You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Dead Rabbit Making His Presence Known

Real Ghost Stories

My Dead Rabbit Making His Presence Known

 

I had this rabbit named Spot. I had known him since he was first born and he was a great pet. He was also very sweet. Every day when I came home he would stick his nose through the bars of his cage and let me pet him. But a few months ago, when I got back from school, he was dead. My whole family is still mourning from his death.

A few weeks after he passed away, I went downstairs to where his hutch was, expecting to see him there for some reason. When I realized he wasn't in the cage, I cried. But then I felt a cold air on me and I thought I heard sounds in his cage. It sounded like he was walking in the hutch. I'm not sure if I hallucinated or not but I had a few wierd experiences after his death.

Like on the day he died I had a feeling of sadness sweep over me before I even knew he died. And he also came to thought at this time. It was like he was trying to tell me something. This has happened a few times.

Like when I cleaned out his abandoned hutch a feeling of happiness came over me like he was happy that where he once lived his life was clean. And that sometimes happens now when I go near his hutch. I feel happiness sweep over me. Like he wants me to know that he's there. I'm not sure whether I'm just imagining things while trying to cope with my beloved pet's death, or if my rabbit is trapped between worlds and is trying to tell me. He was a very special pet so I am thinking he is maybe trying to help me cope with the death or maybe he senses that I miss him and he's trying to let me know that he's still here. The weird thing about this though is that I don't have any feeling come over me when I'm near his grave.

Also, a priest at my church said that it's highly unlikely that animals can become spirits or have life after death. So I'm still not sure whether my pet is haunting our family or not.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KelcKelc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

LPC (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-11)
I came across this account following a Google search. It is well written and although it dates from 2011 I would like to comment, as the question of whether animals have souls is very important. I have a website devoted to the whole issue.

There is no doubt in my mind that your beloved rabbit, Spot, sent you comforting thoughts after he passed, to let you know that he is fine on the astral (in the afterlife). You got close to this when you wrote, "He was a very special pet so I am thinking he is maybe trying to help me cope with the death or maybe he senses that I miss him and he's trying to let me know that he's still here"

I would agree with you about his wanting to help you cope with his passing. Many pets communicate with their caretakers after passing, sometimes by "visits" (in their etheric form immediately after passing - often called "ghosts") or sometimes by means of dreams.

Blessings to you, dear Spot!
werewolfluv (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
Sorry for the loss of your pet, I lost a few pets and it is sad, If I were you ignore what the priest said. Animals do have souls. I believe our animals go to heaven. ❤ werewolfluv
skittles21 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
When I was younger, we had a chocolate lab that was very protective of us kids. It was really hard when she died for me and my brother. One day, when we were in the basement (it's furnished), my brother was using the bathroom while I was on the computer playing a game. Suddenly I heard the door bang open and my brother yelling. As I ran to him, I saw a shadow disappear quickly into my mom's room, and my brother said he saw our dog walk by the door as it opened.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
Aw, sorry for your loss. I'd ignore what your priest said. These sweet little fuzzy balls of love we have in our life - how can they NOT have souls? Look into their eyes... There's something there...

I would suggest reading the Rainbow Bridge story/poem. Just Google it, and have some tissues nearby.
tawny (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
I believe that if you have a strong connection like you seemed to have with your pet rabit that he may still be there but usually after awhile they leave. I believe this because when our family cat died her name was rosie nearly everynight me and my sister went to bed we would feel her curl up beside us like she did before she died. Eventually it stopped but I know without a doubt it was her.
-AnDGeL- (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
😁 I admired you for the loved of your pet... Yet I felt sorry for it... May it rest in peace:)
rjay99 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Your story was lovely, (obviously not the part about poor Spot passing) but I think it was really special.

I'd like to think all our beloved pets will pass on to their own happy resting places.

Be strong ❤
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I believe that animals have souls too. Nice story. I told my husband that if I came back as a ghost I'd try to haunt our house, not my gravesite, because that's where I was happy.
buffy666 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
sorry for your loss and I have had that same thing happen to me with my gammas cat rusty when she die I sower I could feel or see her in my house or that she had come back from the dead to hunt me
Madyrina (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I'm sorry for you loss. It's always hard to lose a loved one, be they human or pets. I don't doubt that pets have an after life, since many people have shared experiences of their dearly departed pets visiting them. ❤
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Firstly here Carala11 I understand you are trying to say that you understand about the loss of a pet but your comment does seem to be a little self involved here.

KelcKelc~ Even though the preist said it is highly unlikely I beieve it is totally possible for animal spirits to stay around and watch over us, there are a lot of similar stories on this site about this topic, I think it's very sweet your rabbit is still sending its love to you 😊
bigryan020192 (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Sorry for your loss. I would ignore what the preist said. I had a dog called becky, my mum had her before I was even born and when I was about 12... Maybe 13... Something like that she got very ill one day while taking her out for a walk and unfortunatly passed away infront of the open fire at my grandparents house, and ever since I feel compelled to look over near the fire place because I think I could see something there and every now and then I saw a white dog shaped mist flaot past me at sort of mid-thigh heigh. Becky was also white. I'm 19 now and I still see her so I believe pets can pass over into the spirit world.

Also there is nothing that differenciate who we are and our souls, only the body we live in, so tell me why would a pet be any differant to a human.

Dont worry I believe spot is with you and you should embrace every happy feeling you get when your near the hut.
Carala11 (8 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I lost my fish this year. He wasn't moving or eating.
I tapped on his glass, which usually worked. But he didn't budge. The next day my dad came to clean his tank but he was dead. I started to cry. Plus, last year my hamster died. I cuddled her dead body. I know its hard to say goodbye. 😭
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Sorry for the loss of your pet. I lost a dog that I had for almost seventeen years. I would feel her presence around me after she passed. I do believe that our pets go to a better place as well and I do believe that we all meet up again one day. I wouldn't listen to what people say about it but you know what you feel in your heart.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: