You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandad's Final Wish

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandad's Final Wish

 

I have been sensitive to the paranormal world ever since I can remember. I'm not saying I am psychic or anything, but I have seen and heard things that I cannot explain and I am a very firm believer. For example: I have seen my step-grandad sat in his favorite seat when I went to my great grandma's house before she passed (god bless her soul). The top level of her house had this very sad and cold atmosphere. I have seen people in period clothing in abandoned houses. My biggest experiences are at my nan and grandads (dads parents) house which I shall talk about in another post.

I was extremely close to my grandad (mums father). He was a very proud man. He was in the marines, a police officer, a member of the freemasons and a very patriotic man. He was a very neat, proud and dignified gentleman to say the least. Leading up to his passing, he had developed many health problems and so carrying out tasks like mowing the lawns, trimming the hedges, fixing his car, ect became increasingly difficult so I went over 3-4 times a week to help him for a couple of hours. Months before he passed he started to get very sincere and sentimental, which was unusual because he used to say thank you and what not, but he started really banging the drum about how much he appreciated what I was doing for him. Unfortunatly he passed in hospital without me realy saying goodbye. That was the hardest thing I found so to give a dignified and memorable passing over, and to do one last job for him I was a pallbearer at his cremation service and carried his coffin to the alter, along with my uncle.

After the service I felt the need to carry on doing jobs at his house because I know it would have made him extremely proud and my nan wouldn't have been able to do it all herself. Being as my grandad was sadly no longer around my nan didn't want me touching his car without him being there so she had it sent to the garage to have work done instead. So with less work I only went once every week and made a day of it.

About a month or two after my grandad's passing, I was out in his back garden mowing the lawn. I had my head phones in and was listening to music not really thinking about much, just another normal day. I was about half way done and my music started skipping. It was weird because its never happened before and I had a mp3 player, so no cd to knock. The music started playing again so I thought nothing of it and carried on. About 5 minutes later, the mower cut out and the music stopped completely. Thinking the mp3 player had run out of battery I check the mower for for its fuel level to find half a tank left, so I assumed there was something wrong with the clutch, so as I stood up to have a look. There was a sudden tranquility, not even the sound of birds. I felt this extremely warm feeling all over as the sun parted from the clouds. I looked over to my grandads bedroom window and saw a figure of an old man. I couldn't make out any facial features but I didn't need to, I knew exacly who he was, my grandad. I felt extremely overwhelmed with emotions.

He put one hand up as he did to wave at me, I was stood in joy for a few moments. I closed my eyes and just pictured his face in my head. Within seconds my music started up again and I snapped out of it. That warmth had gone and the figure was no longer stood at the window. I stood there for a few moments to think about what happened, then I proceeded to check the clutch, seeing that there was nothing wrong with it I tried I start the mower and it fired straight up.

I know it sounds a bit elaborate but it's Gods truth that happened, I could never forget a moment like that.

Not a lot happened after that. Just things moving without my nan moving it (she's the only one living in the house). 6 months later it was Boxing Day and the whole family met up for Chrismas celebrations. I needed to use the bathroom, so after I finished my business I was washing my hands. I had the soap bar in my hand when it flew out like someone knocked it out my hands, then the water started gushing out the tap then went down to a trickle then started gushing ect. I felt this over whelming feeling draining my energy. Next thing I remember I was laid out flat on the bathroom floor. I sat up and had these words running through my head like wild fire "thank you, I'm extremely proud to be your grandfater, now please live your own life, look after your nan and let her know I will present myself to her in small ways that means big things." It was weird, It was like I had learned a script and kept rehearsing them in my head.

Slightly in shock, I went back to the family to carry on with the evening. When the evening finished my nan went to her room to fetch the jackets and found 3 silver sequins on my grandads pillow. I closed the door and told her what I experienced and understandably, she broke down with emotions. So I decided to carry out my grandad's wish and stayed in the spare room to look after her. The next morning she woke up and found 2 more sequins on my grandad's pillow. For about 5 months after this my nan found hundreds of sequins all on my grandad's pillow.

I still believe to this day that when my grandad said he will present him in a small way that means big things, I believe he meant something as small as a silver sequin. Unfortunately, when my nan stopped finding the sequins the house felt very empty and the feeling that he was still with us had gone. Everything that could not be explained stopped and I never experienced anything again.

So I believe that for him to pass on he needed to pass on his final wish and I am honoured he chose to give it to me (might figure being as no one else in my family is sensitive hehe).

Other hauntings by bigryan020192

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bigryan020192, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
What a touching story and what a good young man you are, no wonder Grandad was proud... Just a couple of things I want you to say... The reason you Grandad got more emotional towards the end of his life was probably because he knew his time was near, most elderly people have that feeling but often keep it to themselves, I'm sure his emotions at that time were representative of his love for you and his family... Although it would have given you some closure to say goodbye in person, I think Grandad done an excellent job at doing that through your story and from a world that is now home for him... Thanks for sharing mate.
p-a-s-d-e-c-h-e-v-a-l (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Aw, I got teary-eyed from reading. I love this story too much.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Hello BigRyan, I liked your story. I had a dream a little while ago that my dad died & I didn't get to say goodbye. He's still alive so I was able to tell him about my dream. In a way, that was how I was able to say goodbye. He's been having health problems, but hopefully, he will have a little more time. If I may be so bold, perhaps if your mom knows how, she can use the sequins to make little angels wings, like for a Christmas tree top.
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
PrettyInPain

Thats fine, I just think about the times I have had with them and I just know what none of them would want me feeling regret because of not saying goodbye and for me to carry on with my life without regret. I still feel regret though, its only human. Its nice that I can relate to you, it helps alot.

I read the story, WOW that is the most heartwarming story ever. Thankyou for the reccomend, its nice that I can relate to him aswell.

Thanks for commenting
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
ngute80

Thankyou for taking the time to read my story. My grandad was in the marines for 6 years but got a knee infection and was dismissed. As soon as he was better he joined the police force.

You could say he appreciated life and everything that we have so he made it his responsibility to live it as fully as he could.

Thankyou for the warm message, it means alot.
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
JustCurious

Thankyou for the very warm message 😁

My grandad was a very selfless person and he did, in a way make it his life to help and protect other people.

Thanks again for the comment, means alot.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I love your story! He sounds like a wonderful man. My husband has been in the military 12 years and is aslo a very proud man. Sounds like your grandfather lived a very fullfled life, and I'm happy he has moved on and at total peace. I'm sure that he is still checking in from time though. Thanks you for sharing
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
bigryan020192,
I am sorry you didn't get a chance to say goodbye to those dear to you. I didn't get to say goodbye to my grandma, so I know what that's like. I really am glad you were able to communicate with your grandpa, especially after losing so many loved ones without closure.

I understand what you mean about how it would benefit people to be open to the paranormal. I really recommend a story on here called August Soul Mates. It is a very good example of a positive experience after the author's hardships.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Thank you very much for sharing this story! I am sorry to hear about the passing of your grandfather, and its great to hear that he was in the military and a police officer, making it his job to protect others.

It does sound like he is watching over you guys, and it seems like he is definatly letting his presence be known to those who know where to look.

Peace
JustCurious
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
PrettyInPain

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post! 😁

It was a real privilage to communicate with him because there are many members of my family and my best friend who died and I never got a chance to say goodbye so I understand what that feelings like but I will say this...
People need to be open minded about the paranormal world because if they are skeptical but want to know that a loved one is still there theyre going to miss all the signs, and people who are slightly open minded but not sure because theyve never experianced anything, they need to be utterly open minded and make it clear that they want to communicate in some way.

But I'm very happy its stories like this one that gives people hope

Thanks for taking the time to comment means a lot 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Thank you for such a heartwarming story. That is very kind of you to watch over your grandma for him. I am so glad you were able to hear him communicate that he is proud of you. I agree with Devious that experiences like yours are what give people hope.:)
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Ilee

Im not 100% sure what significance the sequins had but the only thing I can guess is that because my nan used to be in the botique business and she has ALOT of cloths making equipment. And also she has Thousands of sequins in her kit and funnily enough no cloths in her wardrobe with any sequins on them.

Also when the whole family meet up there are all the girls in their sparkly cloths with sequins on them and at the end of the night there would be sequins all over the floor and my nan would always moan so I think for him to put a sequin on his pillow would really draw my nans attention

Im not sure how much this has to do with it but these are the only links I can think of.

Thankyou very much for commenting. 😁
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
deviousangel

Thankyou very much for commenting, I will be post more experiences soon.
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
What a touching story! It's amazing to see the love and bond between people in life and even in death.

Besides it being small and meaning something big, did the sequins have particular meaning to your grandad or your nan? Was just curious as to why sequins.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I really enjoyed this story. Thank you for sharing this extremely touching experience. I think it is experiences like these that give people hope. Hope to hear more from you!
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
zentafornow

Thankyou very much, yeah me and my grandad were extremely close we had a lot in common, we both like car, have respect for the millatry and police, we are both self sufficiant and like to tinker with broken things and try to fix them. So many other things we have in common, don't get me wrong my brothers and sister have a wonderful relationship with him but there was something between me and him, we got on like pen and paper.

Thankyou very much for the warm message, it means a lot
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
bacchaegrl

Thanks for commenting!
My nan is a ferm believer, first off, second is the smallest things means the most to her and my grandad definatly knew this so when I told her that that I saw him when mowing the lawns and he gave me a his wish when I was in the bathroom she feels that he was letting her know through the sequins, because well they are very small, and that he was still there, at first she was a bit confused about it be when I reminded my grandad said he would present him self in a small way it became clear that it was my grandad.

Its the same with my mum, my grandad told my mum that when he dies he would be her guardian angel about 3-4 times a week a small white feather will float to my mums feet, even when we were in the living room watching tv, my mum was sat on the sofa which is about 10 feet away from the sliding french doors, there was barely a breeze and a small white feather floated through the living room and landed at my mums feet.

Even though it feels hes not at my nans house anymore I feel he is watching over the whole family.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
What a wonderful story. First off, I'd like to say that both you and your grandparents are so blessed to have such a loving relationship as you do. You and your grandad had a very close and special relationship when he was alive so it would only make sense that it would continue when he passed. I am sure that he is comforted in knowing that you continue to help as you do. And you were very blessed to have a contact with him several times after he passed.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
What a great story. It was detailed and very well written. Thank you for sharing this touching story with us. I'm glad your grandpa was there to help you in the right direction. I'm glad you made him proud. Do you know what the significance of the sequins were? I know they were a sign of his presence, but did they have any meaning for him in life? Thanks again for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: