You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Haunted Childhood Home: Doppelganger Type Entity

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Childhood Home: Doppelganger Type Entity

 

I lived and grew up in the same house from when I was two to seventeen years of age. I have had many experiences in this house that I absolutely believe to be paranormal. Previously, I believed that the experiences were caused by the fact that there was (and still is) a younger woman running a senior care centre from the house across the street. I would frequently see fire trucks and even coroner vans due to the ill health and death of those residents. My theory was that these seniors would pass away and wander around for a bit, stumbling across my house in the process. I thought this theory of mine was fairly reasonable. However, it is worth noting that I recently learned that the previous homeowners were affiliated with the mob. Whatever the reasoning may be, my parents and I have had our fair share of unexplainable encounters.

The house had three bedrooms: my room, my parents' room, and the computer room. My room was directly across from my parents' room, and the computer room was right next to my room. I really did not like the feeling of the computer room, and I would often run past it just so I didn't have to dwell in its presence longer than needed.

Ever since I was about 10 years old, I would hear typing in the computer room at night. I knew my parents were already in bed, but I would creep out of my room just to make sure it wasn't one of them. The computer room would be empty and dark every single time. The typing would always subside when I was in the doorway, and it would always continue the minute I went back to my room. It was certainly unnerving, but not compared to what I would face in the future. I would like to note that I did look into this matter logically. I tried to rule out any other sound the typing could have been, and I thought I found a solution when I heard my dad turn the page of a newspaper in his room. I thought that is what I'd been hearing all along and that I was just creeping myself out for no reason. However, when I experienced the typing noises when my dad was out of town, that explanation was ruled out for me. As I grew older, the computer room was a place I spent a lot of time in. Like any other teenager, I loved to be on the computer.

One afternoon, I was home alone. I was reading online about nothing in particular. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the shadow of a tall man with a top hat walk right past the computer room and disappear into my room. At this point, I had not visually seen anything paranormal in the house, so it was incredibly frightening to me. The room did not get colder and I did not feel any "good" or "bad" energy, but I am certain of what I saw. I continued with my reading and put it temporarily in the back of my mind. I was not aware of shadow ghosts at this point in time, so imagine my surprise when I stumbled across pictures and personal accounts of shadow ghosts online!

Another time, I was silly enough to read scary stories at night in the computer room. I was really enveloped in what I was reading, and I suddenly felt someone touch the back of my neck. I turned around to see absolutely nothing and no one, which sent my heart racing. The touch was cooler than the average human's, but it was not uncomfortably cold. That was the only time I had physically felt anything paranormal, and I am very thankful for that. It was also the last time I read scary stories at night in the computer room, as anyone might be able to guess.

The dining room of the house held two significant events over the years. I was lying on the couch watching TV one afternoon, and the remote fell off my stomach by itself. I certainly feel like that could have been, and probably was, gravity simple as that. It felt "off" to me, but I just let it go that afternoon. The reason for mentioning the remote is because my best friend was spending the night a few days later. It was dark outside, and we were sitting in the dining room talking. I told her about the remote falling off me, and something very strange happened. The handle for the blinds that opens/closes them literally flicked very hard against the blinds by itself. There was absolutely nothing that could have caused this. The air conditioning wasn't on, but would not be strong enough to do something like that anyway. It was not a tiny movement; it was a deliberate flick against the blinds. My best friend and I looked at each other with immensely wide eyes and agreed it would be best to go in another room.

For visual reference, the dining room was almost directly across from the living room, so much so that you could watch TV sitting at the dining room table if you were at the right end. Additionally, before I recall this part, I want to point out that the light switch for the dining room chandelier was like a knob where you could spin it to make different levels of bright and dim effects. Now that that's cleared up, my parents and I were sitting in living room watching A Perfect Storm. About a quarter of the way through the movie, the chandelier started to gradually get dim, brighter, and then turn off completely. All of us tried to ignore it, but it kept doing the same thing. It wasn't flickering, it was turning on, getting brighter, and then more dim, and so on until it went off. It kept turning on, changing to different levels of light, and then turning off. It was definitely creepy and all of us felt it. After a minute or so, my dad finally said, "Okay, whatever you are, we believe in you. Go away now." Even he sounded kind of unnerved, and that is saying a lot because he's 6'4" and an ex-football player; not to mention an incredibly practical person. The light antics kept going on for about 45 more seconds after my dad addressed whatever it was, and then they stopped completely.

When I was around 13 years old, I was sleeping in my room and woke up for a midnight pee. Obviously, I peed. The bathroom light was still on, and for whatever reason my eyes were drawn to the hallway. The hallway lead all the way to the end of the house where the garage was. At the end of the hallway by the door of the garage, I saw a misty white figure literally swaying back and forth. I wouldn't describe it as inhuman, but it wasn't really human either. I could make out arms and legs, but it was somewhat jagged. With each sway, the figure came closer and closer to me. I was scared to death and seriously thought I was hallucinating. I rubbed my eyes and looked again, but the figure was still there and drawing even closer. I ran into my parent's room and slept on their floor that night.

The last thing I would like to share was indeed the scariest thing I have ever experienced. I have always slept with my room door open and my closet door shut. One night in my teens, my room door was open while I was sleeping. I believe it was around the middle of the night. I was sleeping very well, and I heard my mom whisper my name rather harshly.

"Rach!"

I was facing the wall that night, and I was so tired that I just mumbled, "Hmm?" half-heartedly. However, she whispered again in the same, somewhat-urgent, tone.

"Rach!"

I mumbled, "Hmmm?" again, but this time turned around to face her. My mother was standing in the open doorway to my room, just staring at me. She didn't say anything, just looked at me. One thing that was different about her was her eyes, which looked absolutely otherworldly and somewhat malevolent. Through her eyes, I knew it wasn't really her. She just stood there looking at me with eyes full of malice, and she literally disappeared.

My mother is alive and well.

I have never felt such fear in all the things I've experienced in that house. I really didn't know what to do, so I did all I could think of. I went under the covers and forced myself to sleep.

Even though I knew it was not her, I asked my mom the next morning if she went in my room the night before. She did not.

Thanks for reading my story. Everything in this account was what I personally experienced at that house, and I will be submitting another story of what my parents have experienced at that house separately. Everything is 100% true, and I would not waste my time or anyone else's time if it were not. Any comments are warmly welcomed and appreciated.

Other hauntings by PrettyInPain

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PrettyInPain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Hey y'all. Sorry for the lack of reply to new comments. I was living in a bad neighborhood that got worse, and my car got stolen. I moved in March, but wanted to update because my parents actually moved from the house I refer to in this account. I helped them move at the beginning of the month, and it was pretty surreal. But the biggest news I have is that my boyfriend overheard their neighbor talking to my dad, and apparently the previous owner passed away (which is why it was for sale approximately 23 years ago to my parents). So, I thought that was worth mentioning.
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
Hiya, welcome to the sight and great account. I have had dimmer lights do this also but I just put it down to weird wiring, I'll try to notice any other strange things happening next time the dimmer switch playes up.
[at] Toralai > A doppelganger is a 'double' of somebody you know to be alive and well, there is a famous case of a french teacher who's doppelganger materialised so often than she lost her job because it was freaking pupils out, poor woman.
On this site it says shadow people are transparent and are spirits who havnt passed into the light, but I have found this not to be the case in most accounts that I have read and the one I seen when I was a small toddler certainly wasnt, it was very dense, dark and 3D, walked slowly up to me and didn't have any 'human' feel to it whatsoever. Tried to post it twice but site was closed to submitting new material. Anyhows thank you very much for a truthfull and scary story 😁
Toralai (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Hi PIP,
I liked your story and thought that it was extremely scary on your part! 😲 I must say I don't know what a "doppelg
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Missy,
Geeez! How slow am I? I just now found this and it took me 5 minutes to figure out the Mark Wahlberg reference! 😆 Too funny!

Jav
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
MM,

Haha, you never know! I guess I wouldn't sympathize with him/her because all my celebrity crushes are girl-crushes. 😜
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
Hi PIP,

"my parents and I were sitting in living room watching A Perfect Storm. About a quarter of the way through the movie, the chandelier started to gradually get dim, brighter, and then turn off completely."

Jav:
"The dimmer switch trick? Was that a message? I have to wonder every time I hear that has occurred, just what they are trying to say."

I think what the entity was trying to say was that he/she loves Mark Wahlberg. I know that's what I would be trying to saying... Lol ❤ 😆
p-a-s-d-e-c-h-e-v-a-l (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
I'll be waiting to read your upcoming stories. I sometimes think that a specific room might be a little more haunted than others because of a meaningful attachment to the entity, though it's just a speculation. Haha, I have always hated hallways, esp. Those seemingly never-ending ones. Thanks for a reminder, any way. I always forget to look around my surroundings every now and again.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hi PIP,
Can I just say "Whoa!"? That is really weird. I don't even know what to think about that, to tell you the truth. It just gets curiouser and curiouser the further we go down this road. I don't think it bears any meaning on what happened in either incident, but it is an awful strange coincidence. Because her experience was years ago also, the murder/suicide happened at least three years before the incidence with the dimmer switch. And I don't even know how long ago that occurred. But it does give me chills.

Jav
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Jav,

Yes, it makes plenty of sense. That's some pretty interesting stuff there- especially since the number of deaths was related to the number of times the lights flickered. You know what's kind of weird? My dad mentioned something similar to her double murder-suicide backstory a few days ago. We were talking about some events from the past, and he mentioned that there was a double murder-suicide two condos down from him and his ex wife. This was long-ass time ago and in a different location (of course), but I suppose there is no harm in bringing it up. It's weird that the deaths were exact in execution, though. I know it's a long shot.::Sigh:: So many similarities, so much to process.

Well, I hope you had a lovely weekend. Take care hun. ❤

PIP 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Pasdecheval,

I will be submitting it when the submissions page re-opens. 😁

Thanks for reading my story. I do not know why the computer room let off such eerie vibes compared to the other rooms. I always felt like I was being chased down the hallway too. It was pretty awful.

Being fascinated in the paranormal is perfectly natural IMO. But I will say that you might want to be careful if your curiosity becomes a desire to open doors that should have stayed locked. It's not as easy to shut them once opened. I know you are not looking for advice, so I bid you farewell.

Take care,
Pretty
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
PIP,
I know what you mean. I turned away from the crossing over idea when it became the action of the dimmer switch in these two stories. I think you have a good base to start on, hell you may even be dead on. But I do know that just by researching these phenomenon, we are going to find more questions, that's for sure!
I think, if your theory works here then it also works for hers. OK, what if the amount of times it dimmed/lightened it was referring to how many there are there? In hers it would be true if the suicide had crossed already. And what was left were the guy and his two victims.
Does that make sense at all?

Jav
~Just wild guesses at this point~~ ❤
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Jav,

Thank you kindly for your comments. My mind has been on overdrive from these similarities in experiences. I read the light dimmer story from your comment. Thank you for providing it for me. It kind of unsettled me because there is another similarity from that story and the one I'm submitting tomorrow (My mom's experieces). I am not sure about the dimmer switch and its significance in both events. I know the other person said the light flickered in 3's, but mine didn't. I know this is probably really stupid, but maybe the way the light went from dim to bright to dim again might have been symbolic for something. Like birth, life, and death. And the repitition of the flickering could have meant something else. I am very curious about the reasoning behind commonalities in all paranormal activity. It's kind of interesting that there are so many parallels in the events. Why are there so many common haunting elements and so few that are one of a kind? That being said, I like your idea about breaking the common events down in the most simple way and putting ourselves in their shoes.

Warmest Wishes,
PIP ❤
p-a-s-d-e-c-h-e-v-a-l (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Please submit a story about your parents soon (with permission, of course)! Onto your story-- these accounts are weird. I wonder why it was only the computer room which had a prominent aura to it. I really don't take any of these stories as a joke (does it seem like it, no?), I just feel the need to satiate my incredible interest in paranormal activity. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not; I'll settle with the needle pointing between unknown and unwise.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
[at] PrettyInPain,
I have another link for you. This one has to do with the dimmer/light switch thing. I believe this one was doing just like yours had. Purposeful and deliberate, knew it had the persons attention too!
What really gets me about these two incidents is the dimmer function of the light seems to be an important factor for some reason. If that's the case?

Jav

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=12754#comment
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
Hi PIP!
You know, it's really cool when someone 'gets' me. I get these weird ideas and throw them out there to see if they'll stick, and sometimes it even surprises me when they do.
What I'm thinking about is trying to put ourselves in their shoes, as far as communicating a message to the living goes.

What are the most common forms of activity reported?

What do these actions mean to the living?

Thinking in the most simplest terms. Breaking it down to the common denominator, and then finding a way to test it. And you really don't have to go far for that.
Sounds like fun, huh?

Jav 😁
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
Jav,

Thank you so much for that link! It helped me tons because I wasn't able to find it by myself. I did read it and plan on trying to help with my thoughts on what the O/P went through. The similarities certainly were intriguing and I'm glad you pointed that out and provided the link.

About the light topic, I really am glad you brought that to my attention. I really don't know if whoever it was needed help, or if they were just playful. The fact that it kept going after my dad addressed it is the reason I felt like your theory about it needing help was a huge possibility. Also, the fact that it decided to make its presence known in front of me and my parents at the same time might have been a factor in its intent. I sure do wish there was a way to simplify the messages we recieve from the other side, like you pointed out. Sharing theories and comparing our experiences seems like a good way to start, though! Not to say that any two experiences are exactly the same, but perhaps the action itself has something to do with their intent. For example, you noted the light tricks might have been its way of telling us it needed help. Perhaps the lights were symbolic of the spirit needing help TO the light? I have absolutely no idea, but I do believe you are on to something and I respect your opinion and theories very much.

Thanks for commenting back. You're a sweetheart. ❤

PIP 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
Hey PIP!
Thank you for reading my story and the lovely comment. It means so much.
Alright, let's see what we've got going so far. Oh yeah, the other story I was referring to is titled "The Man Down the Hall, Part 1". And here's a link to that story if you're interested:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=12761
The author, like yourself, is a sensitive. He's been dealing with some pretty heavy stuff all his life. And to top it all off, his family has recently moved into, what sounds like, a very active location.
I think your input, if you have any ideas, could go a long way in helping this person get a grip on the situation he is now faced with.
Next, I wanted to clarify what I meant when I stated:
"The dimmer switch trick? Was that a message? I have to wonder every time I hear that has occurred, just what they are trying to say. Does it need help going into the light/crossing over? Or is it just finding new and creative ways to annoy the crap out of you?"
This is one of my more recent 'running theories' (as in "running with scissors";P). So don't feel bad because you somehow missed this information in your prior research, I'm not so sure it was out there to find, yet.
But your reaction, and the fact that the question made you think about it being a possibility, makes me want to explore this further. There has got to be some way to simplify how we interpret the messages we receive from the other side. Heck, just to recognize that we have received a message is a big deal!
Just a little glimpse into my thought process. Hope you didn't mind. 😉

Jav 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
Pete16,

Thank you so much for reading and the kind words. It means a lot to me. It's nice to be able to dig up the past to shed some light on it with such empathetic and knowledgable individuals.

With Warmest Wishes,

PIP 😊
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
Pretty,

Thanks for sharing! Your writing style is very honest, and it's so great to have some real first-hand accounts. I look forward to reading your parents' encounters.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
haunted_childhood,

Thank you for reading my story:) I'm with you on that one.

PrettyInPain
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
rjay99,

I am so glad to hear you are going to share your story. I look forward to reading it! ❤

Well it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who didn't like that nickname. I suppose there are some things only mums can get away with! 😆

Take care of yourself,

PrettyInPain, the other Rachel 😜
rjay99 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
As soon as I am able to I'll post my stories for you. It'll be interesting to see how similar they are 😊

Thats funny! I never really liked being called Rach either, only my mum ever did.

I'll keep a look out for your other posts I can't wait to read them!

PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Rach too,

Hehe sorry, I couldn't help it. 😆 It's kind of ironic that the entity called me Rach because I did not like to be called that. My mom was the only one that could get away with using that nickname for me.

I am glad you were able to move from the home that you're referring to. I would love to read your story about that house if you ever choose to post it.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. It means a lot to me.

Take care sweetie 😊
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Wow...this story scared me! 😭 No more reading ghost stories at night all alone!
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Jav,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and kind words. I read your story about when your sister passed on, from the radio incident, the change in your hair, and the way you described the night sky- I was so enamoured in each word. It was a beautiful story. Just wanted to let you know ❤

What you said about the preschool comment makes a lot of sense. I have always been conditioned to be the best person I can be, including always being honest. It is true that children are very honest and straightforward, so I think you have a good point about what I said likely being what I meant.

I really did not think about about whether or not the light dimmer antics had a meaning. Now as an adult, I wish I would have been more familiar with the studies and explanations of all things paranormal back then. I would hate for someone to have been stuck on this plain trying to get help, but not receiving it due to my lack of knowledge.: (

That is interesting about the similar story involving the white figure (shadow in their case) and the jerky movements; and even the hallway and the way the being was approaching. I wonder if that particular scenario has a meaning, but either way it's weird. I will check out the new stories I haven't read yet, as I am interested to see the similarities.

I got a glimpse of yours and others' Doppelganger theories on previous posters' comments. Those comments were the first time I heard of such an entity, and it was kind of exciting to come upon some sort of explanation after years of not knowing! It seemed like a cocky, attention-seeking action to take my mom's features. I doubt I will ever know its motives, but it does not sit well with me that it chose to look like my mom (assuming the choice was intentional).

I can't thank you enough for your kindness and for your input on my experiences. I truly value your opinion. I was about to submit my next story this morning, but when I began, I found out that the submissions are closed until Monday.

With warmest wishes and deep gratitude,

PIP 😉 ❤
rjay99 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Your story reminds me a lot of some of my experiences. I never saw anything like your white figure but I heard the keyboard typing in our computer room in the middle of the night and foot steps up and down the hall. I never felt at ease in that house...
We ended up moving.

Thanks for sharing, I hope everything went okay. 😊 p.s I'm Rach too! 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Hello PIP!,
And a hearty welcome to YGS and the surrounding sister sites!
Wow! I really enjoyed reading your story. It is just so sobering at times, when you read through knowing that the author has been dealing with these experiences for as long as they can remember. Because it does make you wonder how much you've forgotten or pushed into the back recesses of your memory. Take the notes from preschool for instance. You gave an honest answer. You have to know that at that age, unless you've been coached to lie, you are telling it like it was at that time in your life. You were seeing ghosts way back then, which is really the most plausible answer. Children are more receptive to the spirit world, (shrug) it's just the way it is.

The dimmer switch trick? Was that a message? I have to wonder every time I hear that has occurred, just what they are trying to say. Does it need help going into the light/crossing over? Or is it just finding new and creative ways to annoy the crap out of you? I love that your dad hollered at it!
The touching your back incident still has me creeped out too. But The white mist, and the way it moved reminds me of another recent story. Only the entity was a shadow man type and that one had been jerky at first also. And, coincidentally at the far end of the hallway from him. But they both were moving towards you and him. Creepy as hell in my opinion.
But the last incident is what is weighing on my mind the most. There are so many different traditions as to what constitutes a Doppelganger that I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. We've even come up with a couple of our own. Which yours does not fall into, unfortunately. I can tell you this though, I would have completely lost it if I saw something trying to pass itself off as my mom! And standing in the doorway of your bedroom? Inside your own house? YIKES!
Unless this was just an entity attempting to trick you, or testing what it can get away with, I'm lost.

You have another big fan in me now PIP. I can't wait to read the next story. Thank you for sharing.
Jav 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
DragonStorm80,

Thank you kindly. 😊 It was definitely scary at the time. I am grateful that it didn't escalate more than it did. Thank you so much for reading!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
This is such an interesting story, you had so many experiences in this house which I'm sure scared you at the time, I am looking to forward to hearing more of these experiences
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
bigryan020192,

There were a lot of experiences at that house for sure. I have been curious about what I might have seen when I was too young to remember. The reason I mention this is because the booklett from my preschool had basic questions the teachers had us answer, and one of them asked what I was afraid of. The answer says "When there are ghosts." I think it's an interesting choice of words, but it is very possible I just meant that I was afraid of ghosts and not that I actually saw them.

That's reassuring that some of us had such similar occurances. It's so bizzare to see/hear someone you know only to realize it's definitely not them. Thanks for reading and commenting. 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: