You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: New Orleans Ghost And Possible Possession

Real Ghost Stories

New Orleans Ghost And Possible Possession

 

I am writing to share with you my experience since moving into a very large house in the Lower Garden District in New Orleans, LA.

The house I live in was built in 1895 and looks like something straight out of an Anne Rice novel. It has two large galleries that are punctuated by eight large gallery windows and is accented by traditional New Orleans wrought iron. I live in what used to be a double parlor at the bottom left side of the building, which now is divided into 15 individual apartment units.

I moved in two weeks ago and everything seemed fine and dandy until my little sister told me she felt a presence in my bathroom. I know she is sensitive to these things so I believed her and even expected activity. What happened within the next week still leaves me extremely puzzled and distressed.

The second night I was in my apartment, I was awaked at 3am (Devil's hour or Witching hour, if you will) to the sound of extremely heavy (leaden, even) feet shuffling in the hallway outside my door. I listened intently as the footsteps slowly made their way from the back of the hallway to my front door. There, the footsteps stopped without leaving through the main door (four tenets share a hallway) or going up the stairs. They simply disappeared. I was terrified and looked under my door but nothing was there. I tried to fall back asleep, but I felt lightheaded and I could feel something touching me and causing my hair to stand up. That was the first night I lost a good amount of sleep.

A few nights later, my friend came from out of town to pay be a visit for the weekend. The first night she was there, I dreamed that there was a yellowish opaque figure next to my bed. I awoke from that dream to hear distinct footsteps in my bedroom only to wake up again to the actual sound of footsteps in that same place! I have never heard my neighbors upstairs and I knew that whatever it was, was coming from my apartment. Even after wrapping my brain around this, I was somehow miraculously able to fall back asleep.

The next night was when things began to get very strange. According to my friend, I had fallen asleep around 1:30 and was snoring loudly for about thirty minutes when I simply got out of bed and walked out of my apartment. My friend is an insomniac, so she only saw me leave out of the corner of her eye while playing on my computer. She assumed I went out to get something out of my car and when I did not return after ten minutes, she opened the window to see where I was. There, she saw me standing naked just staring at the front of the house. She immediately ran outside to get me, only to have me stare at my front porch and ask "What is this? Why don't I have access to this?" I was motioning to the double veranda which, according to one of my friends who worked on that house five years ago, was a post-Katrina renovation (I learned of this two nights ago). My friend "P" did not know what to say and ushered me in after collecting the clothes I had ripped off while outside.

Once I got back inside, I immediately walked to the bathroom and stayed in there for thirty minutes without making a sound. P said that I came back out and immediately went to my dresser where I started to explore its contents, holding each piece up for inspection. While I was going through my things, I began to berate her when she asked if she had done anything wrong. I told her that not all things were about her, and told her that I knew the big picture. I called her selfish and demanded that she not say anything about this incident to me in the morning. I made her promise that she would not say anything to myself and to others about me walking around my house in nothing more than my birthday suit. After I was done berating her, I passed out on my bed and began snoring.

I have no recollection of this event and my friend was truly distressed about the incident and waited until the end of the next day to bring it up. I am never mean to my friends, nor do I have a history of sleep walking. My thoughts immediately went to possession, but I am wary to diagnose the cause so soon. Since that incident, I have witnessed two orbs in my house, have smelled a strong perfume sent in my bathroom when there are no vents and I do not wear scents, and my two cats will randomly wail at dark rooms. I have not slept in a week and I am at my wits end.

Just last night, I decided to acknowledge its existence and even offer it some libations. That seemed to cool the energy but once again at 3am, I was awakened to sounds in the hallway followed by that lightheaded/skin raising feeling I get. I lost a lot of sleep, especially when the window rapping began. I looked but I could find no source for such noise. I ask you now for your help in this. I love this house, but I need my rest! Also, I need to not be walking around my house in the middle of the night.

Thank You All.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KudzuKristal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
Hmmm yeh the whole 3am thing, I never gave it any thought, to me it was certain cults maybe satanists and what not, inverting everything eg: the cross the pentagram and yeh 3am in the afternoon.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
It appears that you are correct Javelina, I apologise. I was wrong.

Hmm, the beginnings of yet another bit of folklore. Amazing how the years fly by...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Moongrim,
You were right, and I was wrong. I just reread my statement and realized that I said that after PS there was a rash or...etc.
So, in that I had misstated in my original post, I'd like to detract that misstatement and replace it with the one below. Sorry for the inconvenience and any hurt feelings.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
[at] Moongrim,
If you read the comment completely, you would have read where I stated that it started with the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Now, that movie came out in 2005. And this website opened up after the movie had been out for over a year.
Knowing this, it's no wonder you'll find so many references to waking up at 3am.
Not trying to start anything, just setting the record straight as to what I had stated to begin with. The reference to Paranormal State was just an added bonus.

Jav
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
If you take the time to read through this website, and check the dates, you'll discover that folks have been waking up at 3AM and encountering hauntings of one kind or another LONG before Paranormal State came out.
Midnight has long traditionally been the Witching hour, 3 A.M. Has long been associated with the Devil (of just about every mythology), because it's 'halfway' between the middle of the night, and dawn.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Your midnight somnambulism is quite out of character- have you been taking any sleep aides, such as Ambien? If you have, you'll discover folks have had quite a number of similiar reactions to what you had had.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
MandyyNicole,
Different descriptions come with the latest Hollywood releases. I'm sorry, but they just do. After "The Ring" came out, Holy Crap! What a nightmare of stories that began with a description of that girl. There have been several "Fads" that come and go with whatever people are watching on TV or seeing at the movies, And yes, even reading in books.
There could be valid reasons for some of it, but not ALL of it.
Now, the 3am thing is new, but because it is mentioned in the Bible as the opposite time of Christs death, people are clinging to that theory. Where the Bible does note this, that is the only connection whatsoever. The rest is Hollywood. The Bible doesn't give any special significance to the opposite of the time of Christ's death as being anything at all. And the only source anyone can quote for this is from the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", and it was an actor that spoke the line.
Then came Paranormal State and after that it was an epidemic of folks waking up at 3am.
It's just that after the first wave hits you, you tend to steady yourself for the onslaught that's coming. And it never fails to reach you.

Sorry this was so long,
Jav
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
I like that explanation on 3am, MissyM, I knew I had heard that before! Thanks for the reminder!
I don't think there's any significance in 3am for any/all hauntings, but I don't think we should discount people's experiences because they mention awakening at 3am. That doesn't seem fair, you never know if there really is some jerk demon out there mocking the death of Jesus in the wee hours of the morning while scaring the crap out of some poor soul 😆

And to Javelina, do you think this phenomena occurs more NOW because people are becoming wary of "the witching hour", due to superstitions in Paranormal State/Emily Rose etc., like some kind of accidental Tulpa (only with time instead)?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
[at] MissyM,
Thank you for the explanation. I hadn't ever heard that before. So, it has truth to it, and I take my words back for saying it wasn't in the Bible. I don't mind being wrong at all, as long as the truth is finally told.

Thank you again,
Jav ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
MissyM,

Thank you... Again Thank you... So Scripture does state that around the 9th Hour (3pm) Christ passed... That part is not superstition and we have Scripture to back it up. 😁

The 'Devils' hour however is 'Folklore', Superstition or Modern Mythology... Now can someone find a reference, other than Movies and or Legend/Folklore, that calls 3am the Devil's Hour... The time that Demons Mock the time Christ Died and are more active?

Respectfully,

Rook
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion_of_Jesus

Link to wikipedia Jesus crucifixion 3pm above.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
The Jewish way of counting time was as follows:

Day began at 6 a.m. The third hour was therefore 9 a.m. The sixth hour was noon, the ninth hour was 3 p.m. And so on.

So, the Bible states (as in Matthew's gospel chapter 27 verse 45) that "From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?'... And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit." This was recorded by eyewitnesses.

Jesus died about 3 p.m. In the afternoon. This surprised the Roman guards who then came round to break the legs of the crucified, to hasten their death because the Sabbath was due to start at 6 p.m. The Jews needed those people dead and off their crosses before the Sabbath started. It has nothing to do with superstition.
DarkMystery (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Ive always thought if midnight as witching hour but when I wake up at 3am I get really creeped out to, and I never get out of bed at that time for some reason. I think its because when my sister watched Paranormal Activity and she said the hauntings always happened at 3am then. ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
MissyM,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I've been waiting for someone to actually 'drop' that into a comment of theirs rather than just mention or refer people to me. Thank you again. 😁

KudzuKristal,

I agree, rule out all possible physical causes, then if things keep happening Paranormal Causes can be explored.

The Footsteps you've been hearing could be anything from Pipes 'thumping' in the walls to a Residual Haunting... Again the 'natural' must be ruled out before the Paranormal can be explored... I'd check into the the History of the Home, it sounds as if you know some of it (such as it's construction date). Ask or research these questions... Has anyone passed away on/in the current Home? Has anyone passed away on the property or in a Home that was on the property before the current one? The Garden District has a long and colorful History, there is plenty to research about it.

Now the Witching Hour... 3am the 'Devils Hour'...

Shakespeare's uses this in the play 'Hamlet' when we hear young Hamlet saying 'Tis now the very witching time of night'. However there is no indication just what time of night it is.

Then there's the fact it's used in Washington Irving's short story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Here, Irving uses "witching hour" and "witching time" interchangeably. Both terms reference midnight, and are used to conjure in readers a sense of supernatural anxiety. There is little proof the term has had any practical use prior to this.

Most recently and somehow now 'embeded' in pop culture and 'folklore' is this...

Used I the Movie 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose', the term refers to the period from midnight to 3am, a character even notes "3am [is] the devil's hour, as opposed to 3pm, when Jesus was said to have been crucified".

Sorry, just don't by it...it's a Modern Day expression and I've never seen or researched anything that 'proves' it's anything but a piece of Modern 'Folklore'.

Respectfully,

Rook
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I don't want to frighten you, but my father (Butch Trivette) has lived in New Orleans for many years, and I've taken pictures of him with ghosts in them. I suspect it's even MORE haunted now, post-Katrina. I've had a couple of VERY frightening experiences there, and I can literally FEEL the energy in the air when I visit. I can't say what's happening in your home, but I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out in THAT city! In my opinion, it truly IS the most haunted city in the world! Good luck to you. Maybe try burning some sage, and I'm sure if you ask around, you can find someone there who knows about banishing these type of entities. Maybe try asking at the Voodoo shop in the quarter.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
have to agree with the other comments here seek a doctor for sleep problems and get checked out.

As for 3am first heard of this in the movie
"the exorcism of emily rose" ment to be the devils idea of taking the p out of the time jesus died on the cross ~3pm.
Well that's what THE ACTOR PLAYING A PRIEST SAYS!
Anyway the witching hour has always been midnight here in uk.
They are both just times in the day, nothing more nothing less
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Here's what gets me about the 3am witching hour:

1) It doesn't explain all the other hours in the day and night when activity takes place.
2) So that would mean that demons are sticklers about time. I wonder where they buy their watches?
3) This is a fairly new phenomenon, these superstitions (yes, I said it!) were not around when I was growing up. In fact, the first time I ever heard about this 'rule' was while watching an episode of "Paranormal State".
4) Contrary to popular belief, this is not from the bible either. If you believe it is, please find that passage and share it with us.

Jav 😕 🤔
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hello KudzuKristal, Your story is interesting, and could be a sleep disorder, but I wouldn't discount the paranormal. And 3am may be a witching hour. I've always felt (& heard, so possible power of suggestion) it was midnight, but 3am is a spooky time too. Hope it gets better, but try not to worry. That's hard for me but I'm learning to go with the flow.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I'm not aware if the hole 3am hour thing is BS or not. But I have awaken around this time with what I thought to be at the time just "bad dreams" (and could still be just that) but until recently discovered that they might something else all together. At the time I wasn't aware that the hole 3am thing was a ghostly hour until much later telling my story to a friend. It could have been just a coincidence.

That being said, I still feel that Kudzu may have a sleeping disorder and an over active imagination.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
KudzoKristal,
I have to agree with MissyM here. Just because you aren't known to be a sleepwalker, doesn't mean you can't become one. Just the fact that you took your clothes off in the front yard points to sleep walking. I had a cousin who did exactly that same thing during sleep walking episodes, so that doesn't change a thing in my book.
And please stop with the 3am witching hour nonsense. Around here it just gets you the boot. It's a fairytale, folklore, urban legend even. We see that come up in a story and we all get our backs up about it. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth.

Jav
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I do not put too much stock in that whole witching hour crock. That is an urban legend. The fact that you were expecting something paranormal to happen tells me the power of suggestion was involved. It also sounds like you may have or be developing a sleep disorder. I agree with others that you should be diagnosed by a doctor just to be safe. People can really harm themselves while sleepwalking.
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I do agree with MissyM about going to see a doctor about sleep disorders, just to seek out other possible explanations.
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hmm that is interesting,

Have you tried researching the house or land? I think that would be a good place to start. A building that old I would imagine has quite a bit of history. I don't know if your are religious or not but you could try keeping a cross or Bible by you or praying. I hope this helps some, good luck.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hello,

Have you gone to see a doctor about the sleep disorders i.e...? Insomnia, sleepwalking, night terrors, nightmares, and enuresis. I'm not saying your problem isn't paranormal but I would look into a more logical explanation. If all else fails then the paranormal. All five sleep disorders can be adequately evaluated in the physician's office by taking a sleep history and conducting a careful general medical and psychiatric assessment.

Rookdygin has a frequently recommended potential solution that may help your situation as well.
Below is Rookdygins Home Cleansing/Shielding:

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (Allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Hopefully the above helped and your can get some sleep eventually.

MM 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: