You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Creepy, Mysterious Portrait

Real Ghost Stories

The Creepy, Mysterious Portrait

 

My story begins on a beautiful day at Pine Ridge Cabins and Camp Site situated two hours from Ottawa. I had previously been in Quebec and Nova Scotia because I was visiting some relatives and also because my second cousin was getting married at a blueberry farm. The reason we were staying in a cabin was because my uncle had booked both families of the bride and groom to stay in the cabins so that we could get to know each other before the big day.

My 2nd cousin and her husband, my uncle and his wife, his wife's sister and dad, my grandfather and I all stayed in one cabin called the 1820 until the the rest of the family arrived. The cabin was very spacious with lots of very old furniture, the only things that were modern about it were, the appliances in the kitchen and the tv.

When we first loaded our luggage into the cabin, me, being the fashionista that I am, had the most clothing and jewelry so I had to lug this great big suitcase up the stairs to the top floor. When I got up there, the lighting was really dim and I got this really creepy vibe. I quickly put my suitcase in a room and rushed back down stairs.

When I got to the living room, I noticed this large portrait on the wall of this very stern looking woman who looked like she was in her mid-thirties. The portrait creeped me out more than being upstairs. I felt like the eyes were following me so I decided to sit with my back to the portrait to try and get my mind off of the vibes I kept getting. A minute later I got a text from my mom asking me how the cabin was. I told her "It's great but there's this picture of a women on the wall and it's giving me the heebie jeebies". From that point on I really didn't feel comfortable going upstairs unless someone else was up there.

On the first night, I slept in the room with the comfiest bed. I felt a lot less creeped out in there because I didn't have to sleep in the corridor. I was glad because the next night my grandad and I were to move cabins because the rest of the family was coming up. Sadly, the cabin wasn't booked until the next night. I was not at all pleased because I had to sleep in the corridor the next night, which was right beside the stairs and the picture was right underneath us.

The next day, we decided to ask the people in charge of the camp site the history of the cabin. It turns out that the cabin originally came from Algonquin Park which is three hours away from Ottawa. Anyways, they took down the cabin, bit by bit and then they moved it to the camp site where they re-built the whole thing and then it got it's name. The story goes that the portrait came with the cabin and nobody knows who the woman is, which makes it all the more mysterious. One of the ladies also mentioned that when she comes by to clean up the place and prepare it for the next set of guests, that she feels like the eyes of the woman seem to follow her every time. I felt so relieved that I wasn't the only one who was experiencing this weird phenomena.

That night, I couldn't sleep because I felt even more scared, and as I mentioned earlier, the picture was below us. At about 1:00 pm it was really quiet, my iPhone had switched off and because I still couldn't sleep I decided to watch an episode of Gossip Girl I had downloaded on it. All of a sudden I couldn't believe my eyes, about 2 inches from me, the woman's face was hovering in front of me. I was really scared. I tried to scream but I couldn't because my throat was so dry. I quickly shut my eyes and when I re-opened them, she was gone. Still watching the tv show, I pulled the covers over my head. The next day, I tried to stay out of the cabin for as long as possible. At 3:00 we moved to our new cabin. The creepy feeling had vanished and I felt at ease.

The last time I visited the other cabin was to show my other family members the puppy that I got for graduating high school. To this day, I'm not sure why the woman showed herself to me. Could it be because she didn't want me there? Who knows. If anyone could give me some insight, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story,

Daisy

Other hauntings by AngelDemonGhost101

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AngelDemonGhost101, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

warhead025 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Good story... Painting of a person is kind of scary to me too. 😠...
AngelDemonGhost101 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hi everyone, thankyou for all of the comments. I do agree with Lilady4, HappySpirit and TerryLewis123 it probably was the fact that the spirit attached itself to the portrait. But, it could also possibly be what DeviousAngel said that maybe the spirit could sense my fear and that she appeared to get a rise out of me. It could be a combination of both things. If anyone has any other suggestions on what it could be, please pass them on, it will be greatly appreciated.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I think in your case, a spirit probably sensed your fear of the portrait and appeared to you as the woman to get a rise out of you. I am glad you do not have to deal with it any more though! Portraits can always be kind of creepy and I do not understand people that want them in their homes. The closest thing to a portrait I think I could deal with is something by Picasso, and even that can be spooky.
bandet888 (86 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I just came up with a possible explaination of why eyes appear to follow you in a portrait. It's because it's not a 3D picture. If the eyes are looking forward (say in a picture taken by a camera when the person is looking at the camera) it will appear to be looking at you no mater what angle you look at the picture because it's not 3D. If a real person is looking at you then turns a little to the side still looking forward but not at you since his body is a 3D object he will no longer appear to be looking at you. But if you hold a photograph of someone looking at the camera if you turn the picture slightly sideways the body will be slightly slimer but the eyes will still look like they're looking at you. Take a photograph and turn it slightly. Just thought I'd through that in as a possible explaination.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
I like Happyspirit's take on things. Good story. Portraits in general can be a little creepy.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
Very creepy story! Thanks for sharing. Yes, sounds like one of those situations where a spirit attaches to an object. Portraits of the ghost when they were alive always provide a good opportunity for a haunting. Obviously this one didn't like the fact that you were awake and playing with some "modern contraption" when you "should" have been asleep so she showed herself at that point. I suspect that the general unease you felt before was just her general disapproving nature. Did anyone else that came into that cabin (besides the cleaning woman) feel uneasy or unwelcome?
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
I think that the portrait was haunted and maybe the woman was 'encased' in the portrait, as it seems like it was the last portrait done of her (probably before she died). Maybe the woman didn't like anyone coming in to "her cabin". That's the only conclusion I can come to concerning this story.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
Wow, that would have scared me to death! I don't know what I would have done! 😭 I can't imagine how you felt!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: