You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Not Too Scary Man At The Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Not Too Scary Man At The Window

 

This was the very first paranormal experience of my life time. It happened about 25 years ago when I was still at a pre-teen age.

I have been together with my grandfather, my grandmother and my aunt in their 70sqm apartment and it was quite late in the evening at about 9 or 10 PM something.

All of us were together in the living room watching TV, when I needed to go to toilet at some time.

So I left the living room, walked along the hallway which connects all the rooms of the flat (the living room, a bathroom, two bedrooms and the toilet) and entered the toilet which lies at the straight end of the hallway.

Afterwards when walking back, as usual I peeped into the two bedrooms when passing across. It's always been a little eerie for me (as a young child) to look into the dark rooms at night, but nevertheless I always was just curious to do so.

In the first room I saw the silhouette of my grandpa standing at the window with is torso resting on his elbows, silently watching the happenings outside the house - he always used to do this occasionally.

In the second bedroom (my sleeping room) there was nothing but darkness and the hallway light and the lights from the street were shining inside a little.

Now the scary part for me was; when I entered the living room again to join the family watching TV, all of them were present there; my aunt, my grandma AND my grandpa!

So the silhouette in the first bedroom had certainly not been my grandpa who has left the living room because he was bored by TV or something and I can definitely exclude the possibility of any imaginary trick played by the light sources or such, since every inch of that apartment - and the views inside the rooms when they were only dim lit - were most familiar to me.

So who was the person standing there at the window of my grand-parents' bedroom?!

Of course I did not dare to go back to check again because it gave me the creeps, but also I didn't care too much about it during the days afterwards.

It was not at all "scaring the s**t out of me", but it was definitely confusing and I never forgot that happening.

Now, when I think about this again many years later, I come to one strong conclusion about who this figure might have been;

Due to the fact that the whole situation was not frightening to me at all and that the image "being shown to me" was something that I was actually familiar with, I guess this must have been some "spirit" who was friendly (!) indeed (and most probably it might have been the "household-spirit" who remained there, as I found out/was told only years later).

He obviously only wanted to give me some sort of a hint like "hey, I am here too! Please be aware of my presence".

Remember, I have been at the age of around 7-8 years back then, so of course it would have been very easy to scare me; therefore I think (for a spirit) it was quite considerate to appear in a familiar apparition like this to a child - in addition, giving me the effect of actually realizing the whole happening only some time afterwards and in a very trustful surrounding (back in the living room) made the whole happening quite "convenient" to me!

As I mentioned above, there was a household spirit in that apartment, which I was told by my relatives only when I was a little older, at the age of about 15-18 or something.

After many "séances" and talks to him (years later and together with my family) we found out that he was indeed very friendly and also concerned about me. (which I will explain more detailed in further stories of mine)

Anyway, what do you think about that apparition at the window? Do you think my conclusions sound plausible?

I am eager to read your opinions!

Other hauntings by cecil04

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cecil04, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
great story cecil04 thanks for adding.
Agree with the others, sounds like a residual haunting.
Looking forward to your other stories
Carl
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Residual hounting or not, I liked your story. I liked the fact that you included your own theories and some of the history of how you came to arrive at your theories. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had a considerate spirit!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Residuals require enough energy to 'replay' and the conditions may not be right every single day year in and year out for that to happen. If there is not enough 'energy' then it won't 'play'. It also may explain some 'shadow experiences' as well... Not enough energy for the full replay... But enough someone 'see's' the 'shadow' of the event.

Then there are those 'events' that recur on an annual basis or on the anniversary of a major event that happened on a particular day. In the case of these there was enough 'energy' generated on that day, by those involved that the event is able to re-play on that day, at the time it was 'recorded'. Just a guess. 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
cecil04,
That's the mystery in all residuals to me. Why don't they do that every day? Why do they only show up now and then? That's why I love this topic so much. There is so much unknown about it, yet so many good theories. I love puzzles, and this is definitely one of those.
But the residual type of haunting is just as you were wondering. Everything just like the real person would do. But it's not really them, just a recording. Like a movie. A very short movie... 😆!
I don't know if we'll ever know why the image only plays back at certain times and not at others.

Jav
cecil04 (6 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
Javelina,
Thanks for that!

That's a really good point and I've also thought about that in times - a "living residual" that just "replays his standard habits"...

But what seems odd to me is that the silhuette was really exactly the same shape of my grandpa standing there in his gown, at exactly the same position as he usually did, and at exactly the same period of daytime he used to do so every once in a while!

There was no interaction whatsoever, which was somehow intersting as well - no turning around to realize my presence or similar, just looking out of the window.

But why did it happen only once and then never again?!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
cecil04,
Well, around these parts, we have another theory about who/what that might have been looking out the window of your grandfathers room.
We call it by different names, but basically it's more of a "Living Residual". The same principal as a residual haunting, where you see the image/ghost of a person who has passed on, but they don't interact with you. They are essentially, a recorded piece of time from that persons life that just keeps replaying the same actions repeatedly.
With a "Living Residual" the recording just goes into replay early, before that person has actually passed on. No interaction, just a piece of time. Something that person was known to have a habit of doing.
It's just a theory, but I think it's a pretty good one.

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: