You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Ghost Impersonator

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Impersonator

 

Last night my best friend and I fell asleep in my room after a long night at the gym. At about 5 in the morning I got up to move to the room down the hall while my friend was still asleep. About 5 minutes later my friend came down the hall, tapped my foot, and woke me from my sleep. He said he'd thought I was still in the room because he heard me talking to him. I told him I had been left the room 5 minutes earlier while he was asleep.

He said at the foot of my bed I was standing there talking to him, recounting stories about our past as friends, or what he perceived to be me. I told him this was not true. He then said the person began moving his feet, then going up his whole body shaking him. He said he'd "fought" it off, and when he finally sat up the figure wasn't at the foot of the bed anymore, but lying next to him, but it's head facing the opposite direction. He said he thought it was me because it was my skin complexion and everything.

But he jumped out of the bed and came to get me because he'd known I had left. Before we had gone to sleep I was laying down talking, my friend has a tendency when he's tired to listen while his eyes are closed, but he's not sleeping. I told him it was probably all in his mind or he had been dreaming, but he assured me he was awake when this happened, and that he perceived the the thing to be me. He told me it even "laughed" the same as me and talked just like me as well.

Needless to say I was afraid. What could this have been? Just exhaustion after a long day or something weirder?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, edward5385, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I suggest that you try to repeat the conditions as closely as possible. In other words, go to the gym with your friend. Then, both of you go to sleep in your bedroom in the same arrangement (i.e. Whereever the 2 of you slept the first time around). See if the same thing happens. Regardless of the outcome, try it yet again. Only this next time set an alarm or something that will wake you up at 4:50am. It'd be great if you have a cell phone with an alarm clock feature so you can possibly wake yourself up without waking your friend. Then, stand somewhere outside of the room where you cannot be seen through the doorway. Wait and see if anything happens. Post the results here.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
edward5385,
I really have tried to reconcile this as a doppelganger, but because your friend stated that this entity was talking away at him about things you two did in the past, and then physically shook him, I find those two actions to be very un-doppelganger like.
The experience that Suzzy is referring to had a lot of us going back and forth for a while on that story. But it was clearly a moment of confusion on behalf of the author. It was explained away quite well by another poster as not actually making contact. And the contact wasn't with a person or entity, it was with a garbage bag. Quite a different set of circumstances there, in my opinion.
If this wasn't a sleep walking episode on your part, it could be a prankster spirit. And hopefully a one time gig.
However, if you do experience any other activity in the future, please come back here and relate that to us. You never know how this could tie in to future events. Meaning this could be just the beginning.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
I'm still having trouble getting past the fact that this entity made physical contact and interacted with his friend. Two things not associated with doppelgangers. So I'm going to have to disagree with with everyone on this.
I don't have an alternate explanation yet, but I don't think this was a doppelganger.

Jav
Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
I have to agree with many of the other posters that this sounds like a doppelganger. What their motives are, I really cannot tell, but in almost every account I have read about them they have been mostly harmless.
On the subject, my good friend Allen also awoke one night to find me loudly singing Billy Joel's 'Piano Man', even though I wasn't around at all. 😕
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
I think Carla is Car-azy! She won't respond to our little questions about where she got her brilliant ideas. She just pops up once in a while to say something diheartening or completely off subject!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
ohh death by doppleganger! I don't think so.
Interesting story and I do think like the rest is was just a doppleganger but nothing to worry about.
Has anything else happened since?

[at] carala 11 what? Where di you get that from?
The friend never mentioned seeing the op return to the other room so why would this be a possesion?
That is what your saying it was.

This comment from Carala11 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
OR more than likely a hypnogognic hallucination. Folks experience such things when they're excessively tired and in the 'dreamland' state between wakefulness and sleepiness.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
I agree with the other posters... It does sound like a doppelganger. I think it most likely used their very limited powers of suggestion to get you to consider switching rooms that night, so that it could appear. I really wish I knew what their purpose was though. They seem to pop up long enough to impersonate someone and disappear once they have been figured out. They do not seem to have a purpose in the long-term, just a short-term experience that leaves you going "huh...wonder what that was all about."
Suzzy (4 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Actually,if I recall correctly I think there's even a doppleganger story here on this site where the doppleganger (or more precisely a bag of trash that "she" was carrying) actually brushed against this man while walking past him. So there was some physical contact.

But yes,99% of the stories that involve dopplegangers don't involve physical contact at all. So this one is pretty unique. And whatever this thing was is a damn good copycat. And knows things about your past (you didn't mention if it was right about the things it was saying, but I guess it was).

But if this is anything like other "classic" doppleganger stories there is no need for worry. If so, this will probably be a once in a lifetime experience for you and your friend.

I hope there's nothing more to it and that nothing else happens.

Oh yes, and thx for sharing! ❤
p-a-s-d-e-c-h-e-v-a-l (22 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
I love reading stories about doppelgangers, but I can't look at myself in the mirror for the rest of the day without my imagination going hectic. I've always disliked mirrors, and turn down every facing mirror before I sleep ever since reading somewhere that evil spirits may find it a gateway to this dimension. Have you had any paranormal experiences before this happened?
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
edward5385,

I do not think you need to worry about what happened here. Javelina is right, there are other people that have experienced similar impersonating entities. I have yet to see anyone that actually had a bad event occur afterward. I saw a spirit/doppelganger/whateverthehell take form of my mom years ago, and we are both just fine. Don't worry about it or trick yourself into thinking something bad will happen.

Take care,

PrettyInPain 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
edward5385,
Thank you for the prompt reply. First off, there are a lot of stories and questions about Doppelgangers, and I have yet to hear of anyone dying because they saw one.
What really has me puzzled about this experience is that your friend was touched and actually shaken. All other doppelganger experiences I've read about do not have them making physical contact at all. And because of that, I am very reluctant to put this experience into that category.
I am however, wondering if your friend may have not been fully awake during this time. Sometimes we think we have woken from a dream, when in reality we are still dreaming, only it seems so real, so vivid, that we end up almost fighting to get out of the dream. It is just that real to us at the time that it's difficult to believe it isn't actually happening.
I have to think about this a little more. But I will be back.

Thank you for sharing,
Jav 😕
edward5385 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
He says he was able to move before that and that he wasn't afraid. The "presence" didn't make him afraid, rather when he was touched he couldn't move at the time he was touched. I really have no idea why I switched rooms that night, its not something I normally do but I did it just because this time. My friend says he was afraid only after realizing the thing was not me.

[at] CronishaxGurl

Dopplegangers foreshadowing bad events for myself? Or for my friend?
CronishaxGurl (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
I had just recently heard aout these things called "dopplegangers" they are like a copy of you and warn you of bad things that are going to happen to you, I.e: your death. They usually look human and not ghostly, but can vanish and such as ghosts do. I'm not saying it is, but its a good possibility its a "doppleganger"
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
edward5385,
Did you bother going back to the room to see if there was someone still laying in the bed?
Also, when your friend was touched, then shaken by who he perceived to be you, was he able to move before that, or was he frozen in fear?
Last, but not least, why had you moved to another room after sleeping the rest of the night in your own bed? Is this something you normally do, or was it just this time?
I'll wait for your reply.
Thank you,
Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: