You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Disturbed Feeling

Real Ghost Stories

A Disturbed Feeling

 

I am currently 23 years old and live in upstate New York and have lived here most of my life. The house I currently live in is a stone house and was a part of the underground railroad. I have never had any feelings while living here of unease, however in my old house I would always get feelings that something was watching me or was with me.

Throughout my childhood weird events have happened to me in that old Victorian house. My father's uncle who passed away before I was born painted a picture of a clown and it was framed and hung up on the wall. No matter where you were in the room the clown's eyes where watching you.

One night when I had a friend over for the night we both noticed the clown's eyes were changing colors. No cars where driving by and for the most part, it was completely dark in the room. After that night, I took the painting down and it is still put away up until this day.

The most chilling event, however, happened late another night when I was alone. The house had two storeys and my parents' and brothers' rooms were upstairs. I often stayed up later then everyone downstairs and watched T.V., but when it came time for bed after shutting the lights off I would get a feeling that something was with me. One night it happened to me. I shut the lights off and used the downstairs bathroom before going up to bed. As I rounded the corner to head upstairs I picked up our cat that was sitting at the bottom of the stairs and while standing up was grabbed by something.

Something reached out and grabbed my left shoulder while I was standing up and out of fear I ripped my shoulder back and ran up the stairs as fast as I could. I didn't even look back. Being 12 years old and that scared, I ran to my room and jumped in bed and didn't say a word to my parents or brothers about it until the next day. I know what had happened was real and whatever grabbed my shoulder felt as though they had the strength of two men.

I feel as though there was something really wrong about that house even though the stone house I live in now is a lot older and has a lot of history behind it. My dad said that when he first came to look at the stone house the owner (who lives in Long Island and maybe came up twice a month) was playing this weird music about "calming the spirits".

That may be weird, but I have never been uneasy at our new place since living in for the last 4 years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dmrw135, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

glfoutch17 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Where exactly is this house? Just curious because my father told me a story about an underground railroad home built of stone he used to live next to as a kid and he returned there years later to do an electric job for the owner, to which he left with a pretty horrific experience.
bratslovergirl2011 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
I agree with you for taking the picture down. I can deal with ghosts and other things but clowns I cannot stand. What time was your experiance? 3 o'clock is proved to be the time of the paranormal. Good luck on finding your answers.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Hi, I'm not sure if were supposed to write book titles and such but the moving clown that I mentioned in my earlier post was from a book by Leslie Rule. I can't remember the title, but I enjoyed it very much. I also think her mom worked with Ted Bundy at a suicide hotline center.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Again, I agree with bacchaegrl. Clowns can be creepy. 😨. I read a story about a clown doll that several owners claimed would move around from place to place. They said as of that publishing the doll sold on ebay for $500. It's kind of interesting, the other day someone was asking if anyone knew how to cleanse a house. I thought about what I would do and one of my suggestions was to play soft music. And now your story says that there is a cd about calming spirits. That's cool. And aren't there movies where music tames the savage beast? Nice story. Thanks for sharing. Tootles.
Skye28 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
Well I can understand about the feeling of someone touching you... Myself and my daughter have felt the same thing. I would think the new house your living in now would be haunted since it has all that history about the property. But this story was really good. 😁
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
EEP! A clown picture? That itself is frightening. Is there any history behind the picture itself? Or do you think your uncle is trying to reach the world of the living through the painting? Is the painting still in your family's possession? Just to clear things up, because I got a little confused; the house you live in now is older but not haunted? It was the old victorian house that you don't live in anymore that was haunted? Which house's owner played music to calm the spirits? Can you help me to differentiate the happenings between the two houses? Maybe I'm slow, but I don't understand.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: