You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Doppelgangers

Real Ghost Stories

Doppelgangers

 

Ive been reading a few stories on here and other sites about dopplegangers and have a couple that are to do with me.

The first doppelganger of which *I* am the doppelganger is short. My first cousin once removed, (my mothers first cousin), some 20 odd years older than me, as a toddler had a photo taken with her grandfather (my great grandfather) and years later, after I had passed toddlerhood, everyone (including myself!) would ask when the photo of me and big Pa had been taken! YES we looked THAT much alike (this is my mothers adoptive family so there's no biological connection whatsoever)

The 2nd happened when I was 17 and doing the rounds of local weekend country markets with my grandmother as stall holders as usual and with no access to public transport and no drivers licence (this will make sense when you read the story involved). As a point of note here in Victoria Australia you have to be 18 to be able to obtain a drivers licence.

We were at the our normal Sunday market as stall holders, in a town 35 minutes drive away by car, when I was serving a lady who asked me if I'd managed to get my washing done at the towns laundromat through the week. I replied that I hadn't been at the local laundromat through the week as all my washing was done at home. I also remarked that I had never been in a laundromat and didn't even know this town had one!

She was absolutely insistent that she had seen me there through the week. I explained that if I HAD any washing that needed to be done at a laundromat (doonas blankets and the like, we only had a small washing machine at the time) that I would not only do it at the nearest laundromat in a town only 15 minutes away from our home but I was unable to drive on my own as I only held a learners permit as I was not yet old enough to hold a drivers licence and that there was no public transport available.

She checked this with my grandmother who verified all that I had said was true. She was absolutely amazed and said that that she had been sure it had been me!

My cousin passed away of cancer (melonama) some 10-12 years after the instances involving the 2 of us occoured.

Other hauntings by Morticia1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Morticia1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Jav yep know exactly what you mean. Have heard of that happening myself. In fact a friend of mine, when we were teenagers (in the 80's,) found out what she thought was her sister was in fact her real mum. She was of course adopted by her grandparents. So it was still happening to some extent 20 years ago.

And as to family resemblance, mum has met some of her maternal family in the last couple of years. Her biological mother had 4 children all told, the 2 youngest adopted out. The brother that was also adopted out has started a family tree and so far not related to the adoptive family! 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Morticia1,
Here's why I asked about the family resemblance. And keep in mind, I'm not trying to suggest that this is the case in your family.
I have a cousin on my fathers side of the family that was adopted. It was common knowledge and no big deal. Up until about ten years ago when it was revealed that her real mother was one of our aunts, or my dads sister to be precise. She had gotten pregnant out of wedlock, and this was back in the 1950s, and was going to give the baby up for adoption anyway, so my aunt and uncle, who couldn't have children, adopted her. I'm not aware if this was common practice or not, but it took place in our family a couple of times. My cousin was really upset when she first found out, but that was because she had always been fond of our aunt and felt betrayed. But things finally worked out and all are happy now.
I just remember thinking "how did they find a baby that looked so much like the rest of us?" And now I know.

Jav ❤
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Jav there's no one else in the adoptive family that I know of that resembles the 2 of us so closely at that age. Biologically there are apparently some but I haven't any real interest in finding out (im weird like that lol)

I hope your sister comes through, its such a cruel thing cancer and I will prayer that she does pull through for her sake as well as the families.

As for the second incident, this market was one we attended every Sunday unless the weather was inclement (outdoor market) 😊 but no I never at any stage went to find out. The person may have only been a visitor to the town staying for a few days as Daylesford is a tourist town so there's a lot just passing through. I don't think I would have wanted to see my double lol! Though like you am fascinated with the thought that there's someone out there that looks just like me!

Theres definitely some truth to it, I mean we can't all look completely different. There has to be someone somewhere that at least resembles everyone somewhere 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Morticia1,
I don't know how in the world I missed this story. I always love the stories about Doppelgangers.
In the first instance, I of course thought it was family resemblance. Then you revealed that it was your mothers adoptive family. That really threw me for a loop. It is pretty amazing that there would be such a resemblance. Is there anyone else that resembles the two of you? Or are both of you unique in your appearances as it relates to the family.
I am sorry for your loss of your cousin, my sister is fighting cancer at this moment and it doesn't look good right now for her. When all you've got to give is love and support, the prayers are most important.
Now, the second incident. I don't know about you, but I know I would have to see if I could find that person. Just to see how close in looks you were. It would be driving me batty knowing there was someone out there that could pass as a twin. Did you ever go back and look once you got your license? Or did you work the stalls there again?
I've always heard that we all have a double out there somewhere. I don't know what that legend is founded on, but from some of the stories I've read here and elsewhere, I have to believe there's some truth to it, don't you?
Thanks for sharing,
Jav 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: