You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Shadow Dog, Doppleganger Or Astral Projection?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Dog, Doppleganger Or Astral Projection?

 

Hey everyone,

Every few months I visit this site out of pure interest to read others' stories but have never contributed my experiences. I have been interested in the paranormal and a believer since I can remember. Recently I have been reading a lot of experiences regarding Shadow People/Animals because I find them to be terrifying (the people experiences to be exact) and wouldn't know how to react if I'd seen one. Now to be honest, I completely forgot about this experience until now. Reading other stories has jogged my memory, I have seen a shadow animal.

When I hit my mid teens (I'm 24 now) I was coming to terms with certain aspects of my life that I felt I couldn't share with anyone. I started to become very depressed (I did this secretly though, no one knew). My brothers and I had begged to have a dog and they finally gave in. He was a border/bearded collie cross and we named him Raven. He was everything I ever asked for and we had "a man's best friend" relationship. I told him all of my secrets and I swear he would look me in the eye and I could see he felt empathy. It sounds a bit crazy but it's a strange read even now that I am typing it. Anyway, so I was about 14-16 years old and just my middle brother and myself were at home. My brother is a couple years older than me and by this time Raven was about 6 years old.

It was about 10 PM and I was in my room and my brother was downstairs playing video games. I decided to go join him and left my room and turned off my light. My room was the last one at the end of the hall and the only illumination down this hall was a lamp that was turned on in the living room. As I walked down the hall the next room I pass is my parents room where Raven usually slept. As I passed the middle of the doorway, I stopped dead in my tracks and felt compelled to look into my parents room. It was such an odd feeling.

When I looked into my parents room I could see a solid black mass, in the shape of my dog sitting upright and looking out of my parents bedroom window. It was weird, because there is a street light that supplied enough light in the room for me to see some colour in the room (duvet, jewelry etc) however my dog was all black. I didn't think anything of it so I called "Raven!" and it turned its head to look at me.

Didn't move. "Raven come on!" he still didn't move. I didn't feel scared, threatened or anything like that. It was just really strange. Anyway I didn't feel like I was being forced to stand there either so I just turned and made my way downstairs. I told my brother what happened and that Raven was acting really strange and he was like "uhh, Raven has been outside for the past hour..."

I ran upstairs, opened the back door and called out for him and he came out of his dog house and entered the house. I still wasn't scared, just releived to have him in the house. I was really confused though and just paid no attention. I am surprised that I actually forgot this happened!

To provide more detail: My parents bed is about 4 feet away from the window and is high enough that if you sat on the bed you could barely see out of the window. Why would he be positioned there? Also the first level of our house was raised so the window was about 8 feet from the ground so it's not like I could see him sitting outside on the ground or anything. Also I put doppleganger in the title because the shape of the black mass' body was the exact shape of Ravens (he had a distinctly small head with big, pointy goofy looking ears). My dog was mostly black with a white tipped tail, white paws and white neck. Was my dog astral projecting? Weird thought lol.

However, I'd like to add that sometimes at night and every morning he would poke his nose through into my room to check on me or wake me up (I would leave my door a bit ajar for this purpose). And we had to put him down because he had epilepsy and his medication couldn't control it anymore. I was at work when this happened and my parents didn't tell me. When I found out I had a massive breakdown. I cried for hours, I couldn't believe the only one I have ever confided in was gone.

For 2 weeks after he passed I could hear him walking across the kitchen floor, his nails clicking against the aluminum. It was so strange, but so comforting because I didn't get to say goodbye. After the 2 weeks I had a dream where he was talking to me saying he was okay and that he wouldn't be able to come back and visit me for exactly one month. The clicking sound stopped after that and exactly one month later I dreamt about him again and he told me he is alright and everything is fine.

I'm sorry for the length of this story, I intended to only write about the shadow part but the rest of it is really important to me as well. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RD32, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

RD32 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Hmm I've never heard of an echo before. I thought definitely shadow dog but the fact that it was shaped exactly like Raven (if memory serves me right) makes me feel like it wasn't a different entity. I'm leaning more towards echo or astral projection. He must have had a strong spirit/willpower to stay around me for so long after he passed. Thanks for the comments!
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
nothing strange about it, dogs have a way of feeling your emotions, they are mans/womans best friend for a reason. Good story!

Champion
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
interesting story thanks for sharing.
Is it possible what you saw was an "echo" a moment in time when raven had been sat looking out of the window and turned afer hearing something.
Just a thought to play with anyway.

I don't think its crazy to think raven would look at you with empathy, pets might not understand the words used but the tone of voice, the way you look to them and your scent will show them how you feel.

And I have said this so many times before but don't mind playing the broken record, a pet that knows it is loved and missed will get back if it can to let you know its ok and will be around.

Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
RD32, I'm so sorry you lost Raven, he sounds like such a loveable adoring pet. I have to say the thought did enter my mind about him astral projecting. So I guess that makes me weird too. LOL! 😆

I agree with Rook about Raven giving you time to deal with your grief so that he will be able to cross over.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 😊 ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
RD32,

I'm not sure what you saw that day... But the description you give is of an animal 'on watch' looking out the window for something so otteer may be on to something about it being a guardian spirit.

As far as hearing Raven after he'd passed...it's very possible he was unable to 'cross over' due to your distress... As you came to terms with it he was able to move on, and after doing so he chose to come back and watch over you as he had in life. There is a theory that having a dream about someone that has 'passed away' means they have 'crossed over' and then they may return by choice... If you haven't had a dream about them then something may be holding them 'earth bound'...though one should ask if anyone else close to the individual has had a dream about them before 'assuming' the worst...

It seems your pet loved you as much as you loved him and that even to this day may still be with you. Thank you for sharing and if you remember anything else please feel free to share it with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
I love this story, so sad you lost your best friend but so wonderful he was in your life. I don't know why but I get the impression your dog was sent to you from the powers that be, to help save your life. My impressions also tell me that shadow dog was your dogs guardian. I have no proof, no reason for this impression but that's what came to me immediately when I read this story. So, that's my opinion. I do know you where blessed to have him and, as a recipient of a ghosts cat's cuddles I do know ghost animals are about us.
Thanks for sharing... Hope I don't sound too much like a nutball! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: