and so she frantically turned the light on and nothing was there. We brought up the possibility of a ghost, but I remembered that she has a history of being a very deep sleeper and often has vivid dreams. I was sure she was just dreaming and left it at that. I had slept in her room a few times before (since it was so dark) and hadn't had any problems at all.

A few months later I decided to take a nap in her room since my room was bright. I laid down and fell asleep. I awoke to a heavy weight baring down on my chest and shoulders and someone whispering in my ear. I couldn't make out what they were saying... Only a few words here and there. I was able to move and jumped awake, absolutely terrified and turned on the light. Nothing. I am pretty skeptical and just figured that although I hadn't ever had an experience like that, it MUST have been a dream. I laid back down and fell asleep again.

I was awoken again by the same thing not long after. The same pressure on my chest and whispering. I could make out the word "you" and it was being said frequently but I couldn't catch the rest. I jumped up again and turned on the light. Once again, nothing. I was a little more scared this time but still wanted to believe it was just a dream. So I nervously made myself get back in bed and fall asleep.

Not long after that, I woke up to the pressure on my shoulders and the whispering. Only this time it was angrier and louder. I flew out of bed and vowed to never again sleep in her room again. I was troubled by this and talked to my roommate. We both weren't sure what to do but she didn't seem afraid. So she continued to sleep in her room. For the most part, she never had issues.

Not too long after, she said that she had gotten into bed again and she heard a loud hiss and something shoved her in bed. She was so afraid she slept on the couch.

One day, I was cleaning my room and had my bedroom door open. It was the in the summer and our apartment didn't have air conditioning so all of the windows were open. I was folding clothes on my bed and saw a man in an old, dark, heavy coat standing in my doorway. I was so startled that I screamed. But he disappeared in an instant. I ran to the hall, wondering if someone had climbed through the window and no one was there. I searched the apartment and nothing. I thought it was odd he was wearing such heavy clothing on such a warm day and noticed that he had disappeared right before my eyes. I suddenly thought, "WOW, maybe I just saw a ghost".

The last time I had a strange "encounter" was a few months later. I had just gotten a dog (he was a sweet stray that I couldn't say no to). He liked to sleep in my room by my bed. I woke up in the middle of the night for some reason and saw my dog alert and looking in the doorway. I looked in the doorway and saw a dark figure of a man, also looking like he was wearing heavy clothes. Then he was gone. I woke up my friend who was staying over and we once again looked around for any sign of an intruder. Not surprisingly, we found nothing.

That was the last my roommate or I ever had anything out of the ordinary happen. I've told a few people and they all seem to believe that the dog scared our ghost off. I don't know for sure what happened, but all I do know is that is was really spooky. Like I said, I've never been a big believer and certainly never thought that I'd ever experience anything like this. I can't explain it and would like to believe that I'm not seeing things and crazy, especially since it's never been a problem in my 25 years until that apartment. We moved out a few months ago and someone else has moved in. I drove by the other day and wondered if they would ever have any similar problems.

That's my story... If anyone has any similar experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, melissamg222, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Justmerebeckie (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
I am the founder of SPS (Spokane Paranormal Seekers) and would be interested in knowing where this apt is located and maybe doing an investigation there. You can email me for privacy. I understand you don't live there anymore but maybe the current tenant would be interested. Let me know Ok? Great.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Spokane is full of old buildings everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised that some of them are haunted. I live 30 minutes away in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. I've even been shopping a few times and have seen some ghosts but it isn't frightening at all. Anything else happening in that apartment? Do you know the history of the building and has any of your neighbors experienced anything?

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-19)
It does tend to lend more credibility to them. The ones who have never had anything happen to them and then suddenly are thrust into a paranormal situation make some of the best witnesses. Even so, some will never become believers as they will find some way of explaining what happened to them. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-06-18)
I must admit I'm a fan of stories where the person isn't really a believer, it just gives more credibility to it than the "we were talking about ghosts when suddenly...". Gotta love the skeptics! But if they end up publishing a story on this site, they usually aren't anymore 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: